Habs to end 112 year streak as tonights lineup doesn't feature a player from Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
It worked in '86 (Perron) and we ha 11 Qc
It worked in '93 (Demers) and we had 14 Qc
Unfortunately those glory days are long gone and they won't be coming back unless there are some big changes in how the team is run with regards to player and coach signings.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Different definitions I guess.

Franchise players: McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Hedman, and prime Ovi/Crosby.

Stars: Huberdeau, Barkov, Marner, and Pettersson.

Franchise players: LBJ, Jordan, Kareem, and Magic.

Stars: Durant, Shaq, and Kobe.

NFL is tougher.

L.T., Brown, Rice, Montana, and Brady were/are transcendent players. I won't put Mahomes here yet because it'll cause an uproar. But he's close to this list.

Baseball's transcendent players: Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, and Bonds.

Shaq and Kobe belong in the Franchise players list.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
This is the worst thing to happen since the Arkansas State House of Representatives called an emergency meeting because they were going to be without a Representative named Bubba for the first time in 50 years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Shaq and Kobe belong in the Franchise players list.
Honestly NBA has more franchise players IMO than the NHL. No way Larry Bird isn't a franchise player if Magic is. Also, Kobe and Shaq are easily there. I'd argue KD and Hakeem should also be on that list.

NBA is set up where one franchise player can tilt the whole complexity of a team, while in the NHL as good as the guys mentioned there are, if they were added to a team like the ducks/sharks/wings those teams probably still don't make the playoffs unless their are additional improvements

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
It's 2021.

And they also had a once in a generational type goalie in nets for those runs.

Living in the past isn't helping the present.
Once in a generation goalie who was born less than 10 months after an even better goalie? The generations are getting shorter and shorter it seems.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We could almost do the opposite thread with the Leafs at some point. Like 50+ seasons without a frenchie. Seems like Toronto rarely draft/sign them. Damphousse, Gauthier, Potvin are the only ones I can name off the top of my head. I haven't verified this at all, just sharing my thoughts and it's not some kind of blame either, please don't take this the wrong way.

When were the fifty plus seasons without a French player for the Maple Leafs?

Maybe in the 30's and 40's they went without, but the league was much more regional then. By the 1950's the Leafs and players from Quebec on their roster and they have never gone more than maybe a season or two season then without one.

Jim Morrison spent most of the 1950's on the Leafs blue line and he's from Montreal. Tod Sloan, who spent eight years in the 50's in the blue and white is also a Quebecker.

Their last Cup team had Marcel Pronovost and Dave Keon, and Keon goes back to the start of the 60's, so that decade is covered.

Pierre Pilote spent a year that at the end of the 60's and Jacques Plante was there for three years to start the 70's and Ian Turnbull was there for the rest of the decade. The 80's saw Vincent Tremblay, Dan Daoust, Vincent Damphousse, Gilles Thibideau, Daniel Marios and Gaston Gingras just off the top of my head. The 90's had Lucien Deblois, Felix Potvin, Benoit Hogue, Yanick Tremblay, Marcel Cousineau (and Eric Fichaud picked as a first rounder.)

In the 2000's, there was Yanic Perreault, Jean-Sebastian Aubin, Jean-Sebastian Giguere and Francois Beauchemin.

In the last ten years they had Matthew Lombardi, Stephane Robidas and Jonathan Bernier with Freddie Gauthier as a first rounder.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many as well, but that goes back to the early-50's and there's no gap at all, let alone a fifty year one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I know the majority of the board laughs at this because they would rather see the NHL turn into another bland American sport, brought to you by Disney, devoid of character or traditions. I for one am a little sad that Montreal has lost this part of its identity.

Americans don’t like the bland corporate nature of things any more than you do.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Playing a Francophone player if there are better Anglophone players available is discrimination.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
When were the fifty plus seasons without a French player for the Maple Leafs?

Maybe in the 30's and 40's they went without, but the league was much more regional then. By the 1950's the Leafs and players from Quebec on their roster and they have never gone more than maybe a season or two season then without one.

Jim Morrison spent most of the 1950's on the Leafs blue line and he's from Montreal. Tod Sloan, who spent eight years in the 50's in the blue and white is also a Quebecker.

Their last Cup team had Marcel Pronovost and Dave Keon, and Keon goes back to the start of the 60's, so that decade is covered.

Pierre Pilote spent a year that at the end of the 60's and Jacques Plante was there for three years to start the 70's and Ian Turnbull was there for the rest of the decade. The 80's saw Vincent Tremblay, Dan Daoust, Vincent Damphousse, Gilles Thibideau, Daniel Marios and Gaston Gingras just off the top of my head. The 90's had Lucien Deblois, Felix Potvin, Benoit Hogue, Yanick Tremblay, Marcel Cousineau (and Eric Fichaud picked as a first rounder.)

In the 2000's, there was Yanic Perreault, Jean-Sebastian Aubin, Jean-Sebastian Giguere and Francois Beauchemin.

In the last ten years they had Matthew Lombardi, Stephane Robidas and Jonathan Bernier with Freddie Gauthier as a first rounder.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many as well, but that goes back to the early-50's and there's no gap at all, let alone a fifty year one.

Yeah I was exaggerating to make a point that it seems the Leafs never have then. You listed a lot of them that I forgot, thanks for that. Can't help but notice the older ones are mostly anglo-quebecors, but like you said it was a lot more regional.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Different definitions I guess.

Franchise players: McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Hedman, and prime Ovi/Crosby.

Stars: Huberdeau, Barkov, Marner, and Pettersson.

Franchise players: LBJ, Jordan, Kareem, and Magic.

Stars: Durant, Shaq, and Kobe.

NFL is tougher.

L.T., Brown, Rice, Montana, and Brady were/are transcendent players. I won't put Mahomes here yet because it'll cause an uproar. But he's close to this list.

Baseball's transcendent players: Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, and Bonds.

"Huberdeau is not a star player!"...

..."he's in my star players list though.."

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Odd that "French" players listed are all Canadians. The only French player I'm aware of in the league right now is Roussel.

Roussel is from France and now resides in Chicoutimi.

P-E Bellemare is also french.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad