Post-Game Talk: Habs tank to Sens again

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
lol @ everyone complaining about coaching with the roster we have. Only forwards on that team people would take to play in their top 6 is Caufield / Suzuki and both would likely be on the 2nd line of a good team. 4th line is where most fans would put Evans and he's our 2C currently.
The funny thing is...I can remember aa far back as 2001 where people complained about the coaching and others replying with "have you seen the roster?".

Is this a chicken or the egg situation?

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Oh snap, it was the Sens moms road trip?! Jesus christ, I wouldn't have known if you didn't mention it all game and showed a gazillions image feeds of it, thanks RDS.

Holy Wow, i'm blown away.
Too bad for the Sens that most of them have a thing for authority aka a sheriff

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
A lot of people are confusing fatigue with lack of effort.

This isn't a team that lacks effort - this is just a rebuilding team, with major injuries to their forward group that is too thin to sustain performance with those injuries, who played over their head for half of a season and don't have as much left in the tank.

They are gassed, we will see more of these poor performances until the all-star break. They'll come back from all-star break and play over their heads for a sequence, before they inevitably dip like this, lose more depth at the trade deadline and sink like a stone to the bottom of the standings by the end of the year.

Next year is where we still won't make the play-offs but the standard will be different and there will be more of the future in the line-up.
I thought too, that they would have more energy after the all-star break, but I don't believe it anymore. This team got a few fresh legs over the last few games and they look just as flat as the rest. Suzuki and the AHLers looked better last year too.

Whatever pet talk MSL was doing to get his team to perform isn't working anymore. There was also regression with the defense compared to last year, whatever MSL tried to change there at the start of the season, the players want nothing to do with it.

And it won't be any different next year, Habs haven't been able to play more than 40 games for decades.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought too, that they would have more energy after the all-star break, but I don't believe it anymore. This team got a few fresh legs over the last few games and they look just as flat as the rest. Suzuki and the AHLers looked better last year too.

Whatever pet talk MSL was doing to get his team to perform isn't working anymore. There was also regression with the defense compared to last year, whatever MSL tried to change there at the start of the season, the players want nothing to do with it.

And it won't be any different next year, Habs haven't been able to play more than 40 games for decades.
Where did you think the team would finish this year? Be honest.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean this is what the team is now. If they don’t get completely bailed out by goaltending, they stink. It’s what happens when you only have one forward line worth a damn and no defensive structure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A lot of people are confusing fatigue with lack of effort.

This isn't a team that lacks effort - this is just a rebuilding team, with major injuries to their forward group that is too thin to sustain performance with those injuries, who played over their head for half of a season and don't have as much left in the tank.

They are gassed, we will see more of these poor performances until the all-star break. They'll come back from all-star break and play over their heads for a sequence, before they inevitably dip like this, lose more depth at the trade deadline and sink like a stone to the bottom of the standings by the end of the year.

Next year is where we still won't make the play-offs but the standard will be different and there will be more of the future in the line-up.
I hope for the best with Dach. He looks like a great player. My issue with him is that he’s missed so much hockey and he’ll be coming off a major injury. Hopefully he can do 82 games.

If he can stay healthy, he can be a beast. That’s a huge question mark for next year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hope for the best with Dach. He looks like a great player. My issue with him is that he’s missed so much hockey and he’ll be coming off a major injury. Hopefully he can do 82 games.

If he can stay healthy, he can be a beast. That’s a huge question mark for next year.

I'm still not worried - mainly fluke injuries that were long term. If it happens again, then yes you change plans from relying on him. But they were expecting to have him this year and they haven't.

Losing who was our best forward most nights last year for the full year is going to hurt a rebuilding team more than any other team.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Stopped watching when MSL put Gally & Pearson out there on PP1....Right after using 4 F for a D zone faceoff leading to a goal.

To read he bumped Anderson on the 1st line instead of Slaf, even if Andy was playing like shit messing up 2 on 1s and simple passes, is the cherry on top :eyeroll:

Every team has fatigue and roster issues but MSL is out there actively tanking.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm still not worried - mainly fluke injuries that were long term. If it happens again, then yes you change plans from relying on him. But they were expecting to have him this year and they haven't.

Losing who was our best forward most nights last year for the full year is going to hurt a rebuilding team more than any other team.
I know the injuries aren’t connected but the guy needs to play at least 70-80 games next year.

And that’s another reason to get Lindstrom if we can. If nothing else he could pick up the slack if Dach doesn’t pan out.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I know the injuries aren’t connected but the guy needs to play at least 70-80 games next year.

And that’s another reason to get Lindstrom if we can. If nothing else he could pick up the slack if Dach doesn’t pan out.

Lindstrom is definitely their target if they can't get Celebrini.

Whether they'll be able to pick high enough to grab him, I think we'd need to win lottery to go to 2.. or we'd have to find a way to pick at 4 or 5 at the latest.

Reactions: FLHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lindstrom is definitely their target if they can't get Celebrini.

Whether they'll be able to pick high enough to grab him, I think we'd need to win lottery to go to 2.. or we'd have to find a way to pick at 4 or 5 at the latest.
I still love the goal scoring prowess of Eiserman. It’d be like having two Caufields in the lineup. Imagine that PP with Hutson. There’d be no defense against us.

I think CC is a 50 goal guy. Imagine having two in the lineup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It has nothing to do with the result and everything to do with the way we play,
You didn’t answer my question. Look at that roster. Where did you think we’d finish?

As for how we’ve played, I think we’ve been a pretty gutsy team. We lead the league in one goal games and they’ve played better than I thought we’d be. Much of that is goaltending but the team hasn’t shown any quit - until now.

The team is out of gas. 8 games in 13 days, they’re missing key players… it was inevitable.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and bcv

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
It was embarrassing to be a habs fan tonight. For the second time in two weeks, I brought a visiting friend to the Bell center so they could see their first ever hockey game. The first one was the 6-1 loss vs Buffalo, I thought it was a one off. But to see this team get walked over by the Sens, a division and geographical rival, a team that just humiliated them less than a week ago, was the final nail in the coffin for me. I’m not paying to watch this team live again until they show me they can and want to compete. I know they’ve actually been pretty competitive overall this year but geez how can you lose like that to
MSL has nothing to do with it; guys are realizing that their fate is already sealed; they started sliding once the Money rumours started to fly. They read SM, don’t you guys think otherwise.

They also probably heard their President, VP of hockey ops and GM’s interviews, where they were essentially told that tanking is the way for now and that playoffs is a word thou shall not pronounce.

Essentially, their competitive spirit has been told that however hard you work, some valuable vets are leaving and we’re bringing up kids.

Scouts galore these days : vets will get primetime chances to shine. Not a coincidence.
I'm sure the scouts were impressed last night
Thank f*** I didn't bother to watch this game.
The hockey gods were looking out for my blood pressure last night,my streaming wasn't working for the first period 😷Second period was even worse but turned it off pretty quick.I can't even imagine how pissed that one poster was after dishing out some serious money and taking some friends to watch a hockey game for the first time on two occasions and one was the buffalo game the other was last night,there's just absolutely no excuse for the lack of effort that's becoming more and more frequent.THANKS JEFF/Kent 💩

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
You didn’t answer my question. Look at that roster. Where did you think we’d finish?

As for how we’ve played, I think we’ve been a pretty gutsy team. We lead the league in one goal games and they’ve played better than I thought we’d be. Much of that is goaltending but the team hasn’t shown any quit - until now.

The team is out of gas. 8 games in 13 days, they’re missing key players… it was inevitable.

But i did in a way that obviously you couldnt understand, i knew from the strart they wouldnt make the playoffs so anywhere from 20th to 32 was fine with me

As of how we play, well after 160 games of MSL regime they are still clueless in ther own zone, i see no improvement at all on the PK PP, and what worry me the most is even some of or young guy's on D are worst then they where at their first season..... Ghule, Xhekaj, Barron and Harris all regress, they've shown no quit for what....maybe a strech of 10 games woohoo

The team is out of gas, well they better get over it cuz that's the NHL schedule for every team in the league

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I still love the goal scoring prowess of Eiserman. It’d be like having two Caufields in the lineup. Imagine that PP with Hutson. There’d be no defense against us.

I think CC is a 50 goal guy. Imagine having two in the lineup.

I don't see them being interested. No B game. Soft on the ice. No defensive game. Hasn't really diversified his skill set.

As fans it makes sense but for what they are building, I don't think that's their guy.

Reactions: HabsMD97

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
But i did in a way that obviously you couldnt understand, i knew from the strart they wouldnt make the playoffs so anywhere from 20th to 32 was fine with me

As of how we play, well after 160 games of MSL regime they are still clueless in ther own zone, i see no improvement at all on the PK PP, and what worry me the most is even some of or young guy's on D are worst then they where at their first season..... Ghule, Xhekaj, Barron and Harris all regress, they've shown no quit for what....maybe a strech of 10 games woohoo

The team is out of gas, well they better get over it cuz that's the NHL schedule for every team in the league
Said it before and I'll say it again ,like Marty but you can't build a coach and rebuild a team at the same time,why management would take such an irresponsible gamble like that blows my mind,maybe if you've been irrelevant for a short time but not thirty years,the fans just don't deserve it especially the season ticket holders.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
But i did in a way that obviously you couldnt understand,
No, you simply sidestepped it.
i knew from the strart they wouldnt make the playoffs so anywhere from 20th to 32 was fine with me
Thank you. But this really isn’t a clear answer either. I didn’t ask what you’d be okay with, I asked where you expected them to finish. I saw them as a bottom five club without Dach. They’ve been without 2/3ds of their second line and have spent most of the season around 8th from the bottom and in almost every game. Far better than I expected. The collapse is coming now, but they’ve been a gutsy team for most of the year.
As of how we play, well after 160 games of MSL regime they are still clueless in ther own zone, i see no improvement at all on the PK PP, and what worry me the most is even some of or young guy's on D are worst then they where at their first season..... Ghule, Xhekaj, Barron and Harris all regress,
Guehle had 28 points in his first 82 games. That’s awesome.It’s the youngest blueline in the league, what were you expecting?

Growth (especially for defensemen) is not linear. It’s two steps forward one step back. It’s the greenest blueline in the league and the prime reason I expected a low finish.

they've shown no quit for what....maybe a strech of 10 games woohoo
Nonsense. You have things backwards. They’ve led the league in one goal games. It’s only recently they’ve gotten blown out.

Any team would be out of gas with 8 in 13. Esp missing the key players we are.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't see them being interested. No B game. Soft on the ice. No defensive game. Hasn't really diversified his skill set.

As fans it makes sense but for what they are building, I don't think that's their guy.
I get he’s not perfect. CC isn’t either. But guys like Bossy and Sakic were drafted later on despite showing obvious talent. Sometimes teams go overboard in looking at what a player can’t do vs what he brings.

50 goal talent is very rare. This guy probably has it. It’s definitely something to consider.

I will say this again - I’m not an authority on anything in the minors. I don’t watch these guys and only speak from a higher level and what I’ve read. So my opinion on specific players doesn’t carry a lot of water. I’m simply talking about player types. I’d draft Brett Hull top five any day. One dimensional for sure but elite goal scoring is the single best skill a player can have. If we get first overall- sure, go Cellebrini. If not? Lindstrom or Eiserman would be a great consolation prize.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The issue with the habs is that we’ve been beefing up our D with prospects and haven’t found anyone to help score. Something has to give

Xhekaj’s penalty also cemented how stupid he can be at times.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I get he’s not perfect. CC isn’t either. But guys like Bossy and Sakic were drafted later on despite showing obvious talent. Sometimes teams go overboard in looking at what a player can’t do vs what he brings.

50 goal talent is very rare. This guy probably has it. It’s definitely something to consider.

I will say this again - I’m not an authority on anything in the minors. I don’t watch these guys and only speak from a higher level and what I’ve read. So my opinion on specific players doesn’t carry a lot of water. I’m simply talking about player types. I’d draft Brett Hull top five any day. One dimensional for sure but elite goal scoring is the single best skill a player can have. If we get first overall- sure, go Cellebrini. If not? Lindstrom or Eiserman would be a great consolation prize.
I'd draft Brett Hull 2nd overall the year he was drafted (because of Lemieux). Guy has won two cups and scored 103 goals in 202 playoffs games.

BTW what a wonderful draft the CH had in 1984. Richer, Corson, Svoboda and Roy the same year. Ataboy!

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad