Post-Game Talk: Habs tank to Sens again

Pomee

Nov 26, 2006
I find the decisions lately are sketchy at best. It almost looks like self destruction. We get 3 good games where our D's looked very good with Ghule paired with Matheson and Savard with Struble and Harris with Kovacevic. Because it was going so well, we bring Barron in and change the other parings. Then we start loosing. We constantly change the pairing its insane. We had few good games from Armia, Monahan and Roy so today we split them. I do not understand where they are going with these decisions. At the end of the game you swap Slaf with Anderson. Fine with that but send Slaf to a like with a bit of Offence like Roy, Monahan and Slaf but nooo. That would have been too logical.

Also this team does not shoot the puck its insane, Slaf at then why dont you shoot the puck. There is 3 min left its not the time for the perfect play. Too much attempt at the perfect play. Not enough at the good play.
I agree! Slaf has been told many many times to shoot when so close to the net and he still decides to overpass.
With his 0 hits tonight, his demotion was well deserved.
Just not to Gallagher's line FFS!

Reactions: FLHabs and Runner77

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It going to be a long and sad second half with Dach, Dvorak, Newhook out of the line up that is 1/3 of our top 9 that is missing, + we are likely to trade Monahan, just looking at Ott having Pinto and Norris make a pretty big difference… I rather focus on making a good run in the AHL playoff.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I firmly believe that any commentary from yours truly should reflect the performance of our adored battlers.................... And I should get around to MAILING it in any day now.:shakehead

Reactions: Runner77

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Seriously, why did they send down Stephens to to this, our centers are going to get burned out like that, and also we don't want Monahan to get injured again.

I think they want to help Laval make the playoffs more then win a couple of extra NHL games. Stephens is a good 2-way top 6 C at the AHL level, probably their best.

Fine with me, the stretch till the TDL will be painful because we need to keep roster space free to add cap dumps

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
It was embarrassing to be a habs fan tonight. For the second time in two weeks, I brought a visiting friend to the Bell center so they could see their first ever hockey game. The first one was the 6-1 loss vs Buffalo, I thought it was a one off. But to see this team get walked over by the Sens, a division and geographical rival, a team that just humiliated them less than a week ago, was the final nail in the coffin for me. I’m not paying to watch this team live again until they show me they can and want to compete. I know they’ve actually been pretty competitive overall this year but geez how can you lose like that to Ottawa???

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Did you see any Sens take a run at our players like last game? So yeah, he made a difference.
...and what happened tonight in the AHL now that Xhekaj is gone?? Hmm? Goalie gets attacked. Wouldn't happen with him there. He just had to be dressed and boys behave.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So when we trade Monahan are Suzuki and Evans going to play 30 minutes a night

Newhook will play center when he's back which sucks because he was great on the wing. I really don't understand why Stephens was sent down. Why overwork Monahan and risk him getting injured? Stephens was very vanilla but that's not a bad thing per se for a 4C filling in for 2 regular centers out for the season.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I thought they played a fantastic game against the Oilers but it's been down hill from there. Where's the hustle? Btw I agree with a lot of comments itt : the Habs are slow. They dump it but can't go and pick it back.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Ah, Kovacevic. Terrible team gets blown away by another terrible team, yet still manages to be a positive +/-. You'd think that would mean something.. but nah. Back to the pressbox, sir Jonathan!

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
MSL has nothing to do with it; guys are realizing that their fate is already sealed; they started sliding once the Money rumours started to fly. They read SM, don’t you guys think otherwise.

They also probably heard their President, VP of hockey ops and GM’s interviews, where they were essentially told that tanking is the way for now and that playoffs is a word thou shall not pronounce.

Essentially, their competitive spirit has been told that however hard you work, some valuable vets are leaving and we’re bringing up kids.

Scouts galore these days : vets will get primetime chances to shine. Not a coincidence.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
MSL has nothing to do with it; guys are realizing that their fate is already sealed; they started sliding once the Money rumours started to fly. They read SM, don’t you guys think otherwise.

They also probably heard their President, VP of hockey ops and GM’s interviews, where they were essentially told that tanking is the way for now and that playoffs is a word thou shall not pronounce.

Essentially, their competitive spirit has been told that however hard you work, some valuable vets are leaving and we’re bringing up kids.

Scouts galore these days : vets will get primetime chances to shine. Not a coincidence.

This is probably true and carries some merit, it's just human nature. However they're still professional hockey players who are paid handsomely to play a game they love. There's no excuse for lack of effort even if there's seemingly nothing to play for.

Show some pride in your craft and more importantly the damn sweater, even if the team wearing it is in flux.

It's really not a lot to ask for despite the roster's limitations.

Effort doesn't require skill, it only requires character.

Last edited:
Reactions: morhilane

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
St. Louis looks like he’s losing the room.
He just might be..........systemically the way they play does not seem to work most nights......very strange, that the coaches do not make necessary changes to their gameplan, and play....

Losing to the Sens something like 8 in a row? Total joke....

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I was sure that the win against the Avs was going to give a moral boost to the team and send them into a mini-winning streak, but looks like it sapped their entire will to play for the rest of the season instead.

I'm not even sure MSL is back next season, he looks like the 4th coach this season who is done with his clowns...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A lot of people are confusing fatigue with lack of effort.

This isn't a team that lacks effort - this is just a rebuilding team, with major injuries to their forward group that is too thin to sustain performance with those injuries, who played over their head for half of a season and don't have as much left in the tank.

They are gassed, we will see more of these poor performances until the all-star break. They'll come back from all-star break and play over their heads for a sequence, before they inevitably dip like this, lose more depth at the trade deadline and sink like a stone to the bottom of the standings by the end of the year.

Next year is where we still won't make the play-offs but the standard will be different and there will be more of the future in the line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad