Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Mike Hoffman (3 years, 4.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Because starting Danault and Byron for defense in OT was such a sound strategy the last two years. And before that starting Plekanec.
I was thinking Allen at wing but

Rule 203 (c) – It is recommended that each team shall have a substitute goalkeeper who shall be fully dressed and equipped to play. Each team shall be allowed one goalkeeper on the ice at any time during the game. Or is it Section 2, Rule 5.3…

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Sure, you need to play D, unless, like MH, you have the speed to burn past opposing Ds and end OT in a hurry.

Hoffman’s not exactly a speed burner or someone who carries the puck. He’s more of a sleepy goal scorer. Bang! The puck’s in.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Because starting Danault and Byron for defense in OT was such a sound strategy the last two years. And before that starting Plekanec.

I'll agree with your point regarding Dany and Pleks, but Byron has speed and can counter nicely. Err.. let me rephrase that, had speed and could counter nicely. Still, the least defensively inclined player on the roster out on 3 v 3 is probably a bad decision. PP yes, 3 v 3 no.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Mike Hoffman at 4.5 is awssome. He’s explosive and a rare one t left hand shot. He’s capable of 25-30 goals. His age is the only knock against him but the way he skated it’s fine. We got a good goal scorer for under 5 mill. That’s really good

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'll agree with your point regarding Dany and Pleks, but Byron has speed and can counter nicely. Err.. let me rephrase that, had speed and could counter nicely. Still, the least defensively inclined player on the roster out on 3 v 3 is probably a bad decision. PP yes, 3 v 3 no.

You're right about Byron. He's made for OT.

However, if you think a natural goal scorer like Hoffman won't play in OT, you're kidding yourself.

You put him out there with someone like Evans or Suzuki.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This is the best our wings have looked in...forever?

Toffoli Caufield
Hoffman Gallagher
Drouin Anderson
Lehkonen Armia
Edit: forgot Byron, Perreault.

We're rolling 5 lines this year

Just need a stopgap 2C for a year or 2.

Have to agree this is the best we'e looked on the wing in an eternity. We are one stop-gap 2nd line C away from being a stacked offense, really.

I'd play Hoffman-Caufield, Drouin-Tofolli and Anderson-Gallagher, personally, plus Lehkonen-Armia, of course, on the fourth line.

With Hoffman, Drouin and Anderson spread across the top-9, there is speed on every line.

The-Anderson-Gallagher line, presumably with Kotkaniemi at C (if we get a stop-gap, 2nd line C) is a cycle game line once in the O-zone, with a potential for lots of greasy goals in or near the crease.

Hoffman and Caufield are both snipers who can also set up team-mates. They both have the Knack for losing themselves on the ice to free up for a one-timer, plus they like to migrate to their offsides to exploit their shots. Lots of permutations on that line and plenty of options for Suzuki to set up.

Tofolli is another that likes to lose himself out there, to find open ice from which to shoot. KK is a solid playmaker. bt so is Drouin, whom I suspect will be more of a pass-first player if his wrist hasn't fully healed yet during his time away from the rink.

Tofolli will get the puck, for sure. If KK can learn to shoot more quickly in tight spots, he can be another shot option for Drouin to set up from the wing.

Looks okay for now with question marks at C, but would look awesome with a stop-gap C to fill in for the top-6 while KK keeps progressing with great wingers in a more sheltered role.

On D, we are hacking at least one puck-moving, top-four RD, so Savard can assume mentor duites on a 3rd pair with Romanov..

Reactions: Redux91

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

However, if you think a natural goal scorer like Hoffman won't play in OT, you're kidding yourself.

Speed with skill helps:

Hoffman - Suzuki - Caufield

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I was thinking Allen at wing but

Rule 203 (c) – It is recommended that each team shall have a substitute goalkeeper who shall be fully dressed and equipped to play. Each team shall be allowed one goalkeeper on the ice at any time during the game. Or is it Section 2, Rule 5.3…

Call McNiven up to play on the banc as substitute. Progressive minds need to think outside the box and find a way around the rules.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Call McNiven up to play on the banc as substitute. Progressive minds need to think outside the box and find a way around the rules.
I even wondered - say in OT for 5 minutes straight Price takes infinite minors for moving the net if there is a rule, or we end up burning the clock and going to a shootout every time. Refs can’t bench the goalie…

But seriously would rather watch this Hoffman guy, even if he only gets one shot off, we lose possession and never touch it again. Also this just reminded me the falloff at C is steep after Suzuki (was thinking of good possession players; 3v3 means “play keep-away”).

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Hoffman is good for 45-55pts consistently. We can always dump him for a pick at some point if we want to unlike PD who is probably untradeable at that salary and what he brings.

Hoffman is not a 45-55pts player!! His last 3 seasons, if you put his production on 82 games, its 57-70-70pts.. I think most people here undervalue Hoffman offensively big
time!!! Hoffman is also pretty good during the playoffs, total opposite than Tatar who completely fold!!

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Peter svoboda might be the biggest move in the last 30 years.

Divisional trades are too risky for the Sabres. They will ask for an even bigger premium from them.

I wonder what’s the big deal to trade your superstar C within the division when you are and will be the worst team in the league for the next 5-10 years?! When you’re at the point that the Sabres are at, you’re only goal should be to improve your team as much as you can, thats it!! Who cares if Eichel scores everytime he plays against you!? It might actually help you getting a better pick!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Mom

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Mike Hoffman at 4.5 is awssome. He’s explosive and a rare one t left hand shot. He’s capable of 25-30 goals. His age is the only knock against him but the way he skated it’s fine. We got a good goal scorer for under 5 mill. That’s really good

He is more faster than Toffoli, so his age don't scare me. Toffoli his smart ability make him pretty good even with his speed. Two different player and they are going to be good at their end of contract. Pretty amazing deal for both at UFA market.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hoffman and Caufield are both snipers who can also set up team-mates. They both have the Knack for losing themselves on the ice to free up for a one-timer, plus they like to migrate to their offsides to exploit their shots. Lots of permutations on that line and plenty of
How is this line going to get possession of the puck?

Hoffman and Caufield on the same line seems like a ton of marshmallow.

Toffoli at least is a competent defensive player. He also can make plays through the neutral zone at 5-on-5. I'm not sure Hoffman is that kind of player. He seems to me like a purely PP sniper.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

Thanks for the acknowledgement re: Byron. The amount of hate he gets on this board as a waiver wire pickup and what he brings to the team always baffles me. Going forward, his value is debatable, but up to now, he's been a great value, especially considering the acquisition cost.

RE: Hoffman, yes, I understand he will likely play, but again, in contrast to previous years, the Habs are not nearly as offensively challenged, so, his deployment will need to be strategic. Honestly though, winning 3 v 3s should be less of an issue next season as well, since the games are much less likely to be 0-0, 1-1, or even 2-2. The Habs are going to score goals, so, OT will likely be less of an issue.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-8-1_13-24-40.png

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The guy played in Ottawa and seems happy to be back in Canada, according to his first interview. I know there had been issues, not hockey related, in Ottawa, but I think he's way past that now and he's a great addition to the club. He has his flaws, like any other player, but Hoffman can put the puck in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad