Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Mike Hoffman (3 years, 4.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Watched this guy play in Ottawa for multiple years. I don't buy the whole locker room cancer thing, but I did grow up in Kitchener and saw plenty of him on and off the ice and can confirm he's...different.

Loved him as a player. This guy will get you up off your seat, and has one of the filthiest shots I've ever seen. Specializes in the "ding" off the crossbar and in.

He's kind of like the moneyball version of hockey players. He continues to produce, but doesn't get any love for whatever reason. This is an undervalued player, likely in the 6.5M range. Enjoy.

Thanks for the read.

I also like the thought that this guy will be giving pointers to a guy like Caufield, not that he needs much coaching on his shot.. but Hoffman has been beating NHL goalies with that filthy shot for a long time, he likely has some good insights on what might help CC make the next step.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So, last season Hoffman signed a 1-year, 4M "prove it" type of contract.

Couldn't prove it, but now signing a longer term, 4.5M contract.

We took an older, less versatile, less productive version of Toffoli and gave him more money than Toffoli, in a flat cap year.

Makes no sense.

That'snot a fair take. Hoffman was a 50-60 point player who then had back to back 70 point seasons (Pro rated for 1 of them). So yeah he wanted a long term deal as a 70 point player and wasn't getting that so he took the 1 year prove me deal and could prove he was a 70 point player. But he still showed he was that 50-60 point player and his contract is definitely inline with that in a flat cap.

And for the record he's been more productive then Toffoli in 5 of the past 7 years, but I'll give you he might be less versatile.

I don't love the signing but be fair with the criticisms.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Thanks for the read.

I also like the thought that this guy will be giving pointers to a guy like Caufield, not that he needs much coaching on his shot.. but Hoffman has been beating NHL goalies with that filthy shot for a long time, he likely has some good insights on what might help CC make the next step.

If used properly, he should be manning the point on your PP. 4 Forwards 1 Defense. He excels here. Accurate, heavy shot with great elevation off his stick. Nearly unstoppable if it gets through the traffic.

He will aggravate you sometimes with selfish decisions but it's the price to be paid. I'll be surprised if he doesn't approach the 30G mark with you guys next season.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If used properly, he should be manning the point on your PP. 4 Forwards 1 Defense. He excels here. Accurate, heavy shot with great elevation off his stick. Nearly unstoppable if it gets through the traffic.

He will aggravate you sometimes with selfish decisions but it's the price to be paid. I'll be surprised if he doesn't approach the 30G mark with you guys next season.

I’m pretty familiar with his game from seeing him so many times with Ottawa, I always liked his game despite the warts and he definitely frustrated me as a Habs fan because of his shot. He was lethal.

Im also expecting about 25-30G from him next season, not sure where he’ll play on the PP but I like the idea of him on the point with Petry.

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli
Petry-Hoffman

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IMO, Last season MB tried to build a team for the big boy hockey North division was projected to be, thus sacrificing some speed for size.

Looks to me, MBs tweaking the roster for the more speed / skill & less physical Atlantic division expectation. The fact he voluntarily offered up at PC he’s looking for a PMD combined w L’affaire DeAngelo last deadline is quite telling..

At the end of the day, there’s only so much team building that UFA lends itself to...which to say is not a whole lot. There has to be a trade or two coming..

Yes, we can only assess the roster after a trade. But we're not faster right now with the loss of Phil and the addition of Hoffman. I suppose Perrault is faster than Perry. But MB wanted Perry back.

Anyways, I wanted us to be more skilled after having problems scoring in the playoffs.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Petry has been top 20 in norris voting 2 of the past 3 years. Most definitely a top 20 dman. And hes been playing ~23 minutes a night for 4 years now.
Petry as our best defenceman is not necessarily a problem. However, one of Edmundson/Savard/Chiarot as the second-best is far from ideal.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Hoffman is a guaranteed 20-30 goals.
He’s actually 2x faster than Tatar.
Same bad defensive zone as Tatar.
He’s taller but weaker than Tatar.
He’s gonna play the offence he’s not a 4th line player.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I wonder what we do for the PP units because Suzuki was in Hoffmans spot. I think Hoffman can play the point, but I don't think that's wise. It also seems like a waste to have them on different units.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He was traded twice because his fiancee had some kind of run-in with Karlsson's wife. First out of Ottawa and then out of San Jose after they traded for Karlsson...

Hopefully that was just some kind of misunderstanding or one-off. That whole thing was a bit of a mess.

Reactions: 26Mats

Pavel_Bure

Oct 6, 2006
I’m pretty familiar with his game from seeing him so many times with Ottawa, I always liked his game despite the warts and he definitely frustrated me as a Habs fan because of his shot. He was lethal.

Im also expecting about 25-30G from him next season, not sure where he’ll play on the PP but I like the idea of him on the point with Petry.

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli
Petry-Hoffman

I would probably go

Gallagher
Caufield-Suzuki-Hoffman
Petry

I would have prefered Perry in front of the net but Gallagher (could also be Anderson) will do. Then you got Caufied and Hoffman on the half walls creating a threat on each side with Suzuki and petry distributing the puck. You also have the petty point shot. It will be hard to defend with 3-4 good options to run. Much better than only having a Weber blast as your only PP option.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was traded twice because his fiancee had some kind of run-in with Karlsson's wife. First out of Ottawa and then out of San Jose after they traded for Karlsson...

Hopefully that was just some kind of misunderstanding or one-off. That whole thing was a bit of a mess.

I mainly hope he doesn't decline too much at 32, 33, or 34.

Pavel_Bure

Oct 6, 2006

When was he in San Jose?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...so we shouldn't trade for Swedish Jesus right now??...:laugh:

sarcasm.gif

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Watched this guy play in Ottawa for multiple years. I don't buy the whole locker room cancer thing, but I did grow up in Kitchener and saw plenty of him on and off the ice and can confirm he's...different.

Loved him as a player. This guy will get you up off your seat, and has one of the filthiest shots I've ever seen. Specializes in the "ding" off the crossbar and in.

He's kind of like the moneyball version of hockey players. He continues to produce, but doesn't get any love for whatever reason. This is an undervalued player, likely in the 6.5M range. Enjoy.
He reminds me of Bernie Nichols. insane talent great offensive player, not prone to back checking may give the appearance of not caring not intense. Bernie used to play golf on game days in LA.

The ottawa Lockeroom issue. Obviously 2 wives who did not get along. Seems like poor leadership from Ottawa's captain Karlsson more than anything IMO. Mike wanted to deal with it, Erik wanted to side with his wife. Seems like there was no proof to the Karlsson's claims against Hoffman's GF at the time. Poorly handled by Ottawa IMO.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure San Jose acquired Hoffman before they got EK65 and they flipped him to Florida because Ottawa wouldn’t trade within the division.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He reminds me of Bernie Nichols. insane talent great offensive player, not prone to back checking may give the appearance of not caring not intense. Bernie used to play golf on game days in LA.

The ottawa Lockeroom issue. Obviously 2 wives who did not get along. Seems like poor leadership from Ottawa's captain Karlsson more than anything IMO. Mike wanted to deal with it, Erik wanted to side with his wife. Seems like there was no proof to the Karlsson's claims against Hoffman's GF at the time. Poorly handled by Ottawa IMO.
It's murky what happened there. I think the team just felt it easier to deal Hoffman away. Who the hell knows what happened there? We just know it was a mess.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure San Jose acquired Hoffman before they got EK65 and they flipped him to Florida because Ottawa wouldn’t trade within the division.
You might be right. I thought it was him getting dealt away from the Sharks when EK got traded there.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Actually traded out of Ottawa. San Jose flipped him to Florida right away long before Karlsson got there. Living in Ottawa that mess was surreal. someone bullying Karlssons wife online, she blamed Hoffmans fiance, apparently without any evidence. When Hoffman tried to speak to Karlsson about it he refused to discuss it- great Captain.

Seems like there was quite a clique among the wives and GF led by Melinda Karlsson. Some other wives and GF's including Hoffman's I guess refused to bow down to the queen. If she, Hoffmans GF, did what the Karlssons accused her off its pretty low but it seems there was no proof they just "thought it must be her"

Moral of the story... the wives hold a grudge

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Actually traded out of Ottawa. San Jose flipped him to Florida right away long before Karlsson got there. Living in Ottawa that mess was surreal. someone bullying Karlssons wife online, she blamed Hoffmans fiance, apparently without any evidence. When Hoffman tried to speak to Karlsson about it he refused to discuss it- great Captain.

Seems like there was quite a clique among the wives and GF led by Melinda Karlsson. Some other wives and GF's including Hoffman's I guess refused to bow down to the queen. If she, Hoffmans GF, did what the Karlssons accused her off its pretty low but it seems there was no proof they just "thought it must be her"

Moral of the story... the wives hold a grudge
I don't know about that other stuff but hopefully it's all good here.

No more drama please.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

That would be fair to say if I didn't witness a lot of questionable behaviour first hand when I was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad