Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Mike Hoffman (3 years, 4.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I wonder what we do for the PP units because Suzuki was in Hoffmans spot. I think Hoffman can play the point, but I don't think that's wise. It also seems like a waste to have them on different units.
Suzuki on the point? elite vision

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know about that other stuff but hopefully it's all good here.

No more drama please.
Exactly Here is a news article with some of the back story. really a case of she said vs she said it seems. Court records show events before Karlsson-Hoffman dispute made public | Ottawa Citizen

The courts ruled that Karlsson did not have to turn over evidence to Hoffmans wife but basically said there was none anyway. I think it ended there. from a news story after the hearing

The judge, however, did make clear that while Caryk is looking for evidence, there simply isn’t any information before the court to suggest any such evidence exists or that Caryk was responsible for the online posts.
“Other than Mrs. Karlsson’s bald assertion and, maybe, a weak inference arising from the circumstance that Ms. Caryk knew exactly where to look for nasty posts, there is simply no evidence that Ms. Caryk did make any such postings.”
Regardless, Caryk has no right to ask for a declaration that she didn’t “post nasty things about another person,” the court ruled.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
I’m pretty familiar with his game from seeing him so many times with Ottawa, I always liked his game despite the warts and he definitely frustrated me as a Habs fan because of his shot. He was lethal.

Im also expecting about 25-30G from him next season, not sure where he’ll play on the PP but I like the idea of him on the point with Petry.

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli
Petry-Hoffman
This would like having all eggs in one basket regarding the power play. This is arguably our 5 best PP players.

5 in this group would form PP#2.

KK-Anderson-Armia-Wideman-Perreault-Gallagher

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I wonder what we do for the PP units because Suzuki was in Hoffmans spot. I think Hoffman can play the point, but I don't think that's wise. It also seems like a waste to have them on different units.

When the PP looked "fixed" at some point during the playoffs , The #1 unit was :

Toffoli - Suzuki - Perry, with Caufield and Gustaffsson on the points inverted
When they got control and setup, Gus was parked alone walking the blue line (doing okay honestly), and Caufield shifted lower to around the Stamkos spot on the PP
the right boards belonged to Suzuki, who when receives a pass from the blue line D does a turn move and either rips it aiming for the right top corner or slings a cross crease pass to what used to be Tatar, which is now Caufield (but we have yet to see a true clean pass to that CC one timer spot honestly, its been difficult to get through)
Toffoli is the slot/bumper man (does okay there honestly)
And Perry was the front net presence

So now, losing Perry and Gus and acquiring Hoffman changes things a little bit
I agree with you i dont think Hoffman should take the Gustaffson point spot, but then again im REALLy not crazy about having Petry on left point either (his zone entries are going to kill me one day too)

I think you HAVE to have Hoffman at that right boards suzuki spot unfortunately for Nick, but that doesnt mean he cant adjust to another spot on that same unit, i mean one has to think he IS that good on the PP

So its about setup configuration right now really , and they probably bring Petry back into the PP1 unit fold anyway
So personnel wise PP1 can have Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Hoffman and Petry, and PP2 can have KK, Drouin, Gallagher, Anderson/Armia and Romanov

They COULD do KK and hoffman as a PP2, but i just dont think Drouin gets back to PP1 (if he even is a hab to begin with when the season starts)

So its tough, if i had to predict the configuration, it looks something like , on the face off,
Toffoli - Suzuki - Hoffman, and Caufield left point , Petry right point

Obtain control/setup , and then im guessing, Petry alone at the blue line, Caufield shifted to Stamkos PP spot, Hoffman to the right boards, hopefully creating a Stammer-Kucherov double One timer threat, (maybe) keep Toffoli at bumper with the one time threats creating a sort of Brayden Point slot cushion for better shot opportunities

The question then becomes, were is Suzuki in all of this.. roaming around? (when I saw Martin St Louis live at the bell center, it was unbelievable to watch him just ALWAYS skating around zig zagging throughout the PP) , maybe Nick can do something like that?

They are gonna have to figure this out, or spread it into 2 PP's, but, im always of the thought you should overload the PP1 and play them 1:30/2:00 if possible

What do you guys think

Reactions: holy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When the PP looked "fixed" at some point during the playoffs , The #1 unit was :

Toffoli - Suzuki - Perry, with Caufield and Gustaffsson on the points inverted
When they got control and setup, Gus was parked alone walking the blue line (doing okay honestly), and Caufield shifted lower to around the Stamkos spot on the PP
the right boards belonged to Suzuki, who when receives a pass from the blue line D does a turn move and either rips it aiming for the right top corner or slings a cross crease pass to what used to be Tatar, which is now Caufield (but we have yet to see a true clean pass to that CC one timer spot honestly, its been difficult to get through)
Toffoli is the slot/bumper man (does okay there honestly)
And Perry was the front net presence

So now, losing Perry and Gus and acquiring Hoffman changes things a little bit
I agree with you i dont think Hoffman should take the Gustaffson point spot, but then again im REALLy not crazy about having Petry on left point either (his zone entries are going to kill me one day too)

I think you HAVE to have Hoffman at that right boards suzuki spot unfortunately for Nick, but that doesnt mean he cant adjust to another spot on that same unit, i mean one has to think he IS that good on the PP

So its about setup configuration right now really , and they probably bring Petry back into the PP1 unit fold anyway
So personnel wise PP1 can have Suzuki, Caufield, Toffoli, Hoffman and Petry, and PP2 can have KK, Drouin, Gallagher, Anderson/Armia and Romanov

They COULD do KK and hoffman as a PP2, but i just dont think Drouin gets back to PP1 (if he even is a hab to begin with when the season starts)

So its tough, if i had to predict the configuration, it looks something like , on the face off,
Toffoli - Suzuki - Hoffman, and Caufield left point , Petry right point

Obtain control/setup , and then im guessing, Petry alone at the blue line, Caufield shifted to Stamkos PP spot, Hoffman to the right boards, hopefully creating a Stammer-Kucherov double One timer threat, (maybe) keep Toffoli at bumper with the one time threats creating a sort of Brayden Point slot cushion for better shot opportunities

The question then becomes, were is Suzuki in all of this.. roaming around? (when I saw Martin St Louis live at the bell center, it was unbelievable to watch him just ALWAYS skating around zig zagging throughout the PP) , maybe Nick can do something like that?

They are gonna have to figure this out, or spread it into 2 PP's, but, im always of the thought you should overload the PP1 and play them 1:30/2:00 if possible

What do you guys think

IF, and this is a big if, Suzuki can play the top of the diamond where Gus was, the problem is solved. But that means having 5 forwards on the pp, which is a big risk. But I'd be interested to see how it would work.

And who's best to replace Perry in front of the net? I'd say it's KK - tall (so he can screen the goalie), scores most of his playoff goals from around there - or Perrault.

1st unit:
Right Half wall: Hoffman
Left Half wall: Caufield
Top of the Diamond: Suzuki
Bumper: Toffoli
Front of the net: KK/Evans

2nd unit:
Right Half wall: Drouin
Left Half wall: Petry
Top of the Diamond: Romanov
Bumper: Gallagher
Front of the net: Perrault

Last edited:

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
IF, and this is a big if, Suzuki can play the top of the diamond where Gus was, the problem is solved. But that means having 5 forwards on the pp, which is a big risk. But I'd be interested to see how it would work.

And who's best to replace Perry in front of the net? I'd say it's KK - tall, scores most of his playoff goals from around there - or Perrault.

1st unit:

2nd unit:

Ironic, 5 F on PP1 and 3 F on PP2. But yes, I think Suzuki on the point is likely the best configuration. I trust him more than Gus on the point for sure, so, not sure what the problem would be.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ironic, 5 F on PP1 and 3 F on PP2. But yes, I think Suzuki on the point is likely the best configuration. I trust him more than Gus on the point for sure, so, not sure what the problem would be.

The thing about the 2nd unit is, is that it's nice to have 2 D on that unit, because when the PP ends, and we're back to 5 on 5, definitely want to have 2 D out there.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
At this point I’d rather just see the best 5 on for 1.5 mins of the PP. It’s been so bad to watch recently.

That's the thing, after years of offensive mediocrity and brutal PPs, this team will be completely upside down next season. The offense will be way better than the D and they'll win games by outscoring opponents rather than shutting them down. It should be really fun to watch once the chemistry develops..... unless it doesn't. On the other hand, it could be a complete trainwreck. Either way, it shouldn't be boring.

Remember when the offense consisted of DD feeding Patches? Oh how times have changed.

The problem is, the lack of a strong defensive center in conjunction with the shaky D is going to be a huge issue if MB doesn't fix at least one of those issues. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't tried to get Cisikas to fill Danault's role. He must think the kids are ready to step up.

Reactions: Redux91

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

And who's best to replace Perry in front of the net? I'd say it's KK - tall (so he can screen the goalie), scores most of his playoff goals from around there - or Perrault.

1st unit:

2nd unit:

You'll want Hoff at the top of the circles or L/R point position. He's lethal from those areas.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He was traded twice because his fiancee had some kind of run-in with Karlsson's wife. First out of Ottawa and then out of San Jose after they traded for Karlsson...

Hopefully that was just some kind of misunderstanding or one-off. That whole thing was a bit of a mess.

Sharks dumped Boedker and a pick for him, then dealt him minutes later to Florida for a 2nd and whatnot.

Ottawa didn't want to trade him directly to Florida because they would have to face him.

Ottawa took less, got shafted and had to face Hoffman anyways. This is why you take the best offer regardless of who gives it if you have to trade a player.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
20210731_105430.jpg

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Not a fan of the person, the player has a great shot but that's about it. He'll help out the PP a ton but I would bet plenty he ends up a - player overall.
It's all about the quality of the relationship this guy has with the coach.
That will be the deciding factor on whether this pickup has tremendous return or if it turns out to be a complete bust.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Nice another Sniper
The guy is awesome. Berube was such an idiot not utilizing him. Most of the year he was on 3rd line and played on 2nd pp unit. Didn’t play a lot of minutes either. Only late in the year because he had to he warmed up to him and put him on first pp unit and gave him more minutes and Hoff responded. The GM here liked him but I think Hoff wanted to get away from Berube. He’ll be great for you. Bargain price contract. He’s a 5 to 6M player IMO. You win with goals and he’ll get them for you.

Jul 6, 2016

1st unit:

2nd unit:
Is it PK or by PP ? Evans or Perreault on PP ? Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad