Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Antti Niemi to one-year, one-way contract

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Worst case is it derails Lindgren's development since he is ready for NHL action and needs to start getting that experience.
Were you watching Lindgren in the A or the NHL? He wasn't ready for the big leagues last year. And how will getting starter ice time in Laval derail his development? It's not like he set the league on fire last year. He played badly down there too.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I guess, but I just feel it's time to let Lindgren sink or swim in the backup role. And if he does win the job at camp, does Niemi then take the spot of a young guy that should be playing in Laval? Not a move that was required at all.

Lingren will get way more starts in Laval. Unless you want to detour his development, this is where he should be playing.

By all means give him some NHL starts, but he's not quite ready for prime time.

Reactions: Runner77

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
No news here - just another distraction from the major issues that BargainBin can't/won't adress. I picked up a pair of socks for $1.99, doesn't mean I call it news. Show me a #1 or #2 C or LD and then I'll have something to talk about.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Lingren will get way more starts in Laval. Unless you want to detour his development, this is where he should be playing.

By all means give him some NHL starts, but he's not quite ready for prime time.

He is also not a kid anymore, he will be 25 come December, can't keep sending him to the minor using the excuse that he needs to play more. People still seem to think he is a surefire future #1 goalie, and maybe he will be, but I think he is more likely to be a very solid backup playing 30-35 games a year. I won't hold last year against him, the whole organization was a mess, but he didn't exactly light it up in the NHL or the AHL.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is also not a kid anymore, he will be 25 come December, can't keep sending him to the minor using the excuse that he needs to play more. People still seem to think he is a surefire future #1 goalie, and maybe he will be, but I think he is more likely to be a very solid backup playing 30-35 games a year. I won't hold last year against him, the whole organization was a mess, but he didn't exactly light it up in the NHL or the AHL.

Lindgren had 2 shutouts in 14 games on our team this past year. A team with a terrible defense. He is ready to be a back-up. I agree with this.

I'm also not against having him play in Laval with a better team either. Or packing him with Patch to sweeten the deal and get assets we need in return.

Signing Niemi gives us options. A very smart signing IMO

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

When you can expose the system you do it...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Lindgren had 2 shutouts in 14 games on our team this past year. A team with a terrible defense. He is ready to be a back-up. I agree with this.

I'm also not against having him play in Laval with a better team either. Or packing him with Patch to sweeten the deal and get assets we need in return.

Signing Niemi gives us options. A very smart signing IMO
It shows how streaky he was given his .908 save percentage and the fact he had 2 SOs in such a small amount of games.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I'm mostly happy to read a Habs' issued release where the actual contract term is mentioned instead of the usual "due to club's policy, the terms of the agreement weren't disclosed".

I guess that's the transparency Molson was talking about and the beginning of the post-Beauchamp era.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It shows how streaky he was given his .908 save percentage and the fact he had 2 SOs in such a small amount of games.

The 2 shutouts shows a glimpse of his potential on a team that was terrible on D. All goalies are streaky. Lindgren is ready to be a back-up and given the chance to further prove himself. The Americans would of not of had him with their team for the world championships if they didn't believe in him.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I guess, but I just feel it's time to let Lindgren sink or swim in the backup role. And if he does win the job at camp, does Niemi then take the spot of a young guy that should be playing in Laval? Not a move that was required at all.

I think another year in the AHL can't hurt. But having said that, he could also benegit from a full year with Stephane Waite.

Best case scenario: Price gets traded for a king's ransom (including a prospect or pick that becomes a #1 center) and Niemi and Lindgren split the playing time.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
What do you wanna bet that he won't?

This is a great move. Lindgren is not ready for the NHL. I don't know if he'll ever be ready. There is some question about Price's ability and health - both physical and mental. I would play Niemi around 30-35 games. He'll probably end up being the best back up in the league. That'll keep Price fresh for the playoffs and if The Saviour craps the bed at least we have a decent goalie.

I really don't think Niemi will go anywhere.
So 10.5 million for Price to play 50 games?? The Habs are f***ed

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The problem with that analogy is that if he did make Lindgren our backup he would not get to see the ice time he needs to develop as he would be backup. Being the starter in Laval will give him those minutes. The Habs have one year left of Lindgren being waiver exempt, they are wise to use it or they may one day end up in the same situation with Tinordi where he couldn't be sent down without going on waivers but at the same time clearly wasn't ready for ice time.

He would learn more as a backup in the NHL then as a starter in the AHL. He may not play as often but he'll still be facing NHL shots every day at practise, adjusting to the speed of the NHL, etc...

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

outside of Price and the hopes of Lindgren turning into a future starter we have actually become very weak with future goalie prospects, i can't see anybody besides lindgren (long shot) becoming an everyday starter in the NHL,

maybe its time to think about drafting our next "Carey Price"...in hopes version 2.0 will take us where 1.0 never could or will,

Price has an 8 year contract, but that doesn't mean he's going to be playing all those years,

if i was a goalie prospect in our organization i would ask to be traded, as our prospects will never get a fair shot with princess price around

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
What do you wanna bet that he won't?

This is a great move. Lindgren is not ready for the NHL. I don't know if he'll ever be ready. There is some question about Price's ability and health - both physical and mental. I would play Niemi around 30-35 games. He'll probably end up being the best back up in the league. That'll keep Price fresh for the playoffs and if The Saviour craps the bed at least we have a decent goalie.

I really don't think Niemi will go anywhere.

LOL.....what ??

even with Price returning to GOD MODE, and the addition of Tavares this team doesn't make the playoff next season,

with the exception of buffalo, and maybe ottawa, you do realize the other teams in our conference getting better while we stand still, dont you?

im fully expecting another top 5 pick next draft

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
LOL.....what ??

even with Price returning to GOD MODE, and the addition of Tavares this team doesn't make the playoff next season,

with the exception of buffalo, and maybe ottawa, you do realize the other teams in our conference getting better while we stand still, dont you?

im fully expecting another top 5 pick next draft

What's the opposite of rose-coloured glasses? Are those what you're wearing?

The NHL season hasn't ended yet and you're already predicting gloom and doom. Why don't you wait till The Idiot at least takes his first mis-step this off season before you regal us with your dire predictions. So far since the Habs' play ended he has made 9 moves and they all seem to be good moves. (Cut Syl, Dufresne, Carriere, JJD, Lacroix, Dudley. Added Ducharme and Bouchard. Re-signed Niemi)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Worst case is it derails Lindgren's development since he is ready for NHL action and needs to start getting that experience.

With Price's injury woes this past few seasons, he should get more time plus you never know what will happen as Niemi could easily suck and get sent down.

Disagree, it was a must that they added a goalie. With Price getting injured these past few seasons, there's no way you can bring up McNiven who's barely played in the AHL and struggled there. So they had to do this. Give Niemi the backup, if Price struggles or gets injured, Lindgren will get NHL games and if Niemi does well you can trade him at the deadline. If Niemi sucks, he can go to the AHL and help McNiven.

I know he had back to back 5 goal games against the Yotes/Leafs so that 10 goals hurt especially after getting the SO on the road vs the Hawks in his first NHL game of the season and then went on to let in only 7 goals in the next 4 games vs Vegas, Wild, Sabers and Jackets.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Plus whatever amount he plays in the playoffs. And it's not quantity of games you want from Price. It's quality of games.

PLAYOFFS? Lol. Sure thing. This team is 3-4 pieces Away from making the playoffs. I’m nkt talking little tweeks
Number 1 and 2 centre and a number 2 PMD
Then we can talk playoffs
Apparently Dreger didn’t put us in the top 5 teams contending for Tavares. Well that sucks

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You have to think the organization is being cautious and right in giving niemi a well earned, cap friendly contract. They can still send Lindgren down without putting him on waivers and frankly I'm thinking from the habs' standpoint they won't mind Lindgren having a year with bouchard in the AHL... or at least start the season there and finish it in montreal if price plays good and Niemi becomes expendable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Icing

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The NHL season hasn't ended yet and you're already predicting gloom and doom.

its called being realistic

So far since the Habs' play ended he has made 9 moves and they all seem to be good moves. (Cut Syl, Dufresne, Carriere, JJD, Lacroix, Dudley. Added Ducharme and Bouchard. Re-signed Niemi)

and you expect those moves to bring us from fourth last in the whole damn league to a playoff team? :rolleyes:

MB makes sideways moves at best.....he doesn't improve the team one bit....never has, never will....expecting more from him this off season is just being rediculous,

people who are expecting MB to do anything more this off season are acting like a kid who keeps asking for a puppy at christmas and gets his hopes up every year, he never gets the puppy, and six years later the parents continue to say the same thing...."maybe next year"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad