Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Antti Niemi to one-year, one-way contract

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I like Niemi, he’s a good goalie. This is the best goalie tandem we had since Halak was here. A bit of competition can’t be bad for Pricer.

I think price needs to be told he's the one and only to perform. Any kind of competition seems to affect him quite easily. ''tandem'' is a word he's uncomfortable with. he's an injury prone, mentally weak goalie earning 10m +/year. nowhere near being the best in the league for quite a while now. truth hurts.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Lindgren does not have as much trade value as we would like.

Maybe not but he has some & there are teams that have been interested including Fla. He's a good add to a trade if needed. And, if not, another year in the AHL wouldn't hurt him. He didn't have that great of a year.

Fucale probably isn't given a contract offer & he'll be UFA.

Reactions: dralaf

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I think price needs to be told he's the one and only to perform. Any kind of competition seems to affect him quite easily. ''tandem'' is a word he's uncomfortable with. he's an injury prone, mentally weak goalie earning 10m +/year. nowhere near being the best in the league for quite a while now. truth hurts.
like 2 seasons?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Lindgren holds much of any value. Most teams have goalies like him in their ranks. He has shown nothing special. 2SO in 14GP...ya, an 3GAA, and low SA at 908, 14 games is a small sample. Down in the AHL....914 and 886 over 2 different seasons.
Honestly, if I were a fan of other teams, I would have very little interest in Lindgren.

I heard this prior to last year when he only played 3 NHL games. Add another 14 games last season and he looks promising. The US would of not had him part of their roster for the world championship if they didn't believe in him. He has great stats and aside from one bad game against the Coyotes, he played very well for us in a year where our defense was one of the worse in the league.

I think he has value but alone by himself in a trade is limited due to only a 17 NHL sample size. However, if he continues to do what he has been doing, his stock value is on the rise the more he is a proven asset. Add him in a package with Patch and a team looking for a young goalie who is NHL ready will be interested. He might be a piece to make the deal happen.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I heard this prior to last year when he only played 3 NHL games. Add another 14 games last season and he looks promising. The US would of not had him part of their roster for the world championship if they didn't believe in him. He has great stats and aside from one bad game against the Coyotes, he played very well for us in a year where our defense was one of the worse in the league.

I think he has value but alone by himself in a trade is limited due to only a 17 NHL sample size. However, if he continues to do what he has been doing, his stock value is on the rise the more he is a proven asset. Add him in a package with Patch and a team looking for a young goalie who is NHL ready will be interested. He might be a piece to make the deal happen.

I remember you were flaunting him around before he got his second call up this season and I tried to educate you on sample size but you didn’t listen. He came down to earth hard. His pro stats are average to below average. There’s no value you in him as of today.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember you were flaunting him around before he got his second call up this season and I tried to educate you on sample size but you didn’t listen. He came down to earth hard. His pro stats are average to below average. There’s no value you in him as of today.

You know what... How about you reply to other peoples post. I really tired of you and your controversial ways and grudge match with me. I'm interested in having hockey discussions, not post wars. I can tell you I am still intrigued with Lindgen after last year as he showed a lot of promise but your going to pin me down as saying I think he is the next Price or something along those lines. 2 shutouts in 14 games and he played very well for us on our team with a bad defense. He had one bad game against the Coyotes. And BTW, Team USA believes in him just as much as I do. Am I saying he is a legit future #1 Starter. NO! You are purposely interpreting it incorrectly so you can make fun.

Last time I ask you... I'm interested in having a hockey discussion where you don't twist things to belittle. If this is your focus... move on and don't reply please.

"you tried to educate me" eh. You are full of yourself thinking that your opinion is fact and how your miss understand what I am saying.

Lindgren has value today. Saying he has no value is BS. McCarron is the one who has little to no value on the trade market.

How many goalies do you know of have 17 games played as a 24 year old? List them and then look at their stats at that point in time.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You know what... How about you reply to other peoples post. I really tired of you and your controversial ways and grudge match with me. I'm interested in having hockey discussions, not post wars. I can tell you I am still intrigued with Lindgen after last year as he showed a lot of promise but your going to pin me down as saying I think he is the next Price or something along those lines. 2 shutouts in 14 games and he played very well for us on our team with a bad defense. He had one bad game against the Coyotes. And BTW, Team USA believes in him just as much as I do. Am I saying he is a legit future #1 Starter. NO! You are purposely interpreting it incorrectly so you can make fun.

Last time I ask you... I'm interested in having a hockey discussion where you don't twist things to belittle. If this is your focus... move on and don't reply please.

"you tried to educate me" eh. You are full of yourself thinking that your opinion is fact and how your miss understand what I am saying.

Lindgren has value. Saying he has no value is BS

His value is no different then dozens of other goalies in similar situations. He was awful in the AHL, and he was just as awful finishing in Montreal this season. Twisting things? I’m not. You were throwing 11 career NHL games around like that made Lindgren some superstar prospect and it blew up in your face. Of coarse I’m going to make sure I let you know you were wrong. You completely ignored what I stated about sample sizes being important for goaltenders.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His value is no different then dozens of other goalies in similar situations. He was awful in the AHL, and he was just as awful finishing in Montreal this season. Twisting things? I’m not. You were throwing 11 career NHL games around like that made Lindgren some superstar prospect and it blew up in your face. Of coarse I’m going to make sure I let you know you were wrong. You completely ignored what I stated about sample sizes being important for goaltenders.

You are taking a pessimistic approach and I am just intrigued by a young goalie who showed promise. That's what it boils down to. What Lindgren has done in his 17 games at the NHL level is not average. Our AHL made the playoffs once in the past 6 years and Lindgren was a huge factor. You bring up the AHL team last year and yeah, they were depleted of assets cause the NHL team called up several players all year. How convenient for you.

Lindgren showed promise. The US team acknowledged it by adding him to the team. Does this mean he is a guaranteed future #1 starter. NO. It just means he has shown promise and a lot of people have acknowledged it except for you. You want to see a larger sample size and so do we all. Doesn't mean you can't be intrigued by a young prospect who has shown promise.

As far as his value by himself on the trade market? Hard to pin down cause he is a good young goalie with a small sample size in the NHL. If you want him by himself, you will have to overpay cause why would we just give up on him?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

He's a 24yo undrafted goalie, with 17 NHL games of experience, 908sv over last season, with a career .900 losing record in the AHL. He is not a hot commodity. He is nothing special.
Oh..he was selected by Team USA for the worlds...Euh, ya....and? So was Jordan Oesterle..Who gives a crap.

He has no value. He is no different than any other decent goalie prospect on other teams.
At the most he is a small add on. If he plays awesome next year, well then, that might change things.
But I am talking as of right now.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Good resigning of Niemi, this will give Lindgren more playing time in the AHL.

a 25 year old goalie SHOULDN'T NEED more playing time in the AHL!!!

last season was the perfect time to just give Lindgren the ball and let him run with it.....we had nothing to lose anymore, instead they chose to keep starting a washed up old timer who has no long term future here....

makes no sense!

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
a 25 year old goalie SHOULDN'T NEED more playing time in the AHL!!!

last season was the perfect time to just give Lindgren the ball and let him run with it.....we had nothing to lose anymore, instead they chose to keep starting a washed up old timer who has no long term future here....

makes no sense!

They should have given him more starts last year and less to Neimi but they should have done a lot of things like play Carr, Jarebak, DLR, more not less. Not put Scherbak with waivers Shaw, etc...

That said I wouldn't look at this age. Yes he'll turn 25 in mid December but that's due to him being late to the NCAA. Here's how his career has gone.

First he was in the USHS, the same team that Poehling would later play for. After his 4 years there he went to the USHL which is common for kids in the USHS. He was committed to SCSU but they had a very good goalie in Mike Lee (Yotes pick) and Lindgren from his stats didn't seem to set the USHL on fire so they had him repeat a year where he got the bulk of the starts and stats wise did much better.

So then he goes to the NCAA as a 20 year old Freshman, a year older then the bulk of Freshman especially ones that aren't drafted or are undersized. The first year he put up solid numbers but didn't play much. His 2nd year he was named starter and did well enough. His 3rd year he was among the top goalies in the league, and opted to leave to turn pro.

So that takes him to the AHL after playing 1 NHL game. His first year he puts up good numbers on a bad team. Then his 2nd year he puts up terrible numbers on a worse team. So now he's up to his 3rd pro season. To date he's played 17 NHL games and 5021 minutes in the AHL or about 84 games.

Now we'll see what he does at camp, he should get more NHL games if he can't beat out Niemi, who should get the job after his strong season but since he's struggled the past few years before joining the Habs who's to say he keeps the job. If Niemi does well then the Habs can trade him, if he stinks they can send him down.

I've seen a good bit of Lindgren, I think he can easily be Price's backup this up coming season. But I also don't have a problem with him spending time in the AHL and either getting the backup job later in the season or at worst the following unless of course he's thrown in a trade.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
Good signing.
Lindgren can improve his overall game at AHL level one more season... Or get involved in a trade.

Niemi has re-gained his mojo with Stephane Waite around.

And our 10,5 Million $ Goaltender should show up this season...hopefully.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Niemi earned it that's for sure, and I guess it's better to make Lindgren work for the back-up spot rather than just handing it to him.

I wonder if there's also a sense of security in Niemi-Lindgren if Price gets injured again.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Was it just me or did Lindgren get worse as the season went on. He had a nice hot streak where he looked like he could steal Prices job but after that and Nieme was signed I didn't find him very impressive. I don't know if he is NHL ready just yet, and I don't know if sitting on the bench for 60+ games would benefit him.

Surprised to see such a positive reaction on here. Thought there would be a lot more negative to this deal. Odds are Nieme doesn't finish the season in a habs sweater. Didn't he get claimed TWICE last year?

His value will slide before TDL comes along.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dunno how do you call someone happy about this signing? I mean like if him instead of Lindgren would change anything ...

logical people? You can't go into the season with Price, Lindgren and McNiven as your goalie depth when Price has been injured these past few years. So who cares about Niemi, either he plays well again and we trade him for a late pick or he sucks and either helps us get a better draft pick in '19 or goes to the AHL to mentor McNiven.

You don't have to like Niemi, to like the deal, we had to have someone and we aren't going anywhere so what's it matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad