Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Antti Niemi to one-year, one-way contract

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I too wonder what it means for Lindgren -- is he being dangled?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Have to say I'm happy to see it. He was great and working with Waite really rejuvenated his career. he can always be traded for a pick and Lindgren will have to earn the spot or pend another year developing in a league where he didn't have good numbers last year and started to show weakness in the NHL once the shine wore off.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Lindgren outplays him we can just send him down to the AHL to split time with McNiven, won't cost anything on the cap.

Happy for Niemi, looked like his career was done at the start of last year and he earned his way to another contract.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
giphy.gif

I guess it's not a bad idea to have competition, but I'd rather have Lindgren backing up Price next year.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Good Safety net signing in case of injury or Lindgren underperforming start of next year since he has another year of being able to pass waivers

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'm calling waivers by November. Lindgren should be just fine as a backup and when Niemi gets exposed once again as a simply unreliable goalie, Lindgren's gonna get his job. Happy for Niemi though, he definitely earned himself another NHL contract, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen with the Habs.

Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He earned this contract with his play last season, so good for him.

With that said, I seriously doubt he finishes the year here next season. He will be waived at some point.

He'll bring us a 3rd or 4th rounder at the TDL. Gotta manufacture those draft pick opportunities.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

He could be but since he can be sent down without needing to go on waivers my guess is the Habs want him to have experience playing a lot of games for a winning team for once.

While there are benefits with Lindgren staying in the NHL, barring him having a fantastic camp I think he can stand to benefit playing for a good team for once in the AHL. There are also aspects of his game that he can work on with greater focus like his rebound control down there.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'm calling waivers by November. Lindgren should be just fine as a backup and when Niemi gets exposed once again as a simply unreliable goalie, Lindgren's gonna get his job. Happy for Niemi though, he definitely earned himself another NHL contract, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen with the Habs.

This signing is quite beneficial in several ways. Either this pushes Lindgren to be better and he responds which leads to Niemi being traded for a pick/waived or Niemi keeps up his play which allows him to bring in a pick at the deadline or Niemi collapses and can simply be waived.

Gotta say though, "37" on a goalie still looks weird to me. Shades of Andre Raciot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Doubt it. Just insurance policy. Bergevin does not want another Price-Condon situation.
Lindgren isn't a proven prospect yet that can be counted if Price goes down for a significant amount of time. Given the terrible season we just had, and the other one 2 years prior, Bergevin doesn't want to repeat that same mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad