Pre-Game Talk: Habs @ Sens Saturday 10/20 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah like it's been said, night and day difference between Habs and Leaf fans.

Most Habs fans really know the game of hockey and you can get into some pretty good discussions with some of them about their team and the NHL in general. They are very proud of their team and they show it but I've always found them to be pretty respectful for the most part.

Leaf fans (Especially the Ottawa born and raised Leaf fan) is a whole other level. I've never went to a Leaf game in Ottawa that wasn't a total gongshow in the 300's. It's really not a fun night if you just want to watch and talk some hockey.

It's weird though, if you go to a game in Toronto as a Sens fan, they are generally pretty nice and are a complete 180 of how they are in Ottawa.

Reactions: Silencio

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I really need an explanation as to why does GB needs to put White in the top 6? What has he shown to warrant a top 6 position? Top 2 lines are for players who have some offensive skills like lethal shot, stick handling or ability to control the play, and White has none of those skills. He is a good defensive players and is well suited for a bottom 6 role, preferably on the 3rd line.

Now why is his ice-time so low? That is another discussion

I can name a bunch of players who clearly deserve to be in the top 6 ahead of him

Duchene
Stone
Dzingle
Thachuk
Tierny
Boedker
Ryan
Formenton

At this point, if I need a player to actually fill in a top 6 position to help with the offensive, I would bring up Batherson or Balcer before putting White in there

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I really need an explanation as to why does GB needs to put White in the top 6? What has he shown to warrant a top 6 position? Top 2 lines are for players who have some offensive skills like lethal shot, stick handling or ability to control the play, and White has none of those skills. He is a good defensive players and is well suited for a bottom 6 role, preferably on the 3rd line.

I can name a bunch of players who clearly deserve to be in the top 6 ahead of him

Duchene
Stone
Dzingle
Thachuk
Tierny
Boedker
Ryan
Formenton

At this point, if I need a player to actually fill in a top 6 position to help with the offensive, I would bring up Batherson or Balcer before putting White in there

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but it would be nice if he could play over Pyatt/Paaajarvi, no? Also, if GB is serious about White playing center long-term, he needs to actually get some play in that spot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Duchene
Stone
Dzingle
Thachuk
Tierny
Boedker
Ryan
Formenton

No problem... He needs icetime ... top 9 or Belleville imo

Reactions: stempniaksen

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
His rightful position at this point in time is centering the 3rd line, ahead of Smith

Paajvari - White - Pyatt
Paul - Smith - Carey

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
His rightful position at this point in time is centering the 3rd line, ahead of Smith

Paajvari - White - Pyatt
Paul - Smith - Carey

I like White, but he clearly hasn't earned it. They do give him PP time, but he will have to be better to get more ice time, and better lines.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I like White, but he clearly hasn't earned it. They do give him PP time, but he will have to be better to get more ice time, and better lines.

He definitely has earned it. He produced every time he's put in a position to. You don't get many opportunities to produce from the 4th line though...

Boucher gonna Boucher

Reactions: Boud and Samsquanch

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He definitely has earned it. He produced every time he's put in a position to. You don't get many opportunities to produce from the 4th line though...

Boucher gonna Boucher
Well, two decent games sandwiched between invisible games us not the consistency that coaches are looking for. I like him, but he is too hot/cold at the moment.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, two decent games sandwiched between invisible games us not the consistency that coaches are looking for. I like him, but he is too hot/cold at the moment.

He produced when given the opportunity (quality linemates and playing on the top PP) and gets shut down for minor mistakes that result in a goal against.

Boucher clearly doesn't like White. So be it, not like anyone can do much about it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He produced when given the opportunity (quality linemates and playing on the top PP) and gets shut down for minor mistakes that result in a goal against.

Boucher clearly doesn't like White. So be it, not like anyone can do much about it.

I think he is trying to get a message through to White. Why can't Boucher be allowed to coach a rookie? Can he not try and make him better or...

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Any decent NHL player would put up a couple of points playing with top end players. Kelly scored 17 points in 15 game or so, centering Healthy and Alfredsson. That doesn't mean Kelly is a top 6 players.

Hoffman and Dzingle came into the league also playing on the bottom 2 lines, and actually force their way into the top6 with their skill (not talking about their speed). White, so far, has failed to do that. If he has the talent he will also force his way into the top6.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

He gets juggled around all game long, its beyond frustrating. He's been far more consistent than his usage would suggest.

Pyatt and Paajarvi had a grand total of 0pts between the two of them. Thats about what you would expect from guys playing 8-10 mins a night. Yet despite Boucher's best efforts to sabotage him, White is still finding ways to make an impact and produce.

Let him play 2 or 3 games at the same position, with the same linemates (decent ones), FFS. Give him the same opportunity that we've given to Formenton and Tkachuk. And who knows, once he gets comfy we might end up with another reliable top 9 forward.

Like what do we honestly have to lose at this point?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The sooner PD moves the UFAs Pyatt, Paajarvi, Carey & Wideman & replaces them with Paul, Chlapik & maybe Batherson & Jaros the better the team will be IMO.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think he is trying to get a message through to White. Why can't Boucher be allowed to coach a rookie? Can he not try and make him better or...

My issue isn't that White isn't getting 20+ minutes a game. It is that he gets benched for very little. Usually, that isn't the best way to build confidence.

That being said, I don't know Colin White, maybe he's the kind of guy who responds best to that kind of feedback? It isn't impossible. Still, hard to imagine him not being frustrated at getting benched as soon as he does a little something wrong.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Leaf fans are waaaaaaaaay uglier IMO

iu

Reactions: Xspyrit and branch

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Oh.

So now you'll explain to us how Zack Smith earned the 2nd line center spot with Stone and Tkachuk to start the season after getting waived due to poor performance?

Reactions: branch

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Paajarvi and Pyatt are absolutely fine, I see no need to get rid of them: both are fast, effective skaters who know their limits and play well within them all while being very cheap.

There's no "need" to get rid of them, but they also don't have a future with this team. Assuming we can get anyhting of value for them we should trade them before the deadline. That being said, it's entirely possible neither one brings anything of value back in a trade, so letting them plug holes on the 4th line isn't the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad