Habs score 10 goals against Detroit

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I mean good for them, not trying to take anything away from it but man.. looking at all the scorers, such a lack of high end skill on that team.

Reactions: Beville

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Oh how the mighty have fallen. This is just one loss but it is part of a time bomb that been ticking for a couple years now.

The loss of some of the best players in the league to retirement/leaving/aging, the salary cap, the bad long term contracts they have given to middling players and all the draft picks they traded away during the glory years of winning/trying to win cups have finally caught up to them the past two years. They also have a dinosaur of a GM that I question his ability to rebuild the team and what looks like an over his head coach. It's understandable why things don't look so good right now.

They had a 25 year run of great success that any hockey city would be envious of. Being born and raised in Detroit and being a former fan of the Wings during the Dead Thing era, I know what it meant to me to have a team to be proud of. After so many years of sustained success this downturn must be disappointing to all Wings fans. They are not completely out of it but they do not appear to be a playoff caliber team again this year.

On a positive note they have a few young players that are promising. It's time for a rebuild and a few down years. Hopefully for Wings fans, management will get their heads straight and turn the reigns over to someone that can accomplish that.

Kronwall after the game, talking to journalists, he said it was the most embrassing thing he's ever witnessed ever since he joined the Wings.

The mighty have fallen hard. Just disappointed Zetterberg just didn't point to Holland at the end and mouth off "this is my last game as a Wing!".

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
It's what happens as the result of having an incompetent GM, an AHL Coach, and not having a defense since Lidstrom retired, and the organization kidding itself into thinking everything is perfectly ok.
Hmm.. Did Holland lose his mojo or what exactly happend to him? Don't know much about Blashill, so juding him wouldn't make much sense..

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Said it in the game thread. Literally the worse display of defense I've seen at a pro level ever. They left Mrazek and Howard out to dry all night.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
so was this price's last game as a hab?

The Wings fans probably hope it was the last one for Mrazek in their uniform.

Seriously though, can't blame on goalies for this massacre. I have probably never seen a sloppier team than the Wings last night.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Scoreboard:
Byron gets a hatty
Whipping boy Galchenyuk with 4 assists
4th line with 8 points combined

This is not real life.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Like I said, the Red Wings are trash.

Even with Blashill fired, the next coach won’t make the team any better.
Yeah there's no way to go but down for a team with 7 straight losses during which they've allowed 36 goals (5+ GAA per game) and scored 14 (2 G/GP).

Nah, no coach in the world could keep them from losing 6-3 and 10-1 against a team that is 24th in the league at GF/G, with superstar scorers like Byron, De La Rose and Shaw.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Yeah there's no way to go but down for a team with 7 straight losses during which they've allowed 36 goals (5+ GAA per game) and scored 14 (2 G/GP).

Nah, no coach in the world could keep them from losing 6-3 and 10-1 against a team that is 24th in the league at GF/G, with superstar scorers like Byron, De La Rose and Shaw.

Byron's a legit good player. He scored over 20 last year despite limited PP time. He's got decent hands and an underrated wrister. Combined with his all-world speed, he's a legit threat. People tend to forget this but Byron was actually an essential piece in the trade that sent Regehr, Kotalik and a 2nd rounder to Buffalo back in 2011. Calgary definitely made a blunder exposing him on waivers two years ago.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I really hope MTL squeeks in the playoffs, that would be fun

They are not going to squeek in. They have always been the second best team in the division behind Tampa Bay. At least when Price is at his usual level, which he is now. As I've said on many occasions, the Habs will finish ahead of the Leafs and will play against them in the first round. We'll see how Price can do against Matthews then, because Auston has had his number until now.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
They are not going to squeek in. They have always been the second best team in the division behind Tampa Bay. At least when Price is at his usual level, which he is now. As I've said on many occasions, the Habs will finish ahead of the Leafs and will play against them in the first round. We'll see how Price can do against Matthews then, because Auston has had his number until now.
I would hope for missing the playoffs if I were you. At least that would increase the chance of acquiring a prospect or two that might be able to start digging the team out of the hole Bergevin has put you in

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Said it in the game thread. Literally the worse display of defense I've seen at a pro level ever. They left Mrazek and Howard out to dry all night.

That Benn goal was really something, absolutely wide open with all the time in the world to take a shot

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Hmm.. Did Holland lose his mojo or what exactly happend to him? Don't know much about Blashill, so juding him wouldn't make much sense..
Holland had those around him that made him appear more competent than he actually is, a la Bowman, Nill, McDonnell. Once those people have left, his actions (and lack thereof) have exposed him as an average GM at best, his contract management skills alone are evidence of that.

Blashill is at best an AHL Coach, that is doing a poor attempt at trying to mimic Babcock's style, but not having a real clue how to do it in the process. As I've stated before, it's sad that Mike Ilitch's health was in such poor decline the last couple years, otherwise I truly feel changes would have been done a long time ago. His son that took over majority ownership, is a bean counter that only cares about numbers & profit, when his father provided him the opposite example of how to run a hockey franchise, sadly, which is why this organization is in such shambles, all around. Serves them right though when for so many years they neglected a true rebuild, in order to extend a meaningless playoff streak, only to get blown out in the 1st round, year after year.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Holland had those around him that made him appear more competent than he actually is, a la Bowman, Nill, McDonnell. Once those people have left, his actions (and lack thereof) have exposed him as an average GM at best, his contract management skills alone are evidence of that.

Blashill is at best an AHL Coach, that is doing a poor attempt at trying to mimic Babcock's style, but not having a real clue how to do it in the process. As I've stated before, it's sad that Mike Ilitch's health was in such poor decline the last couple years, otherwise I truly feel changes would have been done a long time ago. His son that took over majority ownership, is a bean counter that only cares about numbers & profit, when his father provided him the opposite example of how to run a hockey franchise, sadly, which is why this organization is in such shambles, all around. Serves them right though when for so many years they neglected a true rebuild, in order to extend a meaningless playoff streak, only to get blown out in the 1st round, year after year.
All this doesn't sound very promising regarding the Wings future. Thanks for that little insight, appreciated! Still hoping they'll turn things around, though having ownership who only cares about numbers isn't exactly something to be hopeful about. Always enjoyed watching the Red Wings teams, maybe they'll manage the turnaround in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad