News Article: Habs Reportedly Looking Into Launching Their Own Streaming Service

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The only reason I have cable is for hockey games.

I am eagerly waiting for a stream service so I can kill cable forever.

Bell fibe TV, my guy. You need a chromecast, or something to stream to your TV. Someone said they have an app for smart tvs, but I've been too lazy to search.

25ish bucks + tax gets you all TSN channels and Sportsnet channels. You dont get Sportsnet one, so you have to pay 4 bucks just for that channel and that brings it up to 25

What good is streaming? The video will probably freeze every 2 seconds.
it happen, but its usually the free streams, or 3rd party ones. Using sportsnet through their own streaming service and now through Bell i havent had any issues like that.

If you're out in the sticks, then yeah your speeds might not be good enough, so tv would be a better choice.
How large is a region? The city only? What about Sherbrooke or Quebec city?
Sherbrooke and Quebec City would be in the Habs area.

So, in order to watch all Habs games in English you would need both TSN and Sportsnet.

If the game is on both TSN and Sportsnet it will be blacked out on Sportsnet if you're in the region.

I might be mistaken, but I believe Habs region is eastern Ontario, Quebec and the maritimes

Sens is Eastern and Northern Ontario, and Western Quebec.

Toronto is Southern Ontario.

Winnipeg is Western Ontario (might also be Northern Ontario, too)

Again, I'm pretty much guessing here on most, except for the Habs being Eastern Ontario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paddyjack

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I understand maximizing revenue and getting control on all image but they might also be killing the golden goose… if you charge and restrict viewers

Last year NESN 360 launched at $ 30.00 USD ($40+ Cdn) a month.
You get the Bruins games and Sox games....I have not seen them announce they are
going out of biz....so they must have found some to pay that....

All the teams are going for it ....there will be a day a lot of fans will get
priced out of watching games totally (can't afford arena tickets or live streams etc)
...the days of watching for free,or cheaply are coming to an end ...they are in the process of trying to lay that foundation now.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I cant wait. I still pay for f***ing Bell just for Habs games and the RDS/TVA content is so f***ing poor.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I understand maximizing revenue and getting control on all image but they might also be killing the golden goose… if you charge and restrict viewers

The golden goose is on the jersey, coloured Blue, White, Gold

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 9.43.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 9.43.40 AM.png
    650.6 KB · Views: 1

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Reading this thread, the dent it's going to do to the Quebec cable industry is going to be enormous if it happens.
The entire existing system is going to get whacked - TV & Radio.

Cable, as in internet providers, will make out like bandits as the need for more bandwidth will only increase.

Does Bell still have ownership stakes in the consortium? I’m guessing they’ve either sold out or are about to liquidate, with training facility name change, and now this news which is direct competition to TSN / RDS and TSN690.

It’s inevitable though, we got rid of cable TV in Jan’2020 and we were probably the last in our neighborhood to do so. Instead upgraded to giga internet for streaming, I had only kept cable for NHL center ice to get Habs games.

Have lost count of how many apps we’re at now, they operate like the banks, $10 for this app, $15 for another and before you know it …

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
As long as it's under 300 and includes all games, with spoiler-free replay capabilities, I would buy it.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
As long as it’s cheaper than NHL Center Ice and Habs games aren’t blacked out where I live, I’m all in, baby!
Exactly. Please have video. Im so sick of regional blackouts. Who gives a crap about radio? Get with the times!

As long as it's under 300 and includes all games, with spoiler-free replay capabilities, I would buy it.
Yes. It's got to have the ability to rewatch the game since you probably can't record.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Hate to break it to you, but we're already there. The Habs already control the sycophantic media in this city though access and the fact that this is a one-team High-School football town. All these media losers make all their money off of this one team. If interest in the team wanes, they themselves lose money, so they need to be towing the company line at all costs.
Honestly. Who cares? You're a fan of the Habs. Is it really terrible that a commentator is a homer? I don't give a crap if he's singing Connor McDavids praises. I want to hear about the Habs.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Cable, as in internet providers, will make out like bandits as the need for more bandwidth will only increase.

Does Bell still have ownership stakes in the consortium? I’m guessing they’ve either sold out or are about to liquidate, with training facility name change, and now this news which is direct competition to TSN / RDS and TSN690.

It’s inevitable though, we got rid of cable TV in Jan’2020 and we were probably the last in our neighborhood to do so. Instead upgraded to giga internet for streaming, I had only kept cable for NHL center ice to get Habs games.

Have lost count of how many apps we’re at now, they operate like the banks, $10 for this app, $15 for another and before you know it …
I think TSN690 was going down even without this move. Bell Media closed multiple radio stations this summer across the country and I feel like TSN690 barely survived the cut. Bell Media recent actions might be why the Habs are looking to stream match audio themselves ASAP actually.

TVA Sports was on the death clock already. They can't make it without the Habs making the playoffs every years, which is a terrible business plan...

RDS will stick around because they have other broadcast rights and there isn't much French sport streaming/channel to watch.

But yes, the streaming apps are just worst than cable TV in term of price cost. Adds up fast if you want everything...

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Basically adds up to cable, except you get rid of "commercials" and you can watch mostly what you want, when you want.

Reactions: salbutera

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's a very real and serious problem that Habs game are hard to watch unless you have cable, which people my age don't. That shit just isn't centralized and it's a pain in the ass.

With that said, the effect on channels will be tremendous if that goes go through.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Hate to break it to you, but we're already there. The Habs already control the sycophantic media in this city though access and the fact that this is a one-team High-School football town. All these media losers make all their money off of this one team. If interest in the team wanes, they themselves lose money, so they need to be towing the company line at all costs.

This is blatantly false.

Do you live in Montreal?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You think streaming doesn't have commercials? :laugh:

If it makes them money, they will put it in.
I put it in quotations, as most places don't have thar and if they do, you can pay to get premium and avoid "commercials", or I guess ads. I do this for YouTube. Well worth it, but unfortunate.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Man, I'm envious of that great one-liner. It's original and funny.
Well thanks Habs Icing, I have always been a fan of your posting, it's been a while now.

However, I'm envious that I'm not too articulate online and all the great hockey talk happens quickly and since I don't like to say the same things someone else has already said, I'm left just being a jokester, a Pagliacci for the Habs board if you will. ;)

But I do enjoy reading most and I read a lot here, and sharing likes, loves and laughs with those I enjoy. I guess it's a thoughtful Friday morning as I slowly ingest my coffee and ponder the rest of my day. Haha. Cheers!

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
This is blatantly false.

Do you live in Montreal?

Yes.

I'm not sure what part of what I said you think is false, but the Canadiens vastly and exponentially overshadow everything else in the city. They're like the High School football team in a small town. The only thing anyone cares about.

people call Montreal a hockey town, but it isn't. It's a Montreal Canadiens town.

Reactions: DougHarvey

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yes.

I'm not sure what part of what I said you think is false, but the Canadiens vastly and exponentially overshadow everything else in the city.

They certainly do but to pretend that the media in this city is just a bunch of sycophants to the Habs is silly. Too many people expect them to act like HF posters. It's not going to happen. They're in a professional environment. But the Habs have received plenty of criticism. It's died down a bit mostly because it's a rebuild and HuGo are in the honeymoon phase. But are we seriously going to pretend that the media were quiet during Bergevin's tenure? Come on.

Last edited:

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
They certainly do but to pretend that the media in this city is just a bunch of sycophants to the Habs is silly. Too many people expect them to act like HF posters. It's not going to happen. They're in a professional environment. But the Habs have received plenty of criticism. It's died down a bit mostly because it's a rebuild and HuGo are in the honeymoon face. But are we seriously going to pretend that the media were quiet during Bergevin's tenure? Come on.

It's gotten worse over time. Currently, The idiot twins on 690, D'Amico, Cowan, Basu, Mapper, Jack Todd, all those guys are going to bat and acting as a glorified PR team for the new regime.

There's professional, and then there's fighting on Twitter with people who talk negatively about the team, or specifically regurgitating Canadiens PR points in their articles.

I think it might be a combination of Chantal running the PR department with an iron fist (if you don't tow the company line, you lose access to the cool kids table) and the apathy that's come with the Canadiens sucking for a prolonged period of time. I think the leeches that feed off the Canadiens have seen a dip in interest and revenue, which has caused them to go into full panic optimist positive mode at all times.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Bell fibe TV, my guy. You need a chromecast, or something to stream to your TV. Someone said they have an app for smart tvs, but I've been too lazy to search.

25ish bucks + tax gets you all TSN channels and Sportsnet channels. You dont get Sportsnet one, so you have to pay 4 bucks just for that channel and that brings it up to 25

it happen, but its usually the free streams, or 3rd party ones. Using sportsnet through their own streaming service and now through Bell i havent had any issues like that.

If you're out in the sticks, then yeah your speeds might not be good enough, so tv would be a better choice.

Sherbrooke and Quebec City would be in the Habs area.

So, in order to watch all Habs games in English you would need both TSN and Sportsnet.

If the game is on both TSN and Sportsnet it will be blacked out on Sportsnet if you're in the region.

I might be mistaken, but I believe Habs region is eastern Ontario, Quebec and the maritimes

Sens is Eastern and Northern Ontario, and Western Quebec.

Toronto is Southern Ontario.

Winnipeg is Western Ontario (might also be Northern Ontario, too)

Again, I'm pretty much guessing here on most, except for the Habs being Eastern Ontario.

I live in Toronto is there a package for me to watch all Habs games?

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
It's gotten worse over time. Currently, The idiot twins on 690, D'Amico, Cowan, Basu, Mapper, Jack Todd, all those guys are going to bat and acting as a glorified PR team for the new regime.

There's professional, and then there's fighting on Twitter with people who talk negatively about the team, or specifically regurgitating Canadiens PR points in their articles.

I think it might be a combination of Chantal running the PR department with an iron fist and the apathy that's come with the Canadiens sucking for a prolonged period of time. I think the leeches that feed off the Canadiens have seen a dip in interest and revenue, which has caused them to go into full panic optimist positive mode at all times.
Or maybe it's just negative people like you shitting on the team any chance you get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad