News Article: Habs Reportedly Looking Into Launching Their Own Streaming Service

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

If this is true, we can probably start to see the beginning of the end of TSN690. Because in my opinion, the main reason they're still hanging on is because of their rights to broadcast Habs games.

God I f***ing hope so.

I'm assuming radio broadcast would be free.

As long as they're not absolute c***s and when they stream video it's low quality and high price.

Reactions: Sagikev

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
God I f***ing hope so.

I'm assuming radio broadcast would be free.

As long as they're not absolute c***s and when they stream video it's low quality and high price.
Which planet do you live in?

I’m shocked Habs never followed the Yankees in setting up their own TV channel like YES Network - use secondary content like MLS and Als for additional summer programming.

I suppose Bell being a consortium investor likely had something to do with it

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think Vegas is doing that also. Not sure if it's this year or down the road. Where they launch their own streaming service and will have all of their games available to stream.

But them, it includes the video to watch the games.

Reactions: Sagikev

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hockey is the only thing I don't need streaming for. No thanks. But you could make it available for people abroad and in the US that cannot watch the Habs on regular TV.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Does anyone know of the best way to stream Habs games legally for Ontario residents?

Is RDS the way to go? Id honestly be happy with 50+ games. I've heard they had 60 but that seems like a lot to me

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Who listen to hockey on radio in 2023? Beside truck/taxi drivers?

-

The Montreal Canadiens and the Seattle Kraken are tied at 2 with 3:32 left in the 1st period, this faceoff is presented by Lays, the official potato chip of the NHLPA.

1930s-family.jpg

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
as long as its a new play by play guy and not this annoying tsn2 el-tardo and his 8000 useless factoids a game.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

-

The Montreal Canadiens and the Seattle Kraken are tied at 2 with 3:32 left in the 1st period, this faceoff is presented by Lays, the official potato chip of the NHLPA.

1930s-family.jpg

Before meeting MXD, Ms. MXD would sometimes do this at home, while doing other stuff.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

-

1930s-family.jpg
There's a lot of trucker/taxi drivers.

Truckers are infinitely more important the players, politicians, or Molsons... well, for most people the Molsons aren't that important to 🤣

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Will likely be a pay-per-view system, which is fine. $26.99 for a game, with 8 friends over becomes $26.99 divided by 9 ,or, roughly 3ish dollars a head.

Bars/businesses would pay more per game.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
If / when it does happen there will be massive ripple effects in the media landscape. TVA Sports is probably dead in 2 years no matter what but it's unlikely RDS will be able to survive in it's current form if Habs stream games instead of selling the rights to TV stations.

Currently sports events is one of the only thing that people are ready to pay a premium for to watch live rather then listen to it the day after. Already the royalties paid by telcos for sports channels are crazy high and it only works because people have no alternative. Those revenues are what enables RDS to also broadcast Tennis, F1 racing,, etc.

I won't say it's a bad thing because it's a natural evolution but it will affect more then just hockey viewers.

Reactions: Fenris and Sagikev

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Lol,

So you’re telling me they don’t make
Enough money through gambling, beer sales, overpriced foods, jersey sales, ticket sales, laundering, and other various revenues to be able to give us a YouTube channel that may cost us a few bucks a month?

Just another gimmick aimed at getting even more revenue through loop holes.

Boycott this.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Will likely be a pay-per-view system, which is fine. $26.99 for a game, with 8 friends over becomes $26.99 divided by 9 ,or, roughly 3ish dollars a head.

Bars/businesses would pay more per game.

I think the real issue is not the availability of this streaming service but that they will probably kill TV/cable broadcasts in order to funnel those Telco revenues to them e.g. hockey won't be available on any station carried by cable/dish/antenna, you need to subscribe to a streaming service or no Habs for you.

edit: the MLS (soccer) rights going to Apple recently is a good blueprint for this, the games are also available on TV (for now) but they chose only 1 TV partner and the focus is streaming

MLS deputy commissioner Gary Stevenson noted the media deals, beginning with Apple, were built with a streaming-first mentality. The league has found 83% of its fans watch sports on streaming devices or recorded TV during an average week, up from 52% for all TV viewers.
Apple will be the exclusive English and French-language carrier of the Leagues Cup quarterfinals, semifinals and finals. It will also be the sole worldwide carrier for the All-Star game.

The linear broadcasters
[TV stations] will use a feed from MLS as the league takes over production for the first time. It is similar to the way European soccer leagues do business.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
What are the legit options currently (streaming)? NHL Centre Ice only? And I live in Sherbrooke, is there any blackouts? I'm not sure I understand what it means

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

-

1930s-family.jpg
I still do occasionally, grew up listening to Dick Irvin doing play-by-play on radio (falling asleep on West Coast games) as not all games were televised and ditto Expos games…. there’s a lot to be said about picturing the game play out in your mind (“going left to right on your radio dial”) as you listen to play by play (active mode) vs passive brain mode of visual medium

When I first came to the US, I couldn’t even get a single Habs game on TV here, and had to listen to Koivu’s return from cancer game via audio stream - was more impressive than had I watched it on TV from what I recall

Even now Habs road games vs NYR, Bruins are blacked out despite having ESPN NHL streaming package

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad