News Article: Habs Reportedly Looking Into Launching Their Own Streaming Service

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think the real issue is not the availability of this streaming service but that they will probably kill TV/cable broadcasts in order to funnel those Telco revenues to them e.g. hockey won't be available on any station carried by cable/dish/antenna, you need to subscribe to a streaming service or no Habs for you.

edit: the MLS (soccer) rights going to Apple recently is a good blueprint for this, the games are also available on TV (for now) but they chose only 1 TV partner and the focus is streaming

MLS deputy commissioner Gary Stevenson noted the media deals, beginning with Apple, were built with a streaming-first mentality. The league has found 83% of its fans watch sports on streaming devices or recorded TV during an average week, up from 52% for all TV viewers.
Apple will be the exclusive English and French-language carrier of the Leagues Cup quarterfinals, semifinals and finals. It will also be the sole worldwide carrier for the All-Star game.

The linear broadcasters
[TV stations] will use a feed from MLS as the league takes over production for the first time. It is similar to the way European soccer leagues do business.
They can shove the streaming service. Habs are dead to me if they can only be streamed.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What are the legit options currently (streaming)? NHL Centre Ice only? And I live in Sherbrooke, is there any blackouts? I'm not sure I understand what it means
Bell Fibe TV App.

I'm pretty sure you'd get all the Habs games in that location for 20-25 bucks a month

I think centre ice is like 60, or some shit, but you're supposed to get all the games ?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don't really trust them to select the best commentators and announcers and analysts tbh, they will all be ass kissers if owned by Habs.
That would put a dagger in TSN 690 as well.

Reactions: jrom

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Lol,

So you’re telling me they don’t make
Enough money through gambling, beer sales, overpriced foods, jersey sales, ticket sales, laundering, and other various revenues to be able to give us a YouTube channel that may cost us a few bucks a month?
Just another gimmick aimed at getting even more revenue through loop holes.

Boycott this.
It’s not loopholes… it’s called business. Maximization of profits is what business is all about

• Haha
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't really trust them to select the best commentators and announcers and analysts tbh, they will all be ass kissers if owned by Habs.
Habs have always had the right to veto any radio play by play & color commentary announcer & have NEVER done so.

Criticize Habs all you will, but they’ve NEVER demanded ass kissers for play by play in either language, unlike almost every other NHL team

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Habs have always had the right to veto any radio play by play & color commentary announcer & have NEVER done so.

Criticize Habs all you will, but they’ve NEVER demanded ass kissers for play by play in either language, unlike almost every other NHL team
There'll always be a difference between working for a company that can veto and actually working for THE company. trust - you'll see a difference

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
streaming option with no blackouts? sign me uppp.

what these companies don't understand is that i'm willing to pay a certain amount of money to watch my team. i don't want to watch sketchy russian pirate streams as my first choice, but i have no choice given the current options.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

Hate to break it to you, but we're already there. The Habs already control the sycophantic media in this city though access and the fact that this is a one-team High-School football town. All these media losers make all their money off of this one team. If interest in the team wanes, they themselves lose money, so they need to be towing the company line at all costs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hate to break it to you, but we're already there. The Habs already control the sycophantic media in this city though access and the fact that this is a one-team High-School football town. All these media losers make all their money off of this one team. If interest in the team wanes, they themselves lose money, so they need to be towing the company line at all costs.
Not really many rip the org 100 different ways … unlike most other NHL markets. Starting with the likes of Marinaro who still has no issue getting Molson for an interview.

If anything Habs motto is:

“Talk good about me, or talk bad about me…just talk about me. …. There’s no such thing as bad publicity”
- PT Barnum

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
iu

64e7655c5ef5c4567081c060_image-20230818-070016.png

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Im also a bell subscriber. I got suckered into one of those mega bundles with tons of credits that have since expired where they told me “and cable will just cost you 20 bucks!” That was a few years ago. I actually live in fear of actually opening my bell bill and finding out what I’m now paying.

MagicalDeck

Mar 17, 2006
Who listen to hockey on radio in 2023? Beside truck/taxi drivers?

-

The Montreal Canadiens and the Seattle Kraken are tied at 2 with 3:32 left in the 1st period, this faceoff is presented by Lays, the official potato chip of the NHLPA.

1930s-family.jpg
I do. And I am not a driver. Just don't have money to spare...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
There all going for it ...example Red Sox /Bruins you can stream their games
for around $450 a yr

As we all know things never go down, Montreal or Toronto games....hopefully
i can live long enough to be offered all games streamed live for only $3000 a year.
Someone will eventually see it ..lol

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Not really many rip the org 100 different ways … unlike most other NHL markets. Starting with the likes of Marinaro who still has no issue getting Molson for an interview.

If anything Habs motto is:

“Talk good about me, or talk bad about me…just talk about me. …. There’s no such thing as bad publicity”
- PT Barnum

Marinaro started playing way more nice lately and has since joined the cool kids club.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Give me a streaming service that is reasonable (ie in the 10 per month range) and I will stream the Habs all day everyday. Would be awesome if we got some pre game content and opinion content from some of the more reputable Habs Youtube personalities etc. I have no need for centre ice, and living in SW Ontario I am left angry most weeks not getting any Habs games.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
TBH, more likely then not this doesn't happen and instead they try and partner with a 3p partner in the media space.

Source, work in the industry

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
What are the legit options currently (streaming)? NHL Centre Ice only? And I live in Sherbrooke, is there any blackouts? I'm not sure I understand what it means
Sportsnet for the national games and TSN for the regional ones. Any regional game will be blacked out on the Sportsnet app if you live in the Habs region.

I think Vegas is doing that also. Not sure if it's this year or down the road. Where they launch their own streaming service and will have all of their games available to stream.

But them, it includes the video to watch the games.
They are doing it this year. If you are in the Knights region the Knights+ app gets 6 pre season games, 69 regular season games, and any Knights playoff games for 69.99US$. You can also pay 6.99US$ for each game if you don't want them all.

How to Watch the Vegas Golden Knights | Vegas Golden Knights

Reactions: Adam Michaels

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
There all going for it ...example Red Sox /Bruins you can stream their games
for around $450 a yr

As we all know things never go down, Montreal or Toronto games....hopefully
i can live long enough to be offered all games streamed live for only $3000 a year.
Someone will eventually see it ..lol
hahahahahahahahahahahaha 450$ a year yeah ok :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Before meeting MXD, Ms. MXD would sometimes do this at home, while doing other stuff.
So what changed?

After meeting MXD, Ms. MXD has him do the stuff and she sits on her comfy couch and listens to the radio.

Joking aside, I know quite a few people who do what your wife did before she met you.

What if it's on vinyl?
Man, I'm envious of that great one-liner. It's original and funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad