News Article: Habs offer Subban 7 years, $49 million.

• Thread starter dreamingofdrouin*
  • Start date

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
You think he should be the highest paid dman in the league?

When he's on his game, he's the best allround defenceman in the NHL. He clearly showed that all of last season and the beginning of this season.

People like you, who seem to hate on Subban for some unknown reason have forgotten that.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Could say the same for Subban. If Subban doesn't impress you (with his shortcomings) then you're simply lying. Can say the same for Karlsson and Doughty too. The funny thing is Doughty's name has only been brought up after a strong Olympics. Haven't heard much about him over the last few years as he has had some down years. But the Olympics have really boosted him in the minds of many people who don't watch him often. He makes mistakes just like any other dman.

How can a player who I think should get 7.5M for 8 years not impress me?

The games I've been to at the Bell centre this year, Subban was both the worst and best player on the ice. He can be a liability and he can go stretches of game where he's a liability. That's below the level he should be performing at and below the level of the very elite.

I didn't watch more than a few periods of the olympics. That people love Doughty this much after the game amuses me. To anyone who followed the league the last few years it was clear as day who was Canada's best D. If you need to follow who gets press coverage or who gets talked the most about to form an opinion of a player then so be it, but don't lump us all in that category.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
We have to keep in mind that if the offer (7 millions x 7 years) is true, then they expect to go higher than that, I mean that's what negotiation is about.

I could see something like 7,5-7,75 millions for 8-9 years with a NTC in the end, which is fair.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
We have to keep in mind that if the offer (7 millions x 7 years) is true, then they expect to go higher than that, I mean that's what negotiation is about.

I could see something like 7,5-7,75 millions for 8-9 years with a NTC in the end, which is fair.

8 years is the maximum length of a contract.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
LMAO, Mike ****ing Babcock says otherwise :laugh:

There's no hate toward PK, just ridiculous blind love.

The Olympics have nothing to do with the NHL. When you're ready to talk about the NHL then get back to me. Babcock didn't pick the team based on who's "better". He picked it based on "chemistry" and "fit".

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Sure that's true . Incorporation can be awesome but eventually you have to pay yourself as an individual and then you pay personal taxes .

However, honestly, If it were this simple for an athlete to incorporate thEn athletes would be flocking to play in Canada because we have one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world . Canada tops out at 16 percent the US is 35 percent.

I think incorporation is more suited to players who play individual sports.

But like I said not an accountant.

Corporate rates top out mid 20s in canada depending on province.... I am an accountant.

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
No excuses he stated PK can play at Drew's level, I disagree Drew has proven with his spot cemented on the Olympic team presently and contributing to a Stanley Cup win secondly and lastly why do you use the team was exhausted as to someone disagrees that PK at this time is a super future defensive player but head to head I have to give Drew the edge now but will agree PK will eventually be at his level.

Yeah, ignore the last regular season and the the first 40 or so games of this season before Subban went on his slump.

Also ignore the coaches, the systems and the supporting casts of both players.

Until the Olympics, even with Subban incredible slump, except for haters, you'd find very few people who'd pick Doughty over Subban (except Kings fans).

It's amazing how a 3 dominant game vs Norway, Latvia and Austria change perceptions.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Sure that's true . Incorporation can be awesome but eventually you have to pay yourself as an individual and then you pay personal taxes .

However, honestly, If it were this simple for an athlete to incorporate thEn athletes would be flocking to play in Canada because we have one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world . Canada tops out at 16 percent the US is 35 percent.

I think incorporation is more suited to players who play individual sports.

But like I said not an accountant.

Being paid as a corporation is impossible. Standard player contracts are required to be signed with individuals, therefore they are paid to individuals. The league would never allow contracts with corporations because a player could cancel his corporation to get out of a contract.

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
LMAO, Mike ****ing Babcock says otherwise :laugh:

There's no hate toward PK, just ridiculous blind love.

Right, Dan Hamhuis is better than Subban because Babcock picked him over Subban.

Same goes for Bouwmeester and Vlassic. They're head and shoulders better than Subban.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Being paid as a corporation is impossible. Standard player contracts are required to be signed with individuals, therefore they are paid to individuals. The league would never allow contracts with corporations because a player could cancel his corporation to get out of a contract.
Now introducing the artist formerly known as.... John Tavares!
He isn't .
Still smokin' the funny stuff...

Cap going up, this guy's got fantastic numbers... even if you don't think he's the best in the game, he's still worth that money. Come on man.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Now introducing the artist formerly known as.... John Tavares!

Still smokin' the funny stuff...

Cap going up, this guy's got fantastic numbers... even if you don't think he's the best in the game, he's still worth that money. Come on man.

He's a young dman with one great year under his belt, but suffers from lots of brinfarts and defensive lapses. He may be a top young offensive dman but does one year and a Norris mean he should be the highest paid blueliner in the NHL?

Look at what happened to Campbell and mike green ...

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
He's a young dman with one great year under his belt, but suffers from lots of brinfarts and defensive lapses. He may be a top young offensive dman but does one year and a Norris mean he should be the highest paid blueliner in the NHL?

Are you seriously comparing Subban to Brian Campbell and Mike Green?

Have you even watched his career as a Hab (under Martin, Cunneyworth, now under Martin bofore the last 20 or so games?)

Based on your comparision, I think we all know the answer to that question

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Are you seriously comparing Subban to Brian Campbell and Mike Green?

Have you even watched his career as a Hab (under Martin, Cunneyworth, now under Martin bofore the last 20 or so games?)

Based on your comparision, I think we all know the answer to that question

I've watched enough players the last 30 years to be a little cautious when throwing money around.

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
I've watched enough players the last 30 years to be a little cautious when throwing money around.

And after 30 years hockey watching, you've concluded Subban's over-all game is comparable to Brian Campbell and Mike Green?

Are you sure you weren't watching something else, thinking it was hockey?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

you and I are on the same page.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

He has more than one great year under his belt. He's young, we've already underpaid him drastically for two years, the cap is going up and he's the reigning Norris winner.

You can't just sit there and tell a player he has to keep proving himself and expect him to stay with you.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
And after 30 years hockey watching, you've concluded Subban's over-all game is comparable to Brian Campbell and Mike Green?

Are you sure you weren't watching something else, thinking it was hockey?

Get back to me when you can read.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Get back to me when you can read.

He will be better than Campbell and green. Those guys were always more one dimensional, but I am also concerned with subbans lapses. As much as he can make me want to pull my hair out at times, I'm willing to accept it for the package he brings, while hoping that he cuts down on the lapses.

The market commands him to get more than 7 million at least considering that is what phaneuf just got. I'm thinking he will get in the shea weber vicinity in terms of cap hit

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He will be better than Campbell and green. Those guys were always more one dimensional, but I am also concerned with subbans lapses. As much as he can make me want to pull my hair out at times, I'm willing to accept it for the package he brings, while hoping that he cuts down on the lapses.
He hasn't played well (at least for him) the past few months. Personally I think the coach is greatly responsible for this. Regardless, even with the way he's played he's still an outstanding defenseman at his worst.

Building around him and Price... pretty good duo to have as cornerstones for your team.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

I never said he wouldn't be better than both of them....

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
#76 Subbie will get $7.6mil/year for 7-8 years!!!!
(#87 Crosby did it...8.7mil/year...Subbie can do it too!!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad