News Article: Habs offer Subban 7 years, $49 million.

• Thread starter dreamingofdrouin*
  • Start date

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I never said he wouldn't be better than both of them....

You're hinting that he may have peaked and to proceed with caution (thats what green and Campbell have in common post contract). I'll take that chance. It would be a bigger risk to let him walk for draft picks.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
This is a slight lowball in my opinion.

Yes, it's well within the salary of contemporaries (i.e. Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo) but with the cap going up I'd expect Subban to look for 8x8. Ultimately I think they settle somewhere in the middle.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This is a slight lowball in my opinion.

Yes, it's well within the salary of contemporaries (i.e. Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo) but with the cap going up I'd expect Subban to look for 8x8. Ultimately I think they settle somewhere in the middle.

IF it's true and that's MB's first offer than that's not a lowball offer at all. Not for a first offer. That would actually be a very very fair first offer. It would show that they're not going to dick him around...unless they're very firm on 7x7 which would be silly.

If PK signed that it would be amazing only better if he signed it 7 per at 8 years. If we get him under 8 mill that would be really nice. I'm fine with anything under 9 really.

If 7x7 is really their first offer than I don't see negotiations taking too long.

A small but fervent part of me still wants PK to shock and sign for like 6 million per. If he hasn't been dicked around so much he probably would have. And I'm not even talking about the bridge deal. After PK agreed to that bridge deal the team should've treated him like gold.

Still, he could do it just to show that he's the classiest athlete ever (hell he's up there even now imo). Mind you the fact that he hasn't demanded a trade shows he's a rare breed of class.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't see enough of Doughty to really compare but I don't think he has PK's clutchness.

That tying goal in game 7 against Boston even though we lost was still one of my fondest memories in the last 10 years or so of Hab hockey. The man just comes up big when you need it.

THAT is what's really important when evaluating PK and what puts him above most (if not all) other D men in the league.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
There is no such thing as "clutchness". No player becomes better in high pressure situations.

Anyway, 7M is fair for Subban.

You are very wrong about that. It is pretty clear that some players have the ability to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses during high pressure situations (raising their compete-level), making them play better in such situations.

Players with solid physical abilities accompanied by strong mental-strength will always be clutch. Subban is easily one of those. Subban was a good player back then (2011), but he wasn't 'great'. However, he was beyond great in that game. He simply thrived off the atmosphere. He is clutch.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I'm facepalming at laughing at those who consider this a low-ball offer. Come on! This is a negotiation! This is actually a really good deal, considering that negotiation is still at its early stages.

I am fairly certain that Subban is encouraged by the offer. He will probably get 8.5 million a year, it's 'only' 1.5 million more a year than the first (presumably) offer.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm facepalming at laughing at those who consider this a low-ball offer. Come on! This is a negotiation! This is actually a really good deal, considering that negotiation is still at its early stages.

I am fairly certain that Subban is encouraged by the offer. He will probably get 8.5 million a year, it's 'only' 1.5 million more a year than the first (presumably) offer.

That's what they said last time -- that 2.5 million a year was a "first offer".

Halifaxhab*

That's what they said last time -- that 2.5 million a year was a "first offer".

for a second there I thought you were arguing with yourself when I looked at the avatars.....then I realized....one of you is BIZZARO SUPERMAN!!!!!

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
There is no such thing as "clutchness". No player becomes better in high pressure situations.

Tell that to Daniel Brière and Mike Cammalleri to name just those two :P

As far as the offer is concerned I feel it's under what Subban can expect. Some people say he's not yet at "Doughty level" so he shouldn't get that type of deal. Let's not forget when Doughty signed that deal and at what level he was in his career. All signs point to Subban doing the same or better and we're looking at an increase in cap.

IMO it will be 8 years X 8M = 64M.

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal

Disagree.

What makes a player above and superior over other players, is when the game is on the line and they make something happen.

This is more apparent in basketball where players like Kevin Durant are the "closers" for their team because of their ability to make a big play. Subban has made big plays in games in the past and is a difference maker.

IMO he is one of our clutch players.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Disagree.

What makes a player above and superior over other players, is when the game is on the line and they make something happen.

This is more apparent in basketball where players like Kevin Durant are the "closers" for their team because of their ability to make a big play. Subban has made big plays in games in the past and is a difference maker.

IMO he is one of our clutch players.

Yea he is clutch at riding the pine in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad