News Article: Habs offer Subban 7 years, $49 million.

• Thread starter dreamingofdrouin*
  • Start date

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
He can justify anything up to and including 8 mill IMO. He won a norris, is young and can develop into an even more complete player. If we trade him because of cap issues I will be livid.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That's the perfect contract for PK. Doughty money even though he's not where Doughty is but compensates for inflation.
Do it PK!

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/01...rity-suggests-we-may-not-know-until-11th-hour

its under the title "THIS N’ THAT"

says subban is looking for 8-8.5 but doughty gets 7 and is undoubtedly a better d-man. gonna be interesting. petrangelo gets 6.5 and was ahead of him on team canada roster so those are things MB can use....but in the end if he hits 8 he hits 8....as long as we keep him.

...if Subbie takes it, golden... if not, try 8 years, 60 mill next...;)

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He'll get more if this is what they've offered. Probably 7.6 million over 6 years if I had to guess, maybe 7 years.

The RFA years left are the only leverage Bergevin has so at best he'll be able to bring down the cap hit from 8 to 7.6 in my eyes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The 8 year contract for home grown players clause was made for guys like subban. Use it.

And I don't think many will buy that 7 mil/year is fair value for subban anymore.

Would still do backflips if he signed it, though.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Should do 8 years at 7.5 for 60 million.

I think Subban camp will counter with 8 million then throw that 8 year 60 Mil deal on the table and it should be acceptable for both sides.

dreamingofdrouin*

you know...im gonna love pk no matter what. it sure would be nice to see him shave a bit off the top to help his cause of winning a stanley cup....but...fair his fair...i guess he's earned whatever ever number he gets and hes worth it.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
It will probably end up at 8 for 8. Or at 8 for 7.5.

PK wants the 8 year deal. He will take the lesser cap hit for the longer term.

8 at 7.5 is fair.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The 8 year contract for home grown players clause was made for guys like subban. Use it.

And I don't think many will buy that 7 mil/year is fair value for subban anymore.

Would still do backflips if he signed it, though.

It's Bruce Garrioch and the sentence began "The talk is Montreal has tabled..." .
Nobody talks to Garrioch.

I am more intrigued by the Markov to Edmonton storyline.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Not a bad news. Doesn't look like he's getting the low ball offer.

Why 7 years anyway? That's so strange, just make it 8 or 5 if it's not enough money for him

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Not a bad news. Doesn't look like he's getting the low ball offer.

Why 7 years anyway? That's so strange, just make it 8 or 5 if it's not enough money for him

Well considering Montreal has never given anyone a contract longer than 6 years ever, the 7 years is a pretty big step.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Anybody feel that Subban might not want to stay in a regressive organization which doesn't seem to want to win the cup all that much? I mean if the guy wants to win cups in his career, he'd be better off in more ambitious, better-run organizations, no?

I'm being completely honest here, we can't just assume that Subban is ours forever and ever - not with how Therrien is coaching the team, not with how Bergevin is running the team. He might very well not want to stick around past UFA.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Anybody feel that Subban might not want to stay in a regressive organization which doesn't seem to want to win the cup all that much? I mean if the guy wants to win cups in his career, he'd be better off in more ambitious, better-run organizations, no?

I'm being completely honest here, we can't just assume that Subban is ours forever and ever - not with how Therrien is coaching the team, not with how Bergevin is running the team. He might very well not want to stick around past UFA.

Signing as a UFA to a team with Therrien coaching and high taxes is a situation where I can see players shying away. But Subban grew up a Habs fan, was drafted and developed by the team, won a Norris trophy and Gold Medal as a Montreal Canadiens. This means a lot to some guys and I honestly believe he doesn't want to play anywhere else, plus he has to know Therrien isn't going to be around much longer, he's bascially lost the room and Subban would know this more than anyone.

Not worried at all about Subban leaving, unless Bergevin goes full Pejorative Slur and trades him at which point I will not be watching the team until he's gone so I won't hav eto worry about it.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Doughty, Karlsson and Pietrangelo weren't jerked around with bridge deals. Also, they were signed under the last CBA.

Offering 7M for 7 years is a lowball offer considering the bridge deal. I can't imagine PK accepting. I wouldn't if I were him.

EDIT: The fact is that PK was lowballed and forced into a crappy bridge deal with the promise that he had to show more and he'd get his due. When you do that, you lose any and all hope of good faith from the other party and the next deal you are forced to pay top dollars with no discount at all. Unless Subban is a much much better man than me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad