News Article: Habs offer Subban 7 years, $49 million.

• Thread starter dreamingofdrouin*
  • Start date

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Doughty, Karlsson and Pietrangelo weren't jerked around with bridge deals. Also, they were signed under the last CBA.

Offering 7M for 7 years is a lowball offer considering the bridge deal. I can't imagine PK accepting. I wouldn't if I were him.

EDIT: The fact is that PK was lowballed and forced into a crappy bridge deal with the promise that he had to show more and he'd get his due. When you do that, you lose any and all hope of good faith from the other party and the next deal you are forced to pay top dollars with no discount at all. Unless Subban is a much much better man than me.

Wouldn't go as far as to say this is a lowball offer, it's still pretty much 50 million. But I can see him squeeze more out of this deal. What I don't get is the random 7 years. Why not 8? But that's not the end of the world. I am happy to hear Bergevin wants to lock him up long term though.

PricePkPatch*

7M is a bit under what I expect, but Subban hasn't exactly been constant in his performance this year. He had 2 great games this year (2014), a few okay ones, and plenty of bad ones.

Analyzer*

Your best player should be the highest paid player and PK isn't our best player.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I don't care about money, it's not mine. But I want 8 years. If it can't be done, 7 is the lowest. Although Carey signed for 6, right? And Carey is our best player.

I'd say 8 years and the money is secondary to me. Cap is going up and this team is so rich, it would buy ALL of us with the profits its making.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Yeah, I'd say Subban is our best player.
I'd say Price is but since his contract was signed when cap was lower then he will have a lower yearly salary than a top player signing today. The price of contracts change as the cap changes. one reason why if you believe a player will be solid for ten years you try to sign him long term to get the savings as the cap increases. For upcoming RFA and UFA on the Habs team PK is the best and he has a Norris and Olympic under his belt so I would say he is worth 7.5-8 and would be great to get him signed for 8 years 60 Million.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Price has been our best player by far this year. Last year was Subban. The year before, no one was any good.

Overall, I've got it as

Subban
Price

Maxpac/Pleks

who cares.

And to say that nobody was good the year before last is intellectually dishonest

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
PK already signed a discounted bridge contract last time around.

No way he signs for less than 7.5.

PricePkPatch*

It's hilarious how no one is willing to admit that Bergevin's signing of Price was absolutely FANTASTIC in hindsight.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
8 years at 7.6 Million, 60.8 Million!

If he complains, tell him it's the equivalent of a Crosby contract and it's his fault for choosing such a low number for his jersey ;)

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Price has been our best player THIS SEASON. Not even close. And the Olympics were the icing on the cake.

PK was superior last year.

But this season, I'm surprised there would be an argument there.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Yes, we should let Subban walk over a million because Price makes 6.5. Even though it's a differnet position and signed after the team finished dead last in the East.

Sound plan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad