News Article: Habs offer Subban 7 years, $49 million.

• Thread starter dreamingofdrouin*
  • Start date

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
If Doughty and Piets we're due for a contract extention now they would be signing for 8mill per and thats what PK will ask and will get

People also forget that Subban has 2 more years as a restricted free agent, which should weigh on the average annual value of a deal. But I doubt it will.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
If this were true, he'd probably take it. 7 million a year sounds pretty good for him, and he must know where he ranks in the pay scale after the Olympics. I doubt that the source is any good.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
what's the point of negotiating. he's our best Dman. This team is filthy rich and cap keeps going up. Not much difference than max contract term vs what's offered.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If this were true, he'd probably take it. 7 million a year sounds pretty good for him, and he must know where he ranks in the pay scale after the Olympics. I doubt that the source is any good.

Clearly you can draw all kinds of conclusions from that.........

CLEARLY.

Should Hamhuis be paid more than Subban ? Vlasic ? Bouwmeester ?

Should the fact some coaches decided to pick some guys to play on big ice have any relevance on who is the best on small ice in the NHL ?

Use a little logic. Please. There are so many reason why this is a completely illogical way to look at it.. I could continue but I think you must be trolling.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
You think he should be the highest paid dman in the league?

He just won the norris. He's young, marketable and loved by the fans. He's a money making machine on top of being our best talent since lafleur. So yeah, he has a serious argument for it.

And that's ignoring the obvious effect of cap inflation and quebec taxes. You think doughty gets the same cap hit today and in montreal?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Subban when playing the way he can play is at Doughty's level and more...

When do you expect him to overcome his inconsistency? He's both won and lost games for the Habs. Would I take Doughty over PK? Sure I would.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He just won the norris. He's young, marketable and loved by the fans. He's a money making machine on top of being our best talent since lafleur. So yeah, he has a serious argument for it.

And that's ignoring the obvious effect of cap inflation and quebec taxes. You think doughty gets the same cap hit today and in montreal?

Doughty is a superior defenseman to Subban, though. I think a fair comparison to Subban right now, considering what they both bring and do not bring to the table is Pietrangelo. If AP is worth 6.5, Subban is worth 7. Doughty would be worth 9 - 9.5

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Were you not here during the Olympics when he was better than every Team Canada defenseman according to our board? The team that gave up 3 goals all tournament?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
what's the point of negotiating. he's our best Dman. This team is filthy rich and cap keeps going up. Not much difference than max contract term vs what's offered.

Gotta save 600k so we can sign Davis Drewwwwsky

edit: PK > Drew Drunkghty

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Anybody feel that Subban might not want to stay in a regressive organization which doesn't seem to want to win the cup all that much? I mean if the guy wants to win cups in his career, he'd be better off in more ambitious, better-run organizations, no?

I'm being completely honest here, we can't just assume that Subban is ours forever and ever - not with how Therrien is coaching the team, not with how Bergevin is running the team. He might very well not want to stick around past UFA.

Nope, not at all.

I think people are crazy if they think Subban won't be signing a 7 or 8 year deal, which will keep him here beyond Therrien's time here, unless he wins a Cup.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

The "best" players do not always make the most money. There are various factors at play.

What you fail to consider is context :

-Natural NHL inflation with ever increasing salary caps
-Other players signed out of their ELC, did not have to sign crappy bridge deals after holdouts and thus presumably agreed to take a bit less because both parties showed good faith. This is not what happened in Subban's case at all.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Where you not here during the Olympics when he was better than every Team Canada defenseman according to our board? The team that gave up 3 goals all tournament?

I think even those posters noticed in the last 3 games why Canada didn't trust him. PK is a great player, 7 million a year and Doughty money is more then fair

feds91

May 17, 2004
that seems fair. karlsson gets 6.5 mil, keith 5.538, chara 6.916, pietrangelo 6.5, doughty 7. webber and sutter get more, but they were ufa.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The "best" players do not always make the most money. There are various factors at play.

What you fail to consider is context :

-Natural NHL inflation with ever increasing salary caps
-Other players signed out of their ELC, did not have to sign crappy bridge deals after holdouts and thus presumably agreed to take a bit less because both parties showed good faith. This is not what happened in Subban's case at all.

So we continue to overpay not only for UFA's, but for our own home grown talent? Price agreed to a Bridge, and signed a fair contract.
Pacioretty signed a more than fair contract.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Doughty, Karlsson and Pietrangelo weren't jerked around with bridge deals. Also, they were signed under the last CBA.

Offering 7M for 7 years is a lowball offer considering the bridge deal. I can't imagine PK accepting. I wouldn't if I were him.

EDIT: The fact is that PK was lowballed and forced into a crappy bridge deal with the promise that he had to show more and he'd get his due. When you do that, you lose any and all hope of good faith from the other party and the next deal you are forced to pay top dollars with no discount at all. Unless Subban is a much much better man than me.

Here is hoping! A better man than me too! :amazed:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The term should have been 8 years and I don't care that 7 is the longest ever. I would be happy with 8 years at $60M or I guess now 7 for $52.5M, but have no problem with $56M for 7 years. The 8 for $8M per that some threw out here seemed to be the right number.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Ah yes a popular opinion following Doughty's dominance of ultra conservative Latvia, Norway and Finland (depleted by injuries) in qualification rounds.

A popular opinion formed by watching the decision making of both. Doughty is one of the smartest players in the league. He is not as dynamic offensively as PK, but he is not nearly as RISKY either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad