Proposal: Habs offer sheet Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wings have tons of cap space and that's not a problem. Habs have about $10M in cap space if we trade Domi for futures (Sabres for the 8th pick is one example).

Does Yzerman try to low ball his top talent like he did in Tampa? Taxes not the same in Detroit. If Mantha is not happy with the offer from Yzerman, all his agent has to do is call Bergevin.

Offer 1
- 5 years at $8.75M
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Offer 2:
- 2 years at $8.75M. I believe he has 2 RFA years left and he gets to UFA quicker. If the Wings match, Habs can circle back when Mantha becomes UFA in 2 years.

Yzerman's perspective... Trying to rebuild and likely wants Mantha for 7 or 8 years overlapping his rebuild and contention start point. But if Mantha is signed for 2 or 5 years does he consider the futures?

Talk about overpaying....

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Cause it's a matter of circumstance. Canes and Wings both have cap space to match but one team is at a different point. Wings are in rebuild mode and Mantha will be 30 when they surface as a potential contender or team on the rise. So I think the Wings value the compensation vs the Canes. Understand? Of course I'd like Svechnikov more. Same with Barzal. But you can go as high as you can... they will match cause they need them now. Even if the Habs went higher with Aho last year (Like I am proposing with Mantha)... Canes probably still match!

I'm not worried about Mantha being overpaid by about $2M in his prime years. He could go all 5 years overpaid or he's not overpaid cause he's putting up 70-80 pts and 30-40 goals. $8.75M looks like a lot today but in 3-5 years? :sarcasm:

We waited over a decade to get the Centers and young LD depth. How long you going to wait for a winger with size who can put the puck in the net? Another decade? You really going to be conservative on $2M over payment when we have had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row now? Worried about giving up futures? How the hell you going to sign all of those picks and stay under the 50 contracts? We have averaged 10 picks per round over the last 3 drafts and the next one coming. Do you know how rare that is?
Dude who cares if Mantha is 30 by the time Detroit starts competing again, Yzerman was freaking 32 years old when he won his first cup in 1997 and 33 when he won his 2nd cup in 1998 and 38 when he won his 3rd cup in 2003. How many times have very good teams never sniffed a cup more then don't. Mantha isn't going anywhere time to lock this up.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Dude who cares if Mantha is 30 by the time Detroit starts competing again, Yzerman was freaking 32 years old when he won his first cup in 1997 and 33 when he won his 2nd cup in 1998 and 38 when he won his 3rd cup in 2003. How many times have very good teams never sniffed a cup more then don't. Mantha isn't going anywhere time to lock this up.
So Mantha is Yzerman now?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
None of our players 25 or under are "Too old" to be part of our rebuild.
Players don't just fall off a cliff and die at age 29-30. Some of the good ones actually remain good until 35.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It would take a massive overpayment to get Mantha off Detroit. He's one of their fondational players, I don't see him being offersheeted and signing somewhere else, especially to a division rival.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It would take a massive overpayment to get Mantha off Detroit. He's one of their fondational players, I don't see him being offersheeted and signing somewhere else, especially to a division rival.

Interesting...

Some people say he's only worth $5M-$6M and then someone like you says he is the foundational player for the Wings in their rebuild years. And there are several Wings fans who said they would gladly take the 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third compensation. I agree with Wing fans... Yzerman takes the picks and mission acomplished. Both sides happy. Except even some Habs fans hate the idea of overpaying Mantha by $2M. Any move you make comes with risks. Some Habs fans rather not take risks but those same ones think Hall is going to sign with us and not cost any assets :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya and that's not a reason to overpay a player duh. He is not worth anywhere close to $8.75M.

Obviously he would be about $2M overpaid yes. You going to use our cap space on Hall? Or do you have plans to use our cap space on another Armia cap trade where we add another bottom 6 player?

What's your thoughts on OEL? Also too risky? :sarcasm:

Are you happy that we have season after season with $5M of cap space and the flaws on wing are no big deal?

Don't tell me the UFA plan is better.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Wings have tons of cap space and that's not a problem. Habs have about $10M in cap space if we trade Domi for futures (Sabres for the 8th pick is one example).

Does Yzerman try to low ball his top talent like he did in Tampa? Taxes not the same in Detroit. If Mantha is not happy with the offer from Yzerman, all his agent has to do is call Bergevin.

Offer 1
- 5 years at $8.75M

Offer 2:
- 2 years at $8.75M. I believe he has 2 RFA years left and he gets to UFA quicker. If the Wings match, Habs can circle back when Mantha becomes UFA in 2 years.

Yzerman's perspective... Trying to rebuild and likely wants Mantha for 7 or 8 years overlapping his rebuild and contention start point. But if Mantha is signed for 2 or 5 years does he consider the futures?

LOL 8.75m for Mantha i'm extremely happy you have nothing to do with the Habs organisation congrats its the worse offer i've seen on this forum.

Reactions: beowulf

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Cause it's a matter of circumstance. Canes and Wings both have cap space to match but one team is at a different point. Wings are in rebuild mode and Mantha will be 30 when they surface as a potential contender or team on the rise. So I think the Wings value the compensation vs the Canes. Understand? Of course I'd like Svechnikov more. Same with Barzal. But you can go as high as you can... they will match cause they need them now. Even if the Habs went higher with Aho last year (Like I am proposing with Mantha)... Canes probably still match!

I'm not worried about Mantha being overpaid by about $2M in his prime years. He could go all 5 years overpaid or he's not overpaid cause he's putting up 70-80 pts and 30-40 goals. $8.75M looks like a lot today but in 3-5 years? :sarcasm:

We waited over a decade to get the Centers and young LD depth. How long you going to wait for a winger with size who can put the puck in the net? Another decade? You really going to be conservative on $2M over payment when we have had over $5M in cap space for 3 years in a row now? Worried about giving up futures? How the hell you going to sign all of those picks and stay under the 50 contracts? We have averaged 10 picks per round over the last 3 drafts and the next one coming. Do you know how rare that is?
I really get the impression that going above the threshold for the two first rounders is not required . Five year 8.5 million dollar offer will not be matched .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
LOL 8.75m for Mantha i'm extremely happy you have nothing to do with the Habs organisation congrats its the worse offer i've seen on this forum.
Just off the top of my head , skinner at 8 yrs 72 million is worse no ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really get the impression that going above the threshold for the two first rounders is not required . Five year 8.5 million dollar offer will not be matched .

Hard to say. Neither you or I have the option to actually call Yzerman and see what kind of futures he would want. I think Yzerman matches without the extra 1st (my gut feeling)

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Hard to say. Neither you or I have the option to actually call Yzerman and see what kind of futures he would want. I think Yzerman matches without the extra 1st (my gut feeling)
Well I guess 8.275 is ok with 8.276 being the threshold for the second first pick . Whether yzerman would match or not, your concept is bringing some excellent discussion .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well I guess 8.275 is ok with 8.276 being the threshold for the second first pick . Whether yzerman would match or not, your concept is bringing some excellent discussion .

It's not $8.276 anymore. It's $8.726M Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I agree this is interesting to talk about. Wings fans say they would not match and take the picks but other Habs fans not willing to take the risks. Those same fans think Hall will sign though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's overpayment and then there's this. It's so outlandish it boggles the mind.

Not really. It's about $2M in over payment. And the Habs have went 3 seasons in a row with over $5M in cap space. I looked at our fork in the road which is the 21/22 season and it's very workable. Post 151 I believe shows that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

OK... match the offer sheet then. Or don't try to be cheap with him and create a possible offer sheet from the Habs.

The narrative of we will sign him for $5M - $6M easily is flawed. That gets you about 3 or 4 years where you guy 1 or 2 UFA years. 5 year deal will cost you more than $6M IMO. So if you are willing to pay him, this problem goes away. But if you try to get cheap with him... all his agent has to do is call the Habs.

Sorry if this CBA rule hurts your plans. I wouldn't like it either if the shoe was on the other foot but it's business. No hard feelings

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
None of our players 25 or under are "Too old" to be part of our rebuild.
Players don't just fall off a cliff and die at age 29-30. Some of the good ones actually remain good until 35.

And vastly more fall off quickly after they turn 30 or 31. If this team is, in Yzerman's estimation, more than 5 years from competing (and if we continue to fail to find elite talent, they're at least that far out), then he should absolutely be looking at moving Mantha. If someone wants to give him $9m or whatever, then he should drive him to the airport ad send the other GM a thank you card for making the decision really, really easy.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It's not $8.276 anymore. It's $8.726M Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I agree this is interesting to talk about. Wings fans say they would not match and take the picks but other Habs fans not willing to take the risks. Those same fans think Hall will sign though
I’d be all for hall but he’s heading to Calgary . I don’t buy the notion he bought a house there so he won’t be moving . I really believe yzerman could go for a good quantity futures package . Maybe one centred around Caufield.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If he’s not happy with the money yzerman is offering I could see him considering an offer sheet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad