Proposal: Habs offer sheet Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You guys are comical. If someone posted a $6.5M offer sheet you would make fun of them for it being too low. :laugh:

That is why an O/S on Mantha is impossible to fit the bill. The whole point of the O/S is to take advantage of your cap situation vs the the other team, but DET has plenty of cap space. In addition, Mantha is not an elite player and has injury history, so he is not the guy you want to overpay for as the Habs. And without overpayment, DET matches and does not care so the O/S is useless...

Reactions: wintersej

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
9.5m a year for an inconsistent scoring winger

I wondered what happened to Jason botterill, guess he posts on HF now...

It's supposed to be a secret ... but after that he wants to trade Mantha for fourth liners ;) (poor (rich) guy but he really messed up)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
9.5 for Mantha is crazy talk.

Aggressive yes but if you are going to offer sheet, you have to go high. Yzerman matches anything where he only gets a 1st, 2nd, 3rd. $8.3M is the threshold where it's an extra 1st.

Overpaid yes. He would not be the only one in the NHL and the Habs have the cap space to do it. What's better... no Mantha and we go 4 years in a row with more than $5M in cap space cause no top UFA will sign? Think about it. Aggressive yes but Mantha is what we need on wing.

It's the right time to do this with our youth on ELC/Bridge deals. By the time they exit those years (like Mantha today), The cap is much higher and Weber is likely gone after his age 37 season.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Aggressive yes but if you are going to offer sheet, you have to go high. Yzerman matches anything where he only gets a 1st, 2nd, 3rd. $8.3M is the threshold where it's an extra 1st.

Overpaid yes. He would not be the only one in the NHL and the Habs have the cap space to do it. What's better... no Mantha and we go 4 years in a row with more than $5M in cap space cause no top UFA will sign? Think about it. Aggressive yes but Mantha is what we need on wing.

It's the right time to do this with our youth on ELC/Bridge deals. By the time they exit those years (like Mantha today), The cap is much higher and Weber is likely gone after his age 37 season.

I don’t agree with this logic at all tbh. I see your stand point I just can’t imagine a GM doing this

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Marc Bergevin doesn't even know how to do offer sheets, His $5.3m offer sheet on Sebastian Aho was a royal joke yeah like Carolina wasn't easily going to match that one. He'd be dumb enough to offer Mantha 5 x $6.5m and Yzerman easily matches and says thank you for helping him out here.

You want to think about that one again. I get it... you are a Wings fan and another team came in with a very high contract offer for Mantha. I would not like it either

Talk with me for a second. When is the point of contention for the Wings with Yzerman's rebuild according to your opinion? 5+ years? Not sooner than that right? So doesn't the 2 First, 1 Second, and 1 Third fit your rebuild better? In the 5-7 year range... Mantha is 30-32. Mantha gone actually helps you tank more in the next 2 years.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd keep Mantha at all costs.

... Except when it comes to watching Montreal try to sign all their young talent while Mantha/Price/Weber suck up $28M of their cap. :laugh:

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Match the contract then. Seems to be no problem right?
No, actually. Anthony Mantha is not worth $9M to any team, no matter how much cap they have. Detroit gladly takes the draft pick compensation and Canadiens fans burn down the Bell Centre.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t agree with this logic at all tbh. I see your stand point I just can’t imagine a GM doing this

99% of the talk on these boards are fantasy talk so take that with a grain of salt. I think in year 4 and 5, $9.5M don't look as bad. And remember, that is not a set in stone offer. The idea is Yzerman low balls Mantha thinking he can get his top talent to sign for less but the taxes are not the same in Detroit. If Yzerman plays hard ball with Mantha, his agent can call Bergevin and reveal Yzerman's top offer. Then we have a gauge on where to start.

Tell me this... At $8.3M, does Yzerman match or let him go for the 16th, 47th, and 78th picks?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm not going to reveal all my strategy here.

Unless you're really MB I don't see why secrecy is a necessity, it's for fun anyway haha nobody will stop it here ;)

I've looked into cap projections for the next 3 years and it likely means Tatar and Byron off loaded. It's not a massive problem. And I would be not worried about some of our players getting jealous of what Mantha makes. My plan is to roll 3 lines... I'll let you think about the advantage to that both on the ice and off the ice.

Sure. The 2-5 year term and AAV is not set in stone. This would come in contract talks after Mantha's agent tells us what the offer the Wings have on the table. Then you go from there. But would Yzerman match if the compensation was 1st, 2nd, 3rd? Probably

My problem with this though, is you better make sure those picks are not lottery picks. Adding Mantha, losing Domi looks like a "fit" upgrade but I don't think it makes us a playoff team. There's not money left for other UFA, so you bet everything on our youth to be contention-level? Only Suzuki and KK have played at the NHL level out of our "promising" youngsters

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You want us to pay 9.5M$ to an NHL forward going into his 6th season whose never topped 48 points?

While this is a terrible idea, it's getting real f***ing old having people talk about Mantha's point totals and ignoring the games he's missed.

If you want to call him injury prone, that's fair. Pretending he's a sub 50 point player is just bullshit and ignorance.

Reactions: grewalwings

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Wings have tons of cap space and that's not a problem. Habs have about $10M in cap space if we trade Domi for futures (Sabres for the 8th pick is one example).

Does Yzerman try to low ball his top talent like he did in Tampa? Taxes not the same in Detroit. If Mantha is not happy with the offer from Yzerman, all his agent has to do is call Bergevin.

Offer 1
- 5 years at $9.5M
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Offer 2:
- 2 years at $9M. I believe he has 2 RFA years left and he gets to UFA quicker. If the Wings match, Habs can circle back when Mantha becomes UFA in 2 years.
- If they don't match... 2 Firsts, 1 Second, 1 Third

Yzerman's perspective... Trying to rebuild and likely wants Mantha for 7 or 8 years overlapping his rebuild and contention start point. But if Mantha is signed for 2 or 5 years does he consider the futures?

Why on earth would the Montreal Canadiens want to pay Mantha a salary of $9 million or more?

Then, as a reward for giving out a contract that even Kyle Dubas thinks is generous, the Canadiens also surrender multiple high end draft choices?

This is ridiculous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, actually. Anthony Mantha is not worth $9M to any team, no matter how much cap they have. Detroit gladly takes the draft pick compensation and Canadiens fans burn down the Bell Centre.

Most agree he is not worth that today. And I don't think the Habs care one bit about Mantha being overpaid. I think we care about our unused cap space more. It's been 3 years with more than $5M in cap space now and if we are conservative, it will be 4 straight years.

Not worried about overpaying Mantha about $2M.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Offer sheet is the difference. I have a strategy and not going to tell you everything ;)

You have a strategy eh? Ok.......you have a strategy on a public forum and just a fan.....but you have a strategy. Ok. Haha

OS is different but not nearly double in value......your either under selling Domi & Danault contract values in trade threads or significantly over valuing Mantha contract value or both.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why on earth would the Montreal Canadiens want to pay Mantha a salary of $9 million or more?

Then, as a reward for giving out a contract that even Kyle Dubas thinks is generous, the Canadiens also surrender multiple high end draft choices?

This is ridiculous.

Cause we went through 3 seasons in a row with $5M+ in cap space and it likely is 4 straight years after this year. Why? Cause UFA talent like Hall won't sign. It's not rocket science. A hockey market like the Habs with 3 years in a row with $5M in cap space? And some are flipping out overpaying Mantha by $2M :laugh:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The idea is Yzerman low balls Mantha thinking he can get his top talent to sign for less but the taxes are not the same in Detroit

Boy, I sure hope the GM of an NHL franchise has taken into account compensation and doesn't just conveniently forget that MI taxes aren't the same as FL taxes. I suppose that would be an easy mistake to make, though, given that Yzerman has never negotiated a contract with a top player before.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Mantha is a lot better than what his stat sheet says and there are various reasons why his point totals never blew up. None of them have to do with his talent level. Personally think he’s in process of breaking out and will be regarded as one of the better power forwards in the league soon. Was on his way to doing that last season before he broke his hand on someone’s face

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have a strategy eh? Ok.......you have a strategy on a public forum and just a fan.....but you have a strategy. Ok. Haha

OS is different but not nearly double in value......your either under selling Domi & Danault contract values in trade threads or significantly over valuing Mantha contract value or both.

I've looked into different projections for the next 3 years. Yes, I am a fan and I have a strategy. This is not some knee jerk reaction proposal. I'm not afraid of overpaying Mantha by $2M when we went 3 seasons in a row with $5M+ of cap space and it's likely going to be 4 years next season.

Make fun all you want

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Most agree he is not worth that today. And I don't think the Habs care one bit about Mantha being overpaid. I think we care about our unused cap space more. It's been 3 years with more than $5M in cap space now and if we are conservative, it will be 4 straight years.

Not worried about overpaying Mantha about $2M.
He would still be overpaid in 3 years.
And apparently offer sheet compensation holds no value to you?

If we care so much about unused cap space, spend it on someone who's more proven and UFA or try to swing a trade for a player you really like and deal with your own team surplus (Domi, perhaps?) at the same time, instead of giving up assets that you may want to keep?

This proposal is the absolute poorest example of cap and asset management.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mantha is a lot better than what his stat sheet says and there are various reasons why his point totals never blew up. None of them have to do with his talent level. Personally think he’s in process of breaking out and will be regarded as one of the better power forwards in the league soon. Was on his way to doing that last season before he broke his hand on someone’s face

He's not worth $9M but he could be if he plays with better talent or a deeper team. Even if he is a 65 pts and 30 goal man, I'd be content with that. Overpaid yes but the Habs are at a critical point where they need a winger like him IMO. Plus we went 3 seasons in a row with $5M of wasted space.

Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Primeau will all be on ELC/Bridge deals in that 5 year term. Alzner is off the books here soon too. Byron can be offloaded. Habs don't have cap space problems. At worse, we loose Tatar for Mantha.

Mantha's stats over the last two years are actually in line with Laine believe it or not. Plus Mantha is heading in prime years.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If Mantha is worth $7M, how much is Gallagher worth ???
Problem is overpaying AND compensating with high draft picks. Do you really think adding Mantha, subbing Domi for an 8th pick makes us a playoff team tomorrow? Unless you have much more planned, those 1sts have a real chance of being 2 lottery picks.

Worst case scenario in 2 years Mantha leaves and... we're back to square 1?

A question about your offers though, why offer less on a years contract? I'd actually be more chill giving 9,5 over 2 years as if it's a flop then at least it's a short term flop...
I would sooner have Mantha than Gallagher

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I've looked into different projections for the next 3 years. Yes, I am a fan and I have a strategy. This is not some knee jerk reaction proposal. I'm not afraid of overpaying Mantha by $2M when we went 3 seasons in a row with $5M+ of cap space and it's likely going to be 4 years next season.

Make fun all you want

I’m not trying to make fun of you, no need for that.......I’m just questioning your logic & motivation. Fairly certain Habs won’t be giving that OS to Mantha after the Aho “OS attempt”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad