Post-Game Talk: Habs lose Weber (oh, and the game too, 1-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Because the output that got us to +8 in win% was based on a few players producing over their potential.

It also had players producing below their potential. And injuries. Those are in fact a thing that happens.

It's not blind perception. Now instead of climbing the walls because you got a stick up yours about having a hard time with perceptions that don't fit your own, realize that potential OUTPUT is based on what those players did before. And yes, a lot of them were higher than their usual mean.

You realize what others did before isn't just boxcar stats, right?

Now go argue with someone else.

If you don't want to debate, don't debate. No one is forcing you.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It also had players producing below their potential. And injuries. Those are in fact a thing that happens.

It's pointless to argue with you because you lack objectivity.

This is proven by you using the usual "players were also producing below and injuries" when it has already been shown that those were few compared to the excess production of players like Domi, Drouin, Tatar and Petry.

The fact you try to equate one with the other shows your bias.

We get it. You believe this team to have better potential. It's bias quite simply.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Games are not "officially" the playoffs right now BUT to me it is playoff season so in my mind a match up like last night is a playoff game. Two teams on the outside looking in. Having said that, IMHO the next two months will be more of an indicator of what this team really is. It's crunch time and this team strikes me as being crunchless.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I find it funny how people grill Petry for inconsistency. He's probably been our most consistent player of the year. A handful of bad games doesn't outweigh the many great games he has.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
It's pointless to argue with you because you lack objectivity.

This is proven by you using the usual "players were also producing below and injuries" when it has already been shown that those were few compared to the excess production of players like Domi, Drouin, Tatar and Petry.

The fact you try to equate one with the other shows your bias.

We get it. You believe this team to have better potential. It's bias quite simply.

Where did I say that the goals for from the beginning of the season was sustainable?

But if I'm not being objective by thinking that a healthy Weber and Byron, a progression to the mean by guys like Price, Danault, Lehkonen, etc. offsets the regression of other guys.

I don't even know how I lack objectivity. I don't want this team to be average. I want them to be a lottery team. I wish you were right. But they aren't that.

At ES they're great at outshooting and outchancing their opponents. They've got a good coach. Kotkaniemi has a been a welcome addition to the team. They always had sufficient depth to somewhat offset their lack of top end players. Their PP sucks in every possible way. Price was struggling but has bounced back recently.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I find it funny how people grill Petry for inconsistency. He's probably been our most consistent player of the year. A handful of bad games doesn't outweigh the many great games he has.
and vice versa

Plays too high in line up because this blue line is so shallow.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Us habs fans? Overreacting and incorrectly talking poorly on some players based off a small sample size versus the bigger picture?
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

Edit: Picture was huge so i downsized it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Habs offensive punch seems to have slowed down lately.
2,30 goals per game in the last 10 games....and that include two 5 goals game

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Where did I say that the goals for from the beginning of the season was sustainable?

But if I'm not being objective by thinking that a healthy Weber and Byron, a progression to the mean by guys like Price, Danault, Lehkonen, etc. offsets the regression of other guys.

I don't even know how I lack objectivity. I don't want this team to be average. I want them to be a lottery team. I wish you were right. But they aren't that.

At ES they're great at outshooting and outchancing their opponents. They've got a good coach. Kotkaniemi has a been a welcome addition to the team. They always had sufficient depth to somewhat offset their lack of top end players. Their PP sucks in every possible way. Price was struggling but has bounced back recently.
The chance of them winning a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years is better than our beer league teams. Not much better though.

The supreme optimists will disagree. Makes it easier for them to watch every game. :sarcasm:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Injuries cannot be taken into it playing below potential.......team at other end 100 percent healthy every night?

Except in the extreme........Injuries are a excuse .....a non factor really....in other words a wash.

Reactions: LaP

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Injuries cannot be taken into it playing below potential........because the team at the other end have to deal with same thing.

not all injuries are created equal. Missing a Weber is not the same as missing an Armia. And that's just one consideration.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
not all injuries are created equal. Missing a Weber is not the same as missing an Armia. And that's just one consideration.
Habs missing Weber playing the leafs who are missing Mattews. Or the Bruins who are missing Bergevin. Mcalvie, Chara all at once, or Pens missing Murray, Shultz, Hornquist. etc etc etc .

Im not talking about which player you are missing over another.......Im saying thre Habs so called "potential" is not being hurt by injury unless the team they are playing have no injures. And how often does that happen.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Games are not "officially" the playoffs right now BUT to me it is playoff season so in my mind a match up like last night is a playoff game. Two teams on the outside looking in. Having said that, IMHO the next two months will be more of an indicator of what this team really is. It's crunch time and this team strikes me as being crunchless.
Agree. I would bet money that this teams first half will be their best half.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Habs missing Weber playing the leafs who are missing Mattews. Or the Bruins who are missing Bergevin. Mcalvie, Chara all at once, or Pens missing Murray, Shultz, Hornquist. etc etc etc .

Im not talking about which player you are missing over another.......Im saying thre Habs so called "potential" is not being hurt by injury unless the team they are playing have no injures. And how often does that happen.

Highlighting the injuries of teams that we all know are better than the Habs, two of which really struggled for large portions of the year, is a weird way to minimize the impact of Montreal's injuries.

I haven't checked the numbers but, it seems like we were winning more often without those two. Coincidence?

Kind of. Armia doesn't move the needle and Montreal's record is pretty similar with and without Weber. There are other factors than health that go into team performance.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Injuries can be used as an excuse to an extent. Last night, Weber was injured and had to leave the game. Unfortunate, yes. However, the Wild were missing their most productive blue liner. Injuries have an impact on every roster not to mention the performance of certain players who remain on the ice while injured. Good teams overcome injuries and don't use them as an excuse. JMHO. I remember a Habs team that did that a few years ago and made the conference finals.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Injuries can be used as an excuse to an extent. Last night, Weber was injured and had to leave the game. Unfortunate, yes. However, the Wild were missing their most productive blue liner. Injuries have an impact on every roster not to mention the performance of certain players who remain on the ice while injured. Good teams overcome injuries and don't use them as an excuse. JMHO. I remember a Habs team that did that a few years ago and made the conference finals.
True but it's always challenging losing a player in the middle of a game. Screws up the lines. Habs lost 2 last night early on. Not an excuse but it certainly has a pretty big effect.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Highlighting the injuries of teams that we all know are better than the Habs, two of which really struggled for large portions of the year, is a weird way to minimize the impact of Montreal's injuries.

Kind of. Armia doesn't move the needle and Montreal's record is pretty similar with and without Weber. There are other factors than health that go into team performance.
Injuries period are an excuse.

Canadiesn and some of their fans live on excuses these past few years. Certainly see why the "no excuses" signs were ordered to be taken down.

Reactions: Runner77

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Nilan has been giving it to Drouin today for his lack of effort and looking like he doesn't give a **** out on the ice. Momesso gave it to him last night during the game as well for just giving up and going directly to the bench.

The guy is so talented and a joy to watch when he competes and so frustrating to watch when he mails games in which happens way too often with this guy.

Reactions: PaulD and Runner77

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
That particular game though, the Habs were 2 men short for 2 periods, thats not easy to play 40 minutes like that.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Injuries period are an excuse.

Canadiesn and some of their fans live on excuses these past few years. Certainly see why the "no excuses" signs were ordered to be taken down.
Its true theres been a lack of depth, but if you finish say in the top 5 for man games lost, id say thats a good reason to make excuses. A healthy team is probably competing for a playoff spot, despite talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad