Post-Game Talk: Habs lose Weber (oh, and the game too, 1-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This game shows the homers the real Jeff Petry, because it seems him putting some points up had eradicated his defensive woes in the brains of most of us around here.
The real Jeff Petry??......71pts since the start of last year on an offensively challenged team, but it’s this one play from last night that defines him.......:facepalm:

Reactions: Edgy and Lshap

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Basically every shot from the Habs was from the point or outside. Didn't make life very tough for Dubnyk. He'd be a HOFer if he played the Habs every night.

This team is in deep trouble if Weber's face is broken.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Such a frustrating year and I fear this team will end up with a mid round pick and no playoffs to show for it.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Basically every shot from the Habs was from the point or outside. Didn't make life very tough for Dubnyk. He'd be a HOFer if he played the Habs every night.

This team is in deep trouble if Weber's face is broken.
He’s good to go.......and I agree with the rest of your post, it was a poor effort last night.

I see us playing .400 hockey for the rest of the season and finish with the 9th pick, it’s how it’s trending....

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
It happens....one bad play doesn’t define his season.

It's more than one bad play. Despite his offensive output he's a liability out there, he's been prone to numerous give aways, weak coverage and defensive brain cramps since day 1.
In his defense his shortcomings are compounded when he's put in a position where he is overly relied upon as has been the case with Weber's injuries past 2 seasons.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Without Weber we've got to have the worst D in the league. The only real blueliner we've got is Petry.

The real Jeff Petry??......71pts since the start of last year on an offensively challenged team, but it’s this one play from last night that defines him.......:facepalm:
The problem with Weber getting hurt is it forces everyone to play a level above where they should be. And this is exacerbated by the fact that most of them are journeymen/green players to begin with.

When Weber went down last night it meant we had to use Petry a lot more and he promptly had the worst game I've seen him play. Twice he threw the puck out to the slot and on the 2nd one he prevented his goalie from being able to move to stop the shot.

Our blueline isn't great to begin with but it has zero depth. It's been a recurring cast of players coming and going to and from the AHL. Schelmko, Mete, Oulette, Kulak, Juulesen, Reilly... these guys haven't been regular players. Alzner is in the AHL and Benn was god awful until he started being put down further in the lineup. We're a much better team with Weber if only because these guys play a lot less. When he's gone we're forced to play a guy like Benn a whole lot more and he looks absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Gallagher took a puck to his hand last game. He's probably injured.

Yes, plus its not rediculouse to think that Gally can go on cold streaks and to top it off... his style of play isn't conducive to long term success in the NHL ( being good at say 35-36) . He plays a rough game and his body may be catching up. Cold streak, injury.

we have more glaring issues then gally right now.. I swear I've heard that statment about MTL goalie before....

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
January we have 7 home games vs 4 road games, so I thought this would be a month we might gain traction, so far 1-2 at home. Other teams have GIH too. Lots of hockey is left. We'll see where we stand by the All Star break.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Gallagher took a puck to his hand last game. He's probably injured.

I’m so tired of this double standard with him. He stopped producing 10-15 games ago not just last game. At first people were moking Danault by calling him an offensive blackhole. The day that Danault surpassed him now people are saying he’s injured?

It would be any other player and they would have been called out but when it’s about Gallagher we see a bunch of excuses for his bad play.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's more than one bad play. Despite his offensive output he's a liability out there, he's been prone to numerous give aways, weak coverage and defensive brain cramps since day 1.
In his defense his shortcomings are compounded when he's put in a position where he is overly relied upon as has been the case with Weber's injuries past 2 seasons.
Players that handle the puck tend to give it away
Without Weber we've got to have the worst D in the league. The only real blueliner we've got is Petry.

The problem with Weber getting hurt is it forces everyone to play a level above where they should be. And this is exacerbated by the fact that most of them are journeymen/green players to begin with.

When Weber went down last night it meant we had to use Petry a lot more and he promptly had the worst game I've seen him play. Twice he threw the puck out to the slot and on the 2nd one he prevented his goalie from being able to move to stop the shot.

Our blueline isn't great to begin with but it has zero depth. It's been a recurring cast of players coming and going to and from the AHL. Schelmko, Mete, Oulette, Kulak, Juulesen, Reilly... these guys haven't been regular players. Alzner is in the AHL and Benn was god awful until he started being put down further in the lineup. We're a much better team with Weber if only because these guys play a lot less. When he's gone we're forced to play a guy like Benn a whole lot more and he looks absolutely terrible.
agree with the D.....as a whole....it’s bad. It’ll be off season priority numero uno to revamp and solidify. We have a few good pieces but that’s all

Reactions: Runner77

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The real Jeff Petry is NOT the one that should be a top 2 d-men. Petry is fine as a top 4. BUt never top 2. Don't blame him from looking bad when he's not in his real chair. Blame the lack of depth.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This team was outplayed again last night. That's 2 games in a row. Nobody is playing particularly well besides Price. Smells like a slump... I hope not

I disagree on them being outplayed last night. Habs gave the Wild some fits, as well. This wasn't similar to the Nashville game where Preds gave nothing to Montreal and the Habs themselves couldn't even complete a proper pass.

Last night, they showed signs of life and had their chances. The result was a loss, but I don't think they were outplayed. Also considering they were playing with 11 forwards and 5 defensemen for the majority of the game.

I don't mind the loss last night because I feel like the team put in an honest effort.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I disagree on them being outplayed last night. Habs gave the Wild some fits, as well. This wasn't similar to the Nashville game where Preds gave nothing to Montreal and the Habs themselves couldn't even complete a proper pass.

Last night, they showed signs of life and had their chances. The result was a loss, but I don't think they were outplayed. Also considering they were playing with 11 forwards and 5 defensemen for the majority of the game.

I don't mind the loss last night because I feel like the team put in an honest effort.
Excellent effort especially considering they were 2 men short.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Petry had to play 27 minutes tonight.
6 minutes more than Benn / Mete.

And honestly, I can't believe people are saying ''AT LEAST GAMES ARE ENTERTAINING THIS YEAR !''
Yeah the 20 first games maybe ? Now it's a pure snoozefest. And I seriously can't stand Drouin anymore.

Vancouver so-so, Dallas entertaining, Tampa Bay entertaining, Arizona so-so, Colorado entertaining,Vegas entertaining.. This is not a very good team, you’re right, but i dont think its fair to criticize the level of entertainment, if so, your expectations are way too high. Ive got Center Ice at home and i watch at least 10-12 games a week and i would say that the Habs this year are in the top 5 among the most enjoyable team to watch .

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’m so tired of this double standard with him. He stopped producing 10-15 games ago not just last game. At first people were moking Danault by calling him an offensive blackhole. The day that Danault surpassed him now people are saying he’s injured?

It would be any other player and they would have been called out but when it’s about Gallagher we see a bunch of excuses for his bad play.
The reason you see "excuses" is because he's a very consistent player. And when he plays an ineffective game it's the exception rather than the rule.

His production has dropped in the past when his hands have been injured. It's not a stretch to think that he's injured now and it has something to do with it.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The reason you see "excuses" is because he's a very consistent player. And when he plays an ineffective game it's the exception rather than the rule.

His production has dropped in the past when his hands have been injured. It's not a stretch to think that he's injured now and it has something to do with it.

My issue is that it first started by blaming Danault and that he was the one holding down Gallagher and that the minute he started producing and out produced Gallagher the narrative changed to him being injured. Hence the reason why I'm saying we are finding excuse for his poor play.

I think he should be held to the same standard as our other players who gets criticized.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Im missing the joke, but I am sure when I get it it will be funny... can you or someone else give the picture context please.... I am from canada eh... they think I am kinda slow eh ( simpsons quote)
It's not a picture. It's a video. Click on it to play it.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So glad Weber is ok. This team is hard to watch without him.

Thought Mete played extremely well though. His teammates need to capitalize when he intercepts a play and joins the rush.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad