Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Wild. ZzzzZz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like the Petry deal. At the time I wasn’t completely sold on it. Would have preferred futures, but at some point you need roster players for the current roster. I like what I see from Matheson. He’s like a Petry light.

I was like WTF at first but that was because I didn't know Matheson that well. A Petry light is a good way to put it.

Yeah, we wanted futures but teams are not taking cap hits due to the shortage of cap space across the NHL. We did the best we could and now we might have a younger Petry at the back half of their prime.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
He's still the hardest working player on the ice, even though he can't produce anymore. How exactly is that a bad example?? Especially if the goal isn't to win at all price?
The guys who doesn’t carry his own weight and has a massive ego is never a good presence to have in any environment. Other players are fighting for their futures, they look at Gallagher and see someone who doesn’t help them win, drags their line down, and makes mistakes — someone who costs the team points, costs other players points for their stats, and takes up a space better filled by one of their benched players (who very likely doesn’t have an ego the size of the moon).

I was a hard working but shit player too, nobody liked playing with me because I touched the soccer ball like it was a live grenade.

I’ve really soured on Gallagher when he revealed himself to be minimally talented or minimally capable of retaining whatever strengths he had at one point. No shot, no vision, no stamina. It’s a shame, is all.

• Love
Reactions: MarkovsKnee and the

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The guys who doesn’t carry his own weight and has a massive ego is never a good presence to have in any environment. Other players are fighting for their futures, they look at Gallagher and see someone who doesn’t help them win, drags their line down, and makes mistakes — someone who costs the team points, costs other players points for their stats, and takes up a space better filled by one of their benched players (who very likely doesn’t have an ego the size of the moon).

I was a hard working but shit player too, nobody liked playing with me because I touched the soccer ball like it was a live grenade.

I’ve really soured on Gallagher when he revealed himself to be minimally talented or minimally capable of retaining whatever strengths he had at one point. No shot, no vision, no stamina. It’s a shame, is all.

Strongly disagree here. Especially about the "massive ego" part. Not sure where you got that. He's pretty much the definition of a team player to me.

Reactions: MilesNewton

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Strongly disagree here. Especially about the "massive ego" part. Not sure where you got that. He's pretty much the definition of a team player to me.
We can agree to disagree. His comportment on the ice doesn’t tell me Team Player, nor his whining to the refs.

Reactions: the

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Gallagher’s a heart and guts guy, he’s given the Habs quality years. Now where his play today is exactly, I’m not sure. He had that one good preseason game and the goal.

It seemed more difficult yesterday maybe because he was injured. MSL needs to play him based on where he is on any given week not on his play 3 years ago.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
A sign of his intensity, not of any massive ego.

It's also true that he's a marked player and that he never gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs. I usually share his frustration...
His intensity is the only reason he is in the NHL, I understand and sympathize. But he is not an effective player so the intensity is just obnoxious now. He can’t skate and can’t finish a shift.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I watched 2 periods and it was hella bad. This team needs competent players who can shoot the puck or even want to. Caufield is the only one able to do it effectively and it shows and is the main reason our pp is so bad, he is the only real threat to score.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Watching Wideman makes you understand how important a role Petry played on this team for the past half decade and how we miss his proposed short term replacement, Matheson. Its hard to believe how many here were urging, clamouring for the team to trade Petry away for any return.
Well it was correct to trade Petry for personal snd hockey reasons. It would be a hockey problem that they don’t have puck movers but they weren’t going to win this year in any case.

Rebuild is random, acquire oicks and prospects. In a year or two they can start looking to sign or trade the guys they need to compete.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You fellows wanted the rebuild. No sense crying about it on here everyday. You got 4 more years of this. Going to take time to develop these draft picks.

You wanted the scoring depth traded off, the Toffoli, Lekhonen, types. After losing Price to alcoholism and Weber to injury. Danault wanted to spend his winters in sunny Cal instead of ice bound Montreal. That's three stars lost same off season. Not much can do.
I love the rebuild! But you are wrong on the time frame, will not be another 4 years. Next year they will start to improve and in 4 years I expect to be in the top half of the league. Hopefully we hit a real star somewhere in our drafting and can think about a cup in 4 to 8 years.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I know he missed the penalty shot, but that's one of the best games I've seen Hoffman play. $10 says he was well aware of the scouts in the stands.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
So my post didn't apply to you.
I was leapfrogging on your comment, not arguing.

Your post is clearly addressed at all of us us by the way (bolded below). Your post may have some flaw if it’s addressed at everyone but does not represent my opinion even if you insist I need to chose one of the two you propose.

I really don't understand this forum.

Almost everybody
wanted at the start of this season to finish at the bottom of the standings so we could fail hard for Bedard. Yet I see all this moaning and bitching about how bad the Habs played. What did everyone think? We would win 75 of the 82 games and Bettman would award us the first overall draft pick because Montreal is a French city and French is sexy.

You either want the Habs to finish at the bottom of the standings or you don't. If they're to finish at the bottom that means they play like a bottom feeder NOT like a playoff team.

Besides, you all came on this forum and made dire predictions about how badly the Habs would be this year. So these Habs should not be a surprise to anyone. Apparently, everyone is surprised and upset.

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I think some people are really going to needxto temper expectations this season. Lacking a PP quarterback is a clear problem and with all the youth on the blue line, and even up front, they are going to take time.

It's always hard seeing them lose, but once you realize what they need and how they can get it, it softens the blow. It's going to be a very long season, but I truly think next year will be a turning point. The 3 young D will have a full year (all looking great btw). Caulfield's confidence keeps growing. Hopefully Dach and Slafkovsky keep getting better. Then, if they can draft top 5 at the very least, they'll secure another star.

They have to fail at least one more time.

Reactions: Naslundforever

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Many claimed he was carrying Danault, but they also claimed Poehling was Danault’s replacement. Hard to take opinions like that seriously to be fair.

Reactions: Runner77

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Hoffman least used forward tells me he is finally entering disfavor. I hope so, I dislike players like this.

It's been like that for a while now. Least used against Florida and second least used against Dallas (Dadonov was worse... and Gallagher but that's because of injuries).

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Gallagher’s a heart and guts guy, he’s given the Habs quality years. Now where his play today is exactly, I’m not sure. He had that one good preseason game and the goal.

It seemed more difficult yesterday maybe because he was injured. MSL needs to play him based on where he is on any given week not on his play 3 years ago.

his emotional drama on the ice is getting to be too much for me. Waving his arms in disgust at every call and non call , going down like he's been shot from the upper seats, only to come back 2 shifts later. Guess there's a reason he was not picked captain

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Or, here is a concept cause reading is hard

Dont give PP time to undeserving players
OK, beer league coach i am sure MSL is waiting to get your line-up card! Why not just start a merry go round on the power play? Send Wideman to Siberia, put Gallagher and Hoffman on waivers. Its a long season I am all for making adjustments but to call players "undeserving" is ignorant.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
AptShockingAyeaye-size_restricted.gif
Yup well, no sense wanting terrible hockey team for five years and crying about it every game is there?

Lehkonen and Danault are NOT scoring depth. Whatever lehkone does this season is not an inidication. He is the only lw Colorado has so he gets to play with MacKinnon by default. Danault is probably a 45 pt forward. Only Toffoli would be a significant point producer and if he loses a step he is done.
Lekhonen real valuable player. Shown in playoffs last two years. Danault good player also. Toffoli on pace for 60 points.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I was leapfrogging on your comment, not arguing.

Your post is clearly addressed at all of us us by the way (bolded below). Your post may have some flaw if it’s addressed at everyone but does not represent my opinion even if you insist I need to chose one of the two you propose.

I really don't understand this forum.

Almost everybody
wanted at the start of this season to finish at the bottom of the standings so we could fail hard for Bedard. Yet I see all this moaning and bitching about how bad the Habs played. What did everyone think? We would win 75 of the 82 games and Bettman would award us the first overall draft pick because Montreal is a French city and French is sexy.

You either want the Habs to finish at the bottom of the standings or you don't. If they're to finish at the bottom that means they play like a bottom feeder NOT like a playoff team.

Besides, you all came on this forum and made dire predictions about how badly the Habs would be this year. So these Habs should not be a surprise to anyone. Apparently, everyone is surprised and upset.

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

Thank you for speaking the truth. No wonder players avoid playing for Montreal with social media trolls , back stabbing reporters and rabid fans it makes sense why a great city and hockey team can't attract many players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
his emotional drama on the ice is getting to be too much for me. Waving his arms in disgust at every call and non call , going down like he's been shot from the upper seats, only to come back 2 shifts later. Guess there's a reason he was not picked captain
What was that slo-mo slide that Gallagher was performing toward Fleury? Looked to me that he had plenty of time to change his trajectory and avoid contact.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Gally used to really take a regular beating when he crashed the goalie. And he would take most of them without complaining. Despite the fact contact with the goalie was made illegal, he seems to be waiting for those beatings that never come anymore. He gets upset at less than he used to. Refs don’t care because of his history.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4