Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the A-Hos in shootout

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I will never understand Julien's shootout decisions.
Byron was legit to me but i didnt understand why he was just hell slow. You have to start quick and fast and slow down, not the opposite. He shot on him. Drouin was okay but Suzuki was the worst choice. Dhe didnt had a good game, you put him third player. with a ton of pressure, he was boooh by the crowd. He just crack and i understand it. A guy like Domi would more appropriate to me

Reactions: calder candidate

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Byron was legit to me but i didnt understand why he was just hell slow. You have to start quick and fast and slow down, not the opposite. He shot on him. Drouin was okay but Suzuki was the worst choice. Dhe didnt had a good game, you put him third player. with a ton of pressure, he was boooh. He just crack and i understand it. A guy like Domi would more appropriate to me
I'd have had Suzuki go first, if anything. It makes a bit of sense using a rookie because you hope the goalie hasn't seen them play and can't anticipate what they might try out.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
what did he do to play a " really good game" ? not suck as much as he used to ? and you are wrong the post I referenced said he played a "GREAT" game which is nonsense. this guy lives of off his legacy in junior and people who will NEVER critically evaluate his play. anything better than last year is suddenly " great". There are BIG steps between average, good and great and he hasn't taken ANY of them yet.

last night wrt to other third line wingers in the league, it was average. but the enablers never use that as the bar, they use his abysmal play last year and anything above that gets elevated. so the idea is to set the bar so low that he would likely get run out of the NHL on any other team and anything other than that is deemed a success.
I don't know, man... this sounds like just another manifestation of your dislike for Drouin.

The bottom line for me was that Drouin was noticeable -- in a good way -- relative to most of our forwards. If a fan was watching the game without knowing the players, my guess is that #92 would've impressed them. We're just talking about one game -- no reason to extrapolate too much, or too little, from it.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Price deserves a chance.

Nah, but Drouin, Kotkaniemi, and whoever played a great game and had confidence.

Thats how I’d pick players aswell, sometimes a guy is just in the zone, think Eller during his 4 goal game, there was no way in hell he wasnt going to score on that penalty shot. I know Byron has a good shootout record but his attempt was beyond sad.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Uh-oh... Clod is going to apporter certains correctifs. Poor Fleary.

"
Dur pour Fleury en troisième
Sans montrer du doigt qui que ce soit, Julien a reconnu que certains défenseurs, dont principalement Cale Fleury, avaient connu une dernière portion de rencontre difficile, surtout en troisième période, alors que l’adversaire s’est amusé à défier le gardien Carey Price en le bombardant de 19 tirs contre seulement 7.
« Face à cette pression constante, ils ont été plus vulnérables, a dit Julien. Il faudra apporter certains correctifs. "

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
The bottom line for me was that Drouin was noticeable -- in a good way -- relative to most of our forwards. If a fan was watching the game without knowing the players, my guess is that #92 would've impressed them. We're just talking about one game -- no reason to extrapolate too much, or too little, from it.

Agreed, I’m Not a Drouin fan, but he had a good game, even the biggest haters should be able to admit that, if he could bring that level of play game in game out, we’d have a nice player on our hands.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#03/10/19(CH3-4CANES -OT)

Tatar(1G)/Danault/Gallagher
Lehkonen(1A)/Domi/Suzuki
Drouin(1A)/Kotkaniemi(1G)/Armia
Byron(1A)/Thompson(1A)/Weal(1G)
Mete/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Kulak/Fleury
Price(40/43 = .930)

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Byron was legit to me but i didnt understand why he was just hell slow. You have to start quick and fast and slow down, not the opposite. He shot on him. Drouin was okay but Suzuki was the worst choice. Dhe didnt had a good game, you put him third player. with a ton of pressure, he was boooh by the crowd. He just crack and i understand it. A guy like Domi would more appropriate to me
Yeah the Byron attempt was brutal. Use your weapon...speed. Domi might have been a better choice than Suzuki. Lot of pressure to put on the kid in his first game. Poehling did it but we were already out at that point so no risk and he had already had a dominating game. Every point is important when you’re going to be battling for a playoff spot and Carolina could end up being a team we fight for wildcard spot with.

Reactions: Hins77

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Accurate! We already know we can't address these holes through UFA/RFA offer sheets. So it's either trades or drafting. Can the prospects rise faster than expected? :dunno:

if they let the prospects fill in, they could go:
domi - suzuki - caufield
or
domi - poehling - suzuki

this could be done later this year or next.

in they back, they'll have to wait a while longer for guys like Romanov, Norlinder and Stuble.

the latter seems a little less compatible with the Price / Weber window, making LD the higher priority.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I don't know, man... this sounds like just another manifestation of your dislike for Drouin.

So noticeable means great now?
When drouin stickhandles INTO traffic that is noticeable as well.

Perhaps I HAVE been too hard on the roundabout and that today is semi opposite day where ok is the new great.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So noticeable means great now?
When drouin stickhandles INTO traffic that is noticeable as well.

Perhaps I HAVE been too hard on the roundabout and that today is semi opposite day where ok is the new great.
Is there a point in parsing the difference between "Great", "Very good", "Noticeable" and "Very strong"? Nobody's applying any of those adjectives to Drouin's season to come; we're just describing one individual game. Last night was a small morsel of hope, nothing more and nothing less.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Honestly I see absolutely no reason to not run these ES lines

Tatar-Domi-Suzuki
Lekhonen-Danault-Armia
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Byron-Poehling-Weal
I agree. I have no problem to put Danault against best line, but To me, this kind of line is a third. So gallagher have to play on another line. Same for Tatar. I like those teo finnish with Danault.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Actually like those lines a LOT. I wish KK gets more ice time, it's pathetic (no PP is mindblowing).

Yeah... I dont get it... Weal??? Weal has 10 points on the PP in 200 games.... Kotkaniemi has 5 in 80. Dont take a mathematician to understand which one has the better ratio.. .

I agree. I have no problem to put Danault against best line, but To me, this kind of line is a third. So gallagher have to play on another line. Same for Tatar. I like those teo finnish with Danault.

Its going back to a classic NHL style, you have to do this if you dont have a one C that can play matchup. The Habs 1C is Domi right now, may be Kotkaniemi in a few years, none of the two can play matchup right now and Danault certainly isnt good enough to play match-up.

Its a simple equation really, your line pairing need to come out on top if you want to win, Danault does not come out on top against top lane, but evens out more or less, let him even out with Armia and Lekhonen and use the other two line to win matchups heavily.

Reactions: philipsson

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Actually like those lines a LOT. I wish KK gets more ice time, it's pathetic (no PP is mindblowing).

:rolleyes:

Who was KK matched against?
What happens if KK is not on the ice... Aho is not on the ice.
"chill out" it's only game1. Season is long.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I agree. I mean, KK have some weakness but one of his strenghness is how he can find a pass lane quickly. On PP thats crucial with a player in less. I don’t know what Claude is thinking honestly. Add a responsability on PP to KK could just be helpful for his improvement

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I agree. I mean, KK have some weakness but one of his strenghness is how he can find a pass lane quickly. On PP thats crucial with a player in less. I don’t know what Claude is thinking honestly. Add a responsability on PP to KK could just be helpful for his improvement

I know some will call me down on this, but from what is known, Bergevin is a pretty big control freak, so I wouldn't be surprised that Clod was asked to keep reigns over KK's offensive production until his next contract, which also serves to make the player a better person and has to 'earn' his PP time.

I might be off, but weirder things have happened.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
:rolleyes:

Who was KK matched against?
What happens if KK is not on the ice... Aho is not on the ice.
"chill out" it's only game1. Season is long.

What ?? Do you mean Aho was matchup up against KK so he played less because KK played less???? Because Aho played a whole 10 minutes more than Kotkaniemi

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know some will call me down on this, but from what is known, Bergevin is a pretty big control freak, so I wouldn't be surprised that Clod was asked to keep reigns over KK's offensive production until his next contract, which also serves to make the player a better person and has to 'earn' his PP time.

I might be off, but weirder things have happened.
How does that make sense :laugh:? Playing another player instead means hes going to produce more... so you pay the other one more.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How does that make sense :laugh:? Playing another player instead means hes going to produce more... so you pay the other one more.

You're already paying the other more, and the other guy doesn't have the same ceiling either.

Example, if Drouin scores more on the pp, his salary won't go up as much as KK's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad