Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the A-Hos in shootout

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He hit the post in OT no? Great shift near end of third Cycling with Armia. Plus his shift where he showed a goal scorers patience on his goal. That must be close to 1/3 of his ice time right there. I give him a B+

Fleury and Weal were the two that took me by surprise the most. Great games by them.

I didn't say he was bad, just that there wasn't much to his game. Yes, he showed great patience on his goal, that said, he should have never scored either. But hey, that's not his fault. Good job.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And the Canes did it playing 3 players short.
I’m genuinely confused by this post. Or is there sarcasm/ a joke behind it that I don’t have the background on?

Sloppy game, which is expected as it’s the first game, but a fun game to watch. Habs played hard last year and looks like they will be tough again this year.

I really liked your Fleury. A Habs fan told me this summer that he was better than Haydn and I told him to pump the brakes until he’s in the NHL, and while this is only one game, if it is indicative of his overall play, I’d have to agree. Price is still incredible.

I like the coaches decision to put Suzuki in the shootout. Even if he didn’t score, it’s a “we believe in you kid” message which builds confidence long term.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and Lshap

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I disagree with that, they were matched up against Ahos line most of the night and more than kept up. He also cycled the puck well and made some room for himself down-low a few times. Sure he didn’t look like a superstar out there but he looked good to me for being matched up to that line.
Meh...I didn't see much. In no way is that meant to be a knock on him.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm guessing it was unintentional, there are a lot of distractions on a bench. But, it does leave an impression.
Well, I'm assuming KK is not a jerk and that there was no reason for him to do that. :laugh:

Giving KK the benefit of the doubt, whatever shred of it there might still be after watching that. :sarcasm:

Because he was looking at Drouin's face while Drouin's left hand was at waist height. Meanwhile KK's right hand was holding his hockey stick around chest height. It's pretty obvious that KK didn't see Drouin's hand. He thought the tap on the pad was an indication to slide down the bench, which he proceeded to do.

KK was getting a new skate blade. The trainer got his attention, leaving JD hanging. KK stood to have the blade put on (not to slide down bench).

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The Habs did very well last.
Individually, Petry is becoming quite the defenceman. He’s doing a lot out there; skating with the puck, providing offense and getting back very quickly.

Drouin had one hell of a game too, very involved. KK was ready for the game too.

No negative really, I know the Habs aren’t mature yet as a contender so the entertainment value was top notch.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The 3rd line was excellent.

The top 2 lines were okay, but a little out of sync. Passing wasn't great. They just couldn't connect on plays that had potential.

Weal goal was terrific.

No more Byron in shootouts.

Not sure why Domi shot the puck from distance in the OT with the Canes player broke his stick. To not get a scoring chance there. :nono:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Habs did very well last.
Individually, Petry is becoming quite the defenceman. He’s doing a lot out there; skating with the puck, providing offense and getting back very quickly.

Drouin had one hell of a game too, very involved. KK was ready for the game too.

No negative really, I know the Habs aren’t mature yet as a contender so the entertainment value was top notch.
Yeah, basically this. Two high-energy periods followed by a really fun OT.

Personal note: Watched the game at a local restaurant bar and bumped into a few guys I knew. The male-bonding thing added to the experience. I'm thinking of making some actual friends and doing this again.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Personal note: Watched the game at a local restaurant bar and bumped into a few guys I knew. The male-bonding thing added to the experience. I'm thinking of making some actual friends and doing this again.
Went to a bar too and people didn’t seem to be really excited to begin with but that game just blew everyone away, at the end the tension was palpable throughout the place. Very fun atmosphere.

I was worried the Habs would regress to a defensive shell this season but they did the opposite and basically kept on trucking from last year’s pace.

Reactions: Lshap

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I thought Kulak played it well. He was alone with two guys in front of Price, he boxed out one while trying to tie up the other, the Canes player (Wallmark) took a whack at the puck with Kulak on him and it weeverynt in. Nine times outta ten the player will fan on the shot or it'll bounce away.
Everything was fine till you said kulAk was "on him" . If he was we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hallmark got a really good look deep in while kulAk just stood there.

He can't or won't clear anyone front of the net rather referring to attemp risky "keep away" and hope price is as good as he is.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Byron was 9/16 in shootout attempts which over the last 5 years would be the 3rd highest % for anyone who's had over 15 attempts in the league. His attempt sucked last night, but picking him was the right decision.

Given Suzuki had a meh game, the only change I would've rather had would've been Weal over Suzuki.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
i agree with comments on Petry. I much rather him than Weber. Weber looks like an ancient turtle out there. And Mete... I just dont know. The 2 don't work for me.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If Drouin plays like this for 80% of the season, he won't have the fans or media on his back.

He played like a guy that has something to prove.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If Drouin plays like this for 80% of the season, he won't have the fans or media on his back.

its one game. he's had good games in the past followed by ones that were awful. If the best you can say about him is that " he didnt suck as much as last season", its an improvement but its not something to crow about.

he was ok last night, we didnt acquire him to be ok

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
its one game. he's had good games in the past followed by ones that were awful. If the best you can say about him is that " he didnt suck as much as last season", its an improvement but its not something to crow about.

he was ok last night, we didnt acquire him to be ok

Baby steps!

With the way he played in preseason, it was concerning but he had a lot of jump last night so I gotta give him that before people say that we bash Drouin for no reason.

Let's see if he can continue but like I said, it feels like he wanted to prove something to the media. Let's hope he keeps the same motivation for most season.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

He does have something to prove.......that he is not way over paid. Third year trying "to prove" that.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The forwards tends to not cooperate on defending. The one on one at the boards wasn’t clear...

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
the yin to kulak's ( and mete's) yang

Mete is a guy that looked really good the first time he stepped onto the ice as a rookie but his game has quickly eroded. I think he would have benefitted from time in the AHL to learn how to be a QB on defense but that ship has sailed. We completely suck at making the right decisions to develop players to reach their full potential.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
That was a very enjoyable, early season game to watch. Don't know what to make of this team really.

Petry: it would be tough if the Habs lost him. He drives the play so much.
Weber: looked slow or slower - but probably not slowest yet.
Price: looked pretty sharp for him for the beginning of the year.
Drouin: he definitely had hops.
Domi: was being Domi
Gallagher: was being Gallagher
Suzuki: was mixed about him but he made some good decisions. I'll give the kid another chance. LOL
KK: my favorite forward. Just like the shitty grin combined with the talent.
More impressed with the group of forwards than the group of D.

Still don't like the GM.

Could be a fun season. Possibly. Maybe. Perhaps. Or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad