Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the A-Hos in shootout

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Is there a point in parsing the difference between "Great", "Very good", "Noticeable" and "Very strong"? Nobody's applying any of those adjectives to Drouin's season to come; we're just describing one individual game. Last night was a small morsel of hope, nothing more and nothing less.
yes, being good means you meet the minimum requirements ( like drouin last night) being very good to great means you exceed them, which he didnt.

in your world, carey price is a good goalie ?

and if you want to apply it to the one game this season, if re played really good, please tell me what this is based upon. because last time I asked it was that he was "noticeable" which, beleive it or not, is nowhere to be found on the transition from average to great.

if he played so well last night, it should be easy to point out one of two things he did well, other than be noticeable ( which isnt a salient metric).

foer example Carey price was VERY good last night, that push to the right ( that hit the outside of the net) he left the shooter no choice. when the puck was behind him and he layed the paddle down near the goal line that was a really good save.

I get it, people WANT drouin to succeed. you dont acheive this success by lowering the bar.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Uh-oh... Clod is going to apporter certains correctifs. Poor Fleary.

"
Dur pour Fleury en troisième
Sans montrer du doigt qui que ce soit, Julien a reconnu que certains défenseurs, dont principalement Cale Fleury, avaient connu une dernière portion de rencontre difficile, surtout en troisième période, alors que l’adversaire s’est amusé à défier le gardien Carey Price en le bombardant de 19 tirs contre seulement 7.
« Face à cette pression constante, ils ont été plus vulnérables, a dit Julien. Il faudra apporter certains correctifs. "

He never mentioned fleury that's the reporter wrongly thinking it's fleury. Weber and Mete were much worse than him tonight.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
yes, being good means you meet the minimum requirements ( like drouin last night) being very good to great means you exceed them, which he didnt.

and if you want to apply it to the one game this season, if re played really good, please tell me what this is based upon. because last time I asked it was that he was "noticeable" which, beleive it or not, is nowhere to be found on the transition from average to great.

if he played so well last night, it should be easy to point out one of two things he did well, other than be noticeable ( which isnt a salient metric).

foer example Carey price was VERY good last night, that push to the right ( that hit the outside of the net) he left the shooter no choice. when the puck was behind him and he layed the paddle down near the goal line that was a really good save.

I get it, people WANT drouin to succeed. you dont acheive this success by lowering the bar.
Drouin did play well last night. He literally made Kotkaniemi's goal happen by two good backchecks, one in his own end and one in the O zone, getting the puck back when his original pass didn't work out. Nice move into the zone there as well to create the chance. There's literally a whole video breakdown of his game on The Athletic that demonstrates this.

You think, by looking around in here, people are looking for excuses to talk up Drouin? People wanted him traded after the preseason. No one here is dying to defend the guy after the last two years of his disappearing act. If a guy plays well, whether you like him or not, it's not going to kill you to admit it.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I was impressed with what I saw from Drouin, he had more to prove than the others. Is it what we can expect long term? I don't know, I would like it to be. He has to know that the young guys are hungry, he has to feel the pressure and not just from the media, he has to feel it from the team.

He has the ability to do things that a guy like Gallagher could never dream of, his heart has to be in it, he has to want it. Everyone here knows how much I have disliked the player so I won't be a hypocrite and jump on the bandwagon, I want to see more. A Maturing KK and Drouin can be special, heck, I would like to see Poehling on that line, even as a winger. Baby steps.

Reactions: azcanuck

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Danault gonna be asking for 6ms+ while hes a 3C, doesnt seem to phase him.

Didnt seem to phase him to pay waiverwire Byron 4 millions either.

It's as if I never specified that their ceilings are much lower.

If KK hits 60 points in a season in his ELC, you're looking at signing a 21 years old at north of 7 mil per.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's as if I never specified that their ceilings are much lower.

If KK hits 60 points in a season in his ELC, you're looking at signing a 21 years old at north of 7 mil per.
How bout signing Danault to a 7m contract himself ? Look at his ES stats and his selke finish, if hed want, hed be in the ballpark.

Id much rather pay a guy like KK who actuallys has the ability to be a 10%+ cap player than pay Danault those numbers, who should be paid like 5% max.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How bout signing Danault to a 7m contract himself ? Look at his ES stats and his selke finish, if hed want, hed be in the ballpark.

Id much rather pay a guy like KK who actuallys has the ability to be a 10%+ cap player than pay Danault those numbers, who should be paid like 5% max.

Yes, you, but you is not Bergevin.

Take a second and imagine their weariness at paying bank to a 21 yold after what happened to Drouin.

Both Danault and Byron are established, they're gonna get paid no matter what. Byron has already hit bank, sorta speak, and Dano isnt the guy you rely on to get PP points either.

Find me a better explanation as to why KK gets so little PP time when we're supposedly developing his game?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Take a second and imagine their weariness at paying bank to a 21 yold after what happened to Drouin.

Both Danault and Byron are established, they're gonna get paid no matter what. Byron has already hit bank, sorta speak, and Dano isnt the guy you rely on to get PP points either.

Find me a better explanation as to why KK gets so little PP time when we're supposedly developing his game?

Because Julien genuinely thinks he has a better chance to win with Thompson as his 2C. Its not the first time hes shown something as stupid as this, hes a known offender.

I think you actually attribute too much brain power to Bergevin, think hes smart enough to plan ahead like that ? Three years ahead ? No way. Why would he play Suzuki in the top 6 then? Why did he bring up Kotkaniemi last year? If he lets him simmer he has 3 free years of Kotkaniemi in his prime (at 3.5 ELC cap hit.)

Really, much like Ad Astra, youre seeing too far into this :sarcasm:

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So leafs tomorrow, eh? Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kapanen, that swedish guy with a funny helmet, Muzzin,... I don't know... I don't like Habs' chances. Maybe they will do better that in pre-season and score a goal?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
what did he do to play a " really good game" ? not suck as much as he used to ? and you are wrong the post I referenced said he played a "GREAT" game which is nonsense. this guy lives of off his legacy in junior and people who will NEVER critically evaluate his play. anything better than last year is suddenly " great". There are BIG steps between average, good and great and he hasn't taken ANY of them yet.

last night wrt to other third line wingers in the league, it was average. but the enablers never use that as the bar, they use his abysmal play last year and anything above that gets elevated. so the idea is to set the bar so low that he would likely get run out of the NHL on any other team and anything other than that is deemed a success.
By the same token i would suspect if Drouin actually does well this year he will stay a whipping boy. Some in this crowd once they get their teeth on a player/coach /GM will never let go. Some weird psychological attribute.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
By the same token i would suspect if Drouin actually does well this year he will stay a whipping boy. Some in this crowd once they get their teeth on a player/coach /GM will never let go. Some weird psychological attribute.

I am more than willing to admit it when he does well. but the standard for well is NOT better than the craptastic he has been since he has been a hab.
and to be honest, I don't think he will be here long enough not be the whipping boy. if we can pump and dump him, my guess is we will.

and lets not pretend that the moniker of whipping boy was hung around his neck for no good reason. You play like he did, he deserves what he has got ( and more)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Because Julien genuinely thinks he has a better chance to win with Thompson as his 2C. Its not the first time hes shown something as stupid as this, hes a known offender.

I think you actually attribute too much brain power to Bergevin, think hes smart enough to plan ahead like that ? Three years ahead ? No way. Why would he play Suzuki in the top 6 then? Why did he bring up Kotkaniemi last year? If he lets him simmer he has 3 free years of Kotkaniemi in his prime (at 3.5 ELC cap hit.)

Really, much like Ad Astra, youre seeing too far into this :sarcasm:

What does that have to do with anything I said? We were discussing PP usage.

Maybe pay more attention, maybe you'll get Ad Astra's point.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I am more than willing to admit it when he does well. but the standard for well is NOT better than the craptastic he has been since he has been a hab.
and to be honest, I don't think he will be here long enough not be the whipping boy. if we can pump and dump him, my guess is we will.

and lets not pretend that the moniker of whipping boy was hung around his neck for no good reason. You play like he did, he deserves what he has got ( and more)
Either you're being dishonest because you hate the guy or you didnt watch the game.

he played very well last night. In both ends of the ice. I would not say "great" because a great night means more then a plus one and one point.

But he did more then just exceed the "minimum requirement (whatever that means)".

give him some credit. For perspective it's just one game. But opening night after his disaster in the second half last season is a good start. Nothing more.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Da team will get to the next level once Clode rides off into the sunset and DD takes the helm. I actually believe that he took the job as assistant because he was promised the head coaching job. He is great wit da youts. This post was inspired by gluten-free Stolichnaya lol.

Megaforce

Hopefully I can visit the board more often this year, as I largely abandoned it last year because so many of the character assassins spinning their wheels trying to deny Drouin's contributions.

Drouin played like Drouin last night. He's a good player. Period.

He had a cold spell at the end of last season due to some sorta undisclosed injury. It was clear from watching that he had difficulty pushing off on the first steps. I'm surprised that so few noticed this.

Reactions: Demon Wolf

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Something to watch for is the Mete/Weber pairing. They were brutal last night. The canes had 8 of their 16 high scoring chances against the pair last night and the Habs controlled just 30 percent of the shots while they were on the ice.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Either you're being dishonest because you hate the guy or you didnt watch the game.

he played very well last night. In both ends of the ice. I would not say "great" because a great night means more then a plus one and one point.

But he did more then just exceed the "minimum requirement (whatever that means)".

give him some credit. For perspective it's just one game. But opening night after his disaster in the second half last season is a good start. Nothing more.

right there is the problem, the comparitive standard. it should be against 3rd line NHL wingers, it shouldnt be against the dumpster fire that has been his tenure as a hab. Because if it is you are loweing the bar to say that anything above it is acceptable.

if you want to say he played BETTER than last season, fine by me. I agree with this. but if you want to say that he played good, then he would have have to have played better than 51% of NHL 3'rd line wingers. I watched EVERY SECOND of the game last night, I am not convinced he made the cut. He was somewhere between not bad and not good,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad