Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Leafs, play against Jets tomorrow

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Give Drou-Drou a chance...he’s still young.
He's like MB, he just needs more time..............the phony media in Montreal will write articles about how hard it is, being french, and trying to play for the habs, blah blah blah.....................if there was an effort, using his brain no one would have any issues..............just awful to see him getting so much TOI and PP chances to produce nothing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When Matthews, Tavares, Marner or Nylander have the puck.. you have that fear that something could happen.

Who do you think people fear on our team when they have the puck? Maybe Weber hitting them with his erratic shot?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Good second period...not much other than that.

There must be someone that can replace Mete right? He can't be the only option.

And Drouin...posted this before but I'll post it again. Perfectly describes people playing with him

283960.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This lineup is way too slow. C'est l'évidence.

The back end is an issue, but the forwards can't can't follow the pace.

Problem is Anderson type size doesn’t always come with speed, so you have to tread carefully. Roster construction is both an art and a science.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, didn't watch the first period, but Montreal absolutely dominated the second.

We had our chances to go up, but we miss the net way too often. We need Caufield to succeed. Byron had some terrific opportunities and missed the net each time. If that's Caufield he's at minimum forcing the goalie to make a save and creating a rebound creating chaos in front of Campbell.

Staal looks to be a not so great pickup. Too slow. He's even slower than Perry. I've seen enough to know he can't play center. He allowed too many odd man rushes just from being too slow to get back. He needs to be moved to wing like Thornton. I doubt it'll happen.

Thought KK played fine on wing. He was moved back & forth actually. He really needs to work on his release. He had an open net he should have scored on. He's becoming so strong on faceoffs though. He actually beat Spezza a few times - and Spezza is one of the top faceoff guys in NHL.

The Danault & Suzuki lines were the ones that dominated in the 2nd or could get setup in the 3rd.

Perry & Anderson are really good together. Anderson's willingness to drive the net really opens up space behind him, and Perry still knows what to do with time & space.

Kulak was terrible in this game like really bad. Didn't help that he kept falling. I'm guessing the ice was really bad, because it seemed a lot of players were falling all over the place -- even Leafs.

The D in 3rd was terrible, but the forwards were no help either except Danault line.

3rd & 4th line are kind of useless right now.

Toffoli needs someone better than Staal as his center. He doesn't connect with either Drouin or Staal at all.

I'd move KK back to center:

Perry -- KK -- Anderson
Tatar -- Danault -- Toffoli
Drouin -- Suzuki -- Staal
Lehkonen -- Evans -- Byron

I think it's time, we give the reigns to KK. He'd also create a forechecking nightmare of a line with the 2 bigs.

Finally, Allen was awesome!

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
When Matthews, Tavares, Marner or Nylander have the puck.. you have that fear that something could happen.

Who do you think people fear on our team when they have the puck? Maybe Weber hitting them with his erratic shot?
Weber is pathetically bad right now and I'm not sure he'll ever recover, can't handle the puck behind the net anymore,his giveaways are becoming more frequent,his shot has become irrelevant and after being manhandled by Sergachev and Tkachuk no one fears him anymore.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Weber is pathetically bad right now and I'm not sure he'll ever recover, can't handle the puck behind the net anymore,his giveaways are becoming more frequent,his shot has become irrelevant and after being manhandled by Sergachev and Tkachuk no one fears him anymore.

This was foreseeable by everyone but the men responsible for the team.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The Habs just looked one step behind all night. Most of the time they were second on the puck, and when they did somehow get the puck, the Leafs players were so fast on top of them that they panicked and made stupid decisions.

Anyways, if last night's performance is any indication, we're still far away from a top tier team (which we already knew)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
This was foreseeable by everyone but the men responsible for the team.

Nobody in the team wants to admit Weber is done as a #1 D. Not even the first person who should have realized it: Weber.

MB apparently told a journalist a few years back that you should wear armor to tell Weber he can't play (because of a minor injury). The issue seems to be Weber's ego. MB wanted character, well he got character: players who don't want to admit they can't do things anymore and force the team to play them otherwise things will go bad in the room...

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I don't buy that. If they were really unhappy with him, would he continue to get first wave PP time, would he continuously get the best possible linemates that try to get him going? Ever see him when he doesn't have the puck? LOL. Instead of sitting him, we sit Lehkonen, we put Paul B on waivers, we take the center spot away from Kotkaniemi all while JD gets a free pass. He is flat-out awful as an NHL player, a Swiss league star but not a good NHL player.

Yep, that is it.
Just as David D before Dru-Dru, language politics in the habs kill them. (don't forget Philly D)
Be it selecting GM, coach and a fetish for undersized forwards born in KEY-BEC and must speak French etc.

I mean ,I used to SHIT alot of DD because he was being favored, but at least at times he seemed to be earning his spot playing with Cole and Patches. Problem as he would suck and still get favored.
With Dru-Dru (and phil to an extent) they play brutal nearly all the time and no demotions... nothing but crickets.

At no time since we've acquired JD has it appeared that "Hey maybe this guy could be good" WE were sold on "OMG LOOK WHAT HE DID ON TAMPA IN THAT ONE PO" and he's never done anything near that here.

Hes a dud. Calling a spade a spade. JD is a bust and we lost this trade. He was bought in to improve the offense and does not do that very well.

On another note:

This stupid organization frustrates the shit outta me because of the BS about language being so ingrained in the team that it comes at the sacrifice of a winning culture.

I think about it ALOT because of this ridiculousness, Like if bergie gets extended ,statue quo with better hotdogs and we hire another (NOT THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB) in favor of language I may walk from this org.

I'm just a frustrated fan whos tired of this BS.
Tired of favoritism ,Tired of Language Politics influencing the team. Tired of Dumb GM who should have been fired years ago.
At some point, either the habs change and I have hope or I start flirting with other teams. :dainty:

end rant.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
In the last 20 games Drouin has been on the ice for 20 goals against at even-strenght.
For perspective:

- Perry 4 goals
- Tatar 6 goals
- KK, Anderson 12 goals
- Danault 5 goals
- Byron 3 goals
- Evans 1 goal

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Leaf fan: I come in peace .. to answer your question Anderson and Tifolli, Cole (when he makes the team)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The Habs just looked one step behind all night. Most of the time they were second on the puck, and when they did somehow get the puck, the Leafs players were so fast on top of them that they panicked and made stupid decisions.

Anyways, if last night's performance is any indication, we're still far away from a top tier team (which we already knew)

You guys easily won the 2nd period, dominant hockey. You had something like 17 SOG in the 2nd.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And that now he’s magically realized it’s a place you should try to take the puck to.

But, he didn’t know he had to « bear down » more to get there. He had never seen evidence of that until Scorey became his teammate. The stuff of legends.

Reactions: FloJack

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
This lineup is way too slow. C'est l'évidence.

The back end is an issue, but the forwards can't can't follow the pace.
Perhaps, but ... ‘fast’ cost us the game last night. Mete and Drouin.

I’d fix the ‘stupid’ problem before fixing the ‘slow’ problem.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad