Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Leafs, play against Jets tomorrow

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
At some point recently during a game they said our PP was at 30 percent since Burrows took over. Much better than the past.

It has dropped to 21% now. It was high after the coach change because KK's wave 2 scored like once per game in the first 10ish games. But since, the coaches started to give more minutes to wave 1 with Weber on it and they only managed 4 goals...

Last edited:
Reactions: azcanuck

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Well, didn't watch the first period, but Montreal absolutely dominated the second.

We had our chances to go up, but we miss the net way too often. We need Caufield to succeed. Byron had some terrific opportunities and missed the net each time. If that's Caufield he's at minimum forcing the goalie to make a save and creating a rebound creating chaos in front of Campbell.

Staal looks to be a not so great pickup. Too slow. He's even slower than Perry. I've seen enough to know he can't play center. He allowed too many odd man rushes just from being too slow to get back. He needs to be moved to wing like Thornton. I doubt it'll happen.

Thought KK played fine on wing. He was moved back & forth actually. He really needs to work on his release. He had an open net he should have scored on. He's becoming so strong on faceoffs though. He actually beat Spezza a few times - and Spezza is one of the top faceoff guys in NHL.

The Danault & Suzuki lines were the ones that dominated in the 2nd or could get setup in the 3rd.

Perry & Anderson are really good together. Anderson's willingness to drive the net really opens up space behind him, and Perry still knows what to do with time & space.

Kulak was terrible in this game like really bad. Didn't help that he kept falling. I'm guessing the ice was really bad, because it seemed a lot of players were falling all over the place -- even Leafs.

The D in 3rd was terrible, but the forwards were no help either except Danault line.

3rd & 4th line are kind of useless right now.

Toffoli needs someone better than Staal as his center. He doesn't connect with either Drouin or Staal at all.

I'd move KK back to center:

Perry -- KK -- Anderson
Tatar -- Danault -- Toffoli
Drouin -- Suzuki -- Staal
Lehkonen -- Evans -- Byron

I think it's time, we give the reigns to KK. He'd also create a forechecking nightmare of a line with the 2 bigs.

Finally, Allen was awesome!
Wow, finally someone who watched the same game I did. The kid was good last night. He won puck battles, threw hits and blocked shots.

Now, onto Suzuki who has been a complete disaster afaic.

When is the last time he threw a hit? Or won a puck battle? Or even had a good night in the face-off circle? He's one of the weakest players I've ever seen on the puck and he looks slower than Staal, Weber and Perry. The kid plays more scared than Nylander ffs.

I'm tired of that puck between his legs move that may have worked once in peewee. You need a bit of speed to pull that off and he doesn't have any. If he has a nagging injury and that's why he's been this bad ok, I can accept that. If he's healthy and playing like this, I hope it's the sophomore jinx our else "Houston we have a problem".

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Wow, finally someone who watched the same game I did. The kid was good last night. He won puck battles, threw hits and blocked shots.

When is the last time he threw a hit? Or won a puck battle? Or even had a good night in the face-off circle? He's one of the weakest players I've ever seen on the puck and he looks slower than Staal, Weber and Perry. The kid plays more scared than Nylander ffs.

I'm tired of that puck between his legs move that may have worked once in peewee. You need a bit of speed to pull that off and he doesn't have any. If he has a nagging injury and that's why he's been this bad ok, I can accept that. If he's healthy and playing like this, I hope it's the sophomore jinx our else "Houston we have a problem".

There are people on here who just watch for every mistake and fall he makes, but everyone makes mistakes. His aren't egregious at all.

He was actually one of our better players last night.

He played a 2 on 2 perfectly when he had to play D on the PP, and hung back as last man back when it was needed. He won board battles, cycled well, and steals pucks all the time without taking penalties.

He's generally good at managing the puck and making good decisions with it. He still has the odd mix up on switches as a center on D, but as a winger that's not an issue. Plus, that is really fixable.

He needs to improve his shooting skills quite a bit.

The Danault line was our best line. KK actually got some time at center with Danault at wing whenever there was a face-off on his strong side. He's become so dominant that he's now better than Danault.

I can actually see him become a ROR/Bergeron type center if he keeps improving like this over Suzuki.

I like how he's developing.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Drouin is what he is at this point which is a badly lost trade for MB.
It's hard to find a trade he did win that can overcome the damage he created with this one trade and Yes I'm including the Max Patch deal. Vegas got what they wanted in that one.

Reactions: sheed36

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007

Suziki is just not as good as a lot of dudes here profess

Reactions: Habano

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That recovery can’t be viewed in isolation, Habs don’t face Buf, or Det, or Ana - there are much wider swings between good and bad teams in the other divisions vs North. Also this division has 3 of the top-5 elite PPs in the entire league

So what you are really saying is the PK in our division is horrid? :huh:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The second wave scored 6 goals and the first wave 4, one of those being a Weber pingpong goal and two being Suzuki just scoring on talent alone. This wave has been terrible.

The PP GF/60 of the 2nd wave
Gallagher 13.01
Petry 12.54
Perry 12.33
Tatar 11.11
KK 10.49

The PP GF/60 of the first wave
Toffoli 7.72
Anderson 7.69
Weber 7.62
Suzuki 7.59
Drouin 6.34

The second wave combined for 28 shots in 32 minutes with a shooting of 21%
The first wave for 33 shots in 39 minutes with a shooting of 12%

Its insane that the first wave still gets played so much.

The Kotkaniemi/Petry also does a much better job of getting set-up in the offensive zone, either off the face-off or by entering the zone. They really should be the first unit out the majority of the time.

Reactions: dinodebino

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Suziki is just not as good as a lot of dudes here profess

I've been reading some analyst's comment about last game this morning and I think what he saws in the Leafs game applies to a lots of games Suzuki played after the first 10 (when he was good), although made not as bad.

What he saw: Leafs lines tried to force Suzuki to extend his shifts, tiring him out. I've been looking at shifts since the seasons started and it's been like 20 games that the Suzuki's line always has longer shifts than the rest of the team. In the last game, Suzuki had 19 shifts for 19:36 TOI. His avg shift length was 1 minute. Just crazy.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

For the Bolded, I don't know what's wrong with him but these use to be some of his good attributes. He wasn't a physical player, but was hard to knock off the puck. For the past 20 games it seems like he's out of shape... let's hope it's the typical 2nd year slope.

Reactions: Habano

Habano

May 18, 2012
There are people on here who just watch for every mistake and fall he makes, but everyone makes mistakes. His aren't egregious at all.

He was actually one of our better players last night.

He played a 2 on 2 perfectly when he had to play D on the PP, and hung back as last man back when it was needed. He won board battles, cycled well, and steals pucks all the time without taking penalties.

He's generally good at managing the puck and making good decisions with it. He still has the odd mix up on switches as a center on D, but as a winger that's not an issue. Plus, that is really fixable.

He needs to improve his shooting skills quite a bit.

The Danault line was our best line. KK actually got some time at center with Danault at wing whenever there was a face-off on his strong side. He's become so dominant that he's now better than Danault.

I can actually see him become a ROR/Bergeron type center if he keeps improving like this over Suzuki.

I like how he's developing.
Agree 100%

Reactions: dinodebino

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
You've been warned Jets. Look out tomorrow night now.

if he would simply shoot on occasion ti would change lots of things. So many times gets the puck in prime shooting lane and looks for the fancy play/pass instead-SHOOT KID! he has a decent shot...use it-be selfish a bit.

Reactions: sheed36

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

terrible assessment.

leads centers in defensive zone faceoffs. 51%
4th Among forwards in hits, tied with KK.
Leads all forwards in blocked shots.

but sure, he’s scared like Nylander. :help:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
terrible assessment.

I'd take that "scared kid" over Q-Tip Head all day and twice on Sunday...slumps happen to sophomores; he'll be fine...

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habano

May 18, 2012
terrible assessment.

You don't know anything about hockey. All you like to do is disagree with people's posts. I don't respect your opinions so don't @ me. I don't debate with people who disagree with every post to make themselves look knowledgable. You have something to say, start your own post and don't reply to mine. GTFO here.
If it looks like shit and smells like shit, it is shit. That's Suzuki. :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsForHire

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It has dropped to 21% now. It was high after the coach change because KK's wave 2 scored like once per game in the first 10ish games. But since, the coaches started to give more minutes to wave 1 with Weber on it and they only managed 4 goals...
This happens because Weber looms large with this management team. Essentially, it's Weber and Price's team. Like it or not (and I don't like it, but hey, que voulez-vous?)

Reactions: Redux91 and Habano

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
Drouin. Lol. GTFO. I’ll say it one more time, If his name was Smith and not Drouin , he’d be scratched
Waste of space

If his name was Smith, and not Drouin, he never would have been the Habs' problem.

Reactions: Zorba

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
You don't know anything about hockey. All you like to do is disagree with people's posts. I don't respect your opinions so don't @ me. I don't debate with people who disagree with every post to make themselves look knowledgable. You have something to say, start your own post and don't reply to mine. GTFO here.
If it looks like shit and smells like shit, it is shit. That's Suzuki. :nod:
Sorry, didn’t know I was in your head like that. lol

just giving you the facts ... just numbers. keep ignoring them if you choose to. Ignorance is bliss, after all.

enjoy your 19 minutes of shit to tonight. Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad