Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Detroit. One team showed up ready, the others left the goalie to dry.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Horrible coaching by St.Louis he said this year is about developing then start bloody developing you idiot play Slafkovsky with Dach and Monahan and drop Hoffman down.
It’s a super unpopular opinion around the fanbase these days but I’ll never get why MSL gets treated like a profit when his coaching experience resembles someone at the peewee level and his record in the NHL is garbage. “We have to see what this player will look like after playing with MSL” will be a meme a few years from now if it’s not already. You would think the guy is Scotty Bowman reading social media.

• Wow
Reactions: the

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It’s a super unpopular opinion around the fanbase these days but I’ll never get why MSL gets treated like a profit when his coaching experience resembles someone at the peewee level and his record in the NHL is garbage. “We have to see what this player will look like after playing with MSL” will be a meme a few years from now if it’s not already. You would think the guy is Scotty Bowman reading social media.
I get it but at the same time, there are certain people on this board and in the mainstream sports media that overrated the Habs team this year saying BS like "they'll be better than people think".

No they won't. The team is absolute trash. The young players are really young and inexperienced with the exception of Suzuki. The vets are mostly over the hill or reclamation projects in the case of a Monahan. That's why I predicted a 39th place finish for the Habs. I don't care about the record. All I care about is selling expiring assets at a decent price and the development of young AND READY players. Guhle, Harris, and Caufield should be getting tons of minutes in different situations. Arber and Slaf are not READY and are better served in the AHL. Maybe MSL just wants to dip their toe in the NHL and not overwhelm them because they're not close. On the other hand Guhle, Harris, and Caufield need to be thrown into the fire. The only people who care about the record of the Habs this year are tanksters and people who don't see the forest for the trees

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I think we can put Drou-Drou in the lineup if Gallagher is awful again tonight.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think we can put Drou-Drou in the lineup if Gallagher is awful again tonight. I love MSL and think he’s doing a great job but please put Slaf with someone else.
Sure looks like Drouin will play, probably in for Pitlick:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The game is lost ... OK, but the worst of the night is Carey Price who gets $10.5M per year from the Habs to sit and do nothing, skips the Habs game and instead watches a Toronto team play basketball.
Who gives a shit. He's on LTIR and that 10.5M of space is paying for Monahan and Dach right now. Why should we care if Geoff Molson has to pay the guy who almost single handedly kept this team relevant for a decade and kept the cash cow producing for him?

I will never understand how people follow the NHL closely enough to complain about guy's cap hits but can't do the 10 seconds of research required to figure out that Price's cap hit is on LTIR so it's just cash out of the owner's pocket.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Jake Allen sits in the locker room.

*Phone ring*

Jake : Hello?
Carey : It's me Carey , have fun.
Jake : ????
Carey : Only 80 games left!
Jake : *sigh*
*End calls*

Jake : I should have asked for more money....

:laugh:
Moving on from the Bergevin Rinse and Repeat Era is not going to be easy.

Allen was great! Thought Guhlie was pretty good. The forwards, were beyond awful. Suzuki and CC had a few flashes, but it was a bad outing by almost everyone.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Moving on from the Bergevin Rinse and Repeat Era is not going to be easy.

Allen was great! Thought Guhlie was pretty good. The forwards, were beyond awful. Suzuki and CC had a few flashes, but it was a bad outing by almost everyone.
Suzuki and CC looked like a million bucks on the PP but never could get anything going at ES.

Reactions: BLONG7

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That sucks, I don’t think Pitlick was healthy scratch worthy. A few players deserve that before him. I guess he was an easy target.
He got hit really hard in the game against Detroit. Late in the 2nd period I think it was. He might have a few bruisers that needs some rest to heal.

Reactions: the

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
It’s a super unpopular opinion around the fanbase these days but I’ll never get why MSL gets treated like a profit when his coaching experience resembles someone at the peewee level and his record in the NHL is garbage.
Because what happened with Suzuki and Caufield in the second half last year is something we haven't seen from a Canadiens coach in decades. We have heard for 20 years that the players needed to learn to play within the system and you can't just let guys loose to develop their offensive games in the NHL, and then St. Louis comes in and Caufield scores at a 48 goal pace over 37 games to finish out the season getting 1st line ice time and being empowered to play aggressively.

It's fine if you're skeptical if he has the Xs and Os figured out or not (I don't think he does by any stretch of the imagination, and I wouldn't want him as our coach if we were trying to win right now) but it's bizarre to judge his coaching against a standard he isn't trying to or wasn't brought in to meet. If they wanted a guy who would implement a rigorous system and squeeze as many points out of this roster they would have hired Montgomery or another more proven coach. Instead, they hired him because the focus is on development and that's what he's working on.

His record in the NHL being garbage is also a strange thing to say. He took over a team that was 8-30-7 and went 14-19-4 for the rest of the year. Now 15-20-4 including the first two games of last year. I'm supposed to consider that record garbage when he's coaching a roster that finished 32nd place, had to give Montembeault a ton of starts, and has either a checked-out Petry or a completely fresh rookie as his #1 defenceman? No, I don't think the guy is magic or something but I really find this line of criticism bizarre. How many coaches do you think would have done better than 15-20-4 over their first 39 games with the 2021-22 and 2022-23 Canadiens?

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
That sucks, I don’t think Pitlick was healthy scratch worthy. A few players deserve that before him. I guess he was an easy target.

I agree, I have the feeling HuGo is trying to move a forward in order to be able to trade for a veteran D and as such he has to play Dadonov, Drouin, Hoffman (Armia if he had been healthy).

Reactions: cphabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The game is lost ... OK, but the worst of the night is Carey Price who gets $10.5M per year from the Habs to sit and do nothing, skips the Habs game and instead watches a Toronto team play basketball.
Hilarious..................we once had a guy on LTIR who needed to get caught up on his sleep. So we let him collect his $$$ while he did just that.
A 15 year vet like Price, on LTIR doesn't need to travel with the team................injured guys never go on a road trip.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
If Drouin is not playing due to work mentality issues, I have no idea why Hoffman is playing. On the 2nd line and 2nd pp on top of that.

Monahan and dach are making moves and space while Hoffman is gliding around. He's NEVER open for a pass and when he has the puck he just randomly throw it somewhere else hoping for a teammate. I don't get it.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
If you took the average of the Leafs and Detroit game, you see the recipe for losing games but also good development for the future.
The biggest difference is their Dmens. Teams with good and deep Dcorps will give the Habs more trouble than teams with superstar forwards.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
If Drouin is not playing due to work mentality issues, I have no idea why Hoffman is playing. On the 2nd line and 2nd pp on top of that.

Monahan and dach are making moves and space while Hoffman is gliding around. He's NEVER open for a pass and when he has the puck he just randomly throw it somewhere else hoping for a teammate. I don't get it.
Why MSL digs Hoffman so much over the other scapegoats, is that “if ever” he gets the puck in the slot, MSL thinks Hoffman has the best shot.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I agree, I have the feeling HuGo is trying to move a forward in order to be able to trade for a veteran D and as such he has to play Dadonov, Drouin, Hoffman (Armia if he had been healthy).
Maybe he should look for a veteran forward instead? None of these guys are going to provide many points the way they are playing, so why no not get a defensive forward with some grit who wouldn't be a liability?

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Maybe he should look for a veteran forward instead? None of these guys are going to provide many points the way they are playing, so why no not get a defensive forward with some grit who wouldn't be a liability?

I’m sure he would like to get rid of a bunch of deadwood but realistically 1st step is trading an overpaid forward for an overpaid veteran D with little term left.

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad