Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Detroit. One team showed up ready, the others left the goalie to dry.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Who gives a shit. He's on LTIR and that 10.5M of space is paying for Monahan and Dach right now. Why should we care if Geoff Molson has to pay the guy who almost single handedly kept this team relevant for a decade and kept the cash cow producing for him?

I will never understand how people follow the NHL closely enough to complain about guy's cap hits but can't do the 10 seconds of research required to figure out that Price's cap hit is on LTIR so it's just cash out of the owner's pocket.
Because research wouldn’t align with the all
important agenda….

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pitlick is a waste. He overperformed last year. He’s nothing but a tweener and a progress stopper. RHP can’t do worse.
Why’d they give him a 2-year deal, then?

Edit: I thought it was 3 years, I stand corrected!

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Aside from Carey Price on opening night, Gally received the second longest and loudest ovation.

I love the guy too. If I was there I would have been cheering too. Reality is, what hands he had seem to be gone. He could dominate possession, get in on the forecheck, control the puck, work a cycle, he had great hand coordination in front of net, but most of that is nonexistent now, especially the controlling the puck part.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Why’d they give him a 3-year deal, then?
Two years but I would guess Pitlick won't be re-signed in the summer of 2024. I could even see him traded at the deadline if he does decently this year or next. I don't think Hughes was confident in the health of a few guys and also probably wants depth for when we trade a few guys out. Ylonen and RHP haven't shown they're ready to make the jump permanently so Pitlick is a good filler.

Reactions: Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I get it but at the same time, there are certain people on this board and in the mainstream sports media that overrated the Habs team this year saying BS like "they'll be better than people think".

No they won't. The team is absolute trash. The young players are really young and inexperienced with the exception of Suzuki. The vets are mostly over the hill or reclamation projects in the case of a Monahan. That's why I predicted a 39th place finish for the Habs. I don't care about the record. All I care about is selling expiring assets at a decent price and the development of young AND READY players. Guhle, Harris, and Caufield should be getting tons of minutes in different situations. Arber and Slaf are not READY and are better served in the AHL. Maybe MSL just wants to dip their toe in the NHL and not overwhelm them because they're not close. On the other hand Guhle, Harris, and Caufield need to be thrown into the fire. The only people who care about the record of the Habs this year are tanksters and people who don't see the forest for the trees

There's only 32 teams.

Yeah, we're bad, but we're not should be in a different league bad. SJS, Arizona & Chicago are complete crap.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
There's only 32 teams.

Yeah, we're bad, but we're not should be in a different league bad. SJS, Arizona & Chicago are complete crap.
That's why I don't think Habs are finishing in the 30s. But while there's a huge gap between the team(s) you mentioned and the Habs, there is probably an equally massive gap between the Habs tier and even teams that will finish as low as 26, etc

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Detroit seems well built. I could see them in the #3 or wildcard spot. They are just missing a veteran forward, maybe a monahan type at the deadline for a 1st round pick. :sarcasm:
Yzerman is all for it. He finds his best players in the 6th round anyways. :laugh:

That's why I don't think Habs are finishing in the 30s. But while there's a huge gap between the team(s) you mentioned and the Habs, there is probably an equally massive gap between the Habs tier and even teams that will finish as low as 26, etc
Not at all. If teams take us lightly they will lose. If the bottom dwellers show up to play we will likely have fairly even affairs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki and CC looked like a million bucks on the PP but never could get anything going at ES.
Really I thought they were terrible. Turning pucks over and fanning on shots shouldn't be happening with these two. They had a couple of decent plays but that was it. They'll have to be far more consistent with their puck possession if we hope to improve our PP.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Not at all. If teams take us lightly they will lose. If the bottom dwellers show up to play we will likely have fairly even affairs.
Sure they will be fairly even but the Habs will most definitely get the short end of the straw on the majority of tries. Almost that first sentence can literally apply to anyone so stating it is redundant. The NHL is not the NBA. Hockey is not basketball. A Tampa Arizona game will always be more competitive than a golden State Orlando game. The good teams in other leagues almost always win especially in the playoffs. It's much more grey in the NHL for the most part. So the Habs will probably be competitive in most of their games and keep it close, but again, I expect them to lose the vast majority of those competitive games

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sure they will be fairly even but the Habs will most definitely get the short end of the straw on the majority of tries. Almost that first sentence can literally apply to anyone so stating it is redundant. The NHL is not the NBA. Hockey is not basketball. A Tampa Arizona game will always be more competitive than a golden State Orlando game. The good teams in other leagues almost always win especially in the playoffs. It's much more grey in the NHL for the most part. So the Habs will probably be competitive in most of their games and keep it close, but again, I expect them to lose the vast majority of those competitive games
You've lost me with your argument. Nothing redundant about what I said I meant League wide any team. I only pointed it out to dispute what you said in terms of a gap between us and the very worst teams. The gap isn't that great at all.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
You've lost me with your argument. Nothing redundant about what I said I meant League wide any team. I only pointed it out to dispute what you said in terms of a gap between us and the very worst teams. The gap isn't that great at all.
I said the gap between teams like Arizona and Chicago and that of Montreal, to me, is similar to that of Montreal and the teams that will finish 23-26. Does that mean Montreal is way worse than them. No, probably not. But you could say the same with Montreal not being that much better than chicago or Arizona. Habs are definitely bottom 5 in both goaltending and defence. They're probably in the 20s for forwards. But I think the probability of them getting wins is lower and that will be reflected in their final record. My first point was I don't think Habs will do as well as some of the media think. And I also think other bad teams besides a certain 3-4 will have an easier time winning competitive games

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Who gives a shit. He's on LTIR and that 10.5M of space is paying for Monahan and Dach right now. Why should we care if Geoff Molson has to pay the guy who almost single handedly kept this team relevant for a decade and kept the cash cow producing for him?

I will never understand how people follow the NHL closely enough to complain about guy's cap hits but can't do the 10 seconds of research required to figure out that Price's cap hit is on LTIR so it's just cash out of the owner's pocket.
I know he's on LTIR and that it's paid by Hab's insurance, but I can't see how some posters keep on blindly defending Price and using his past to justify it. "You are only as you are now, not as you were before." Meanwhile, Price is laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I know he's on LTIR and that it's paid by Hab's insurance, but I can't see how some posters keep on blindly defending Price and using his past to justify it.
This doesn't make sense. Using his past to justify what and defend what? That the NHL includes an LTIR mechanism for injured players to be paid out on their contracts? Nobody is "defending" his current contributions to the team because there is nothing to defend, he isn't playing and he's on LTIR all year.

You are only as good as you are now. Meanwhile, Price is laughing all the way to the bank.
Again who gives a shit. It doesn't impact our cap at all. He played over 800 NHL games and his knee finally broke down. It happens in every sport, guys get hurt and they can't play anymore. He's not hurting our cap and the Canadiens print money, why does it bother you so much that our best player for the past 15 years is getting paid out by Geoff Molson on the contract the team signed him to?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
This doesn't make sense. Using his past to justify what and defend what? That the NHL includes an LTIR mechanism for injured players to be paid out on their contracts? Nobody is "defending" his current contributions to the team because there is nothing to defend, he isn't playing and he's on LTIR all year.

Again who gives a shit. It doesn't impact our cap at all. He played over 800 NHL games and his knee finally broke down. It happens in every sport, guys get hurt and they can't play anymore. He's not hurting our cap and the Canadiens print money, why does it bother you so much that our best player for the past 15 years is getting paid out by Geoff Molson on the contract the team signed him to?

LOL ... it doesn't bother me at all, but it seems to bother you that someone put up a comment on Price who seems to be precious to you. I just find it ironic that the Habs highest paid player prefers to watch Toronto basketball versus watching his own team.

Price is 35 years old and won't be coming back. He's had four contracts worth $135M over his career, and won't be playing for the last $50.5M of them. He has been far well compensated for his efforts in the 804 NHL games he played and doesn't need to be put on a pedestal.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I know he's on LTIR and that it's paid by Hab's insurance, but I can't see how some posters keep on blindly defending Price and using his past to justify it. "You are only as you are now, not as you were before." Meanwhile, Price is laughing all the way to the bank.
That contract was negotiated in accordance w CBA rules & stipulations. There was no illegality involved - there nothing to defend

LOL ... it doesn't bother me at all, but it seems to bother you that someone put up a comment on Price who seems to be precious to you. I just find it ironic that the Habs highest paid player prefers to watch Toronto basketball versus watching his own team.

Price is 35 years old and won't be coming back. He's had four contracts worth $135M over his career, and won't be playing for the last $50.5M of them. He has been far well compensated for his efforts in the 804 NHL games he played and doesn't need to be put on a pedestal.
Actually it sure seems to bother you how much Price makes / has made. No one is putting anyone on the pedestal but you sure as hell seem to be jealous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad