Post-Game Talk: Habs lose game #2 to Calgary but will win on Monday

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If I was him I wouldnt take blame either.
Inherited a garbage team with no skill in the line up or in the system, no decent #1 or 2?center and no pmd cept Petry.

Im repeating myself, but come on man.
I half agree. Team is built like someone was throwing darts. (And maybe he was), but the coach could have played different lines combos through the season. Unless he is being directed and then its completely irrelevant because he will likely not have a career if he decides to not play his best lineup RIGHT NOW. Yeah his job may be on the line, but his future job is also on the line once mcdumpsterfire is fired. And this season should do it should we miss the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I half agree. Team is built like someone was throwing darts. (And maybe he was), but the coach could have played different lines combos through the season. Unless he is being directed and then its completely irrelevant because he will likely not have a career if he decides to not play his best lineup RIGHT NOW. Yeah his job may be on the line, but his future job is also on the line once mcdumpsterfire is fired. And this season should do it should we miss the playoffs.

I've been as disappointed in Ducharme as the next person but the line-up decisions aren't his fault.. they are Bergevin's.

He handcuffed him on salary and recalls, so he can't play anyone but Staal.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Would have been nice if we were stacked with young talent and sucked. At Least we would have a future to watch. Been screaming for a rebuild for 15+ years now. Tired of this team.
Wish they moved them out of Quebec at this point and away from the media and politics to be honest.
You migh as well wish for a pony while you are at it.
It's the Montreal canadiens then. Now, forever

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
And Istanbul was once Constantinople

They might just not have a choice in the matter. If they can't cut it in the North, imagine what it will be like when things get back to normal and we play way more often against la crême of the league, with 82 games to crash down even further in the standings after a hot start, quite possibly losing core players (Danault, Tuna) this summer, Weber, Price and Petry all above 34 years old. It ain't gonna be pretty unless we snag a miracle worker behind the bench or a miracle trade or signing for some elite talent on D.
A proper reconstruction is mandatory. The Habs blew their chance at the trade deadline to sell Tuna, Dano, Armia, Lek, etc. The waiver BargainBin lost yet another player drafted by the organization to waivers and traded picks for garbage. Staying true to his roots, he brought in coveted has-beens and skilled grinders that will walk in the summer. Now, this is a man of his word, believing that building through the draft is the way to go.

Weber and Drouin no longer offer anything of substance to this team and their contracts are a burden for everyone. Getting rid of them will be like shooting darts in the dark. Hopefully, Seattle swoops one up. MB, though, sees great potential in both and will protect them.

Then you have players over 30: Price and Petry, who brought lots to the team. Price is a shell of his former self on the ice while Petry is hanging on. How long can this be sustainable?

The farm system has a few good prospects but apart from maybe 2-3 names, nothing to put your teeth under. Byron is finished. He's dead weight. And then, you have the young centers who cracked under the pressure.

Tatar may of had an awful season but this is the only player that actually I would love to see back with the Habs. Danault, Armia, Merrill, Gustafson, Staal can take a hike. Frolik retires or dissappears in Europe. Not to mention all the upcoming RFAs that will likely not be tethered a QO. Perry and Staal, though can be great bottom 9 players if they want to remain in the league on cheap deals.

Last edited:

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
With JD in the press box, I really focused on Weber tonight.
Guy cannot get the puck off his stick quick enough. He will pass it to Ben before Ben shots it up 9/10 times. I f***ing laughed so hard on the EN goal. Weber half assed chips it in, goes to anderson on the flames, and he flips it.

Normally when a team is about to enter hell like the habs (All these vets eating up money, weber price, dru-dru) you can hopefully take some solace that they did their best earlier and either went deep in the playoffs, or won cups (See the Black Hawks.) No, we have been getting worse nearly every year. The Longer MB has had influence on this team, the shittier it gets. Its that simple!

After the EN goal I was so stunned that I had to watch the replay 3 times. It was not a pro hockey play. It illustrated our season perfectly. Super slow transition, imprecise pass , lack of effort and speed to compensate for the inaccuracy and finally lack of skill with the stick handling .

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
I dont know, thats why I posted it. I was wondering if anyone had more infos on Weise comments

There's no elaboration. He replied saying he doesn't want to slander the guy, right after saying he's such a walking dumpster fire he shouldn't be allowed around the prospects lol. So since he can't express himself or isn't willing to explain what he disagrees about, we'll never know. It would be pretty easy for him to have just not shit talked him and instead express what he thinks is important in player development and let us draw conclusions but I guess being inflammatory is better. So weird coming from the show that insists everything Habs needs to be positive and that media is always the unsubstantiated villain.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Price back to Montreal
Byron injured (4th liner)
Drouin sick ( healthy scratch material)
Tatar now injured , couldn't make anything since Gallagher has been injured.

Habs finally having injuries. we'll see more Staal icetime lol.

Now do we give Toffoli and Anderson to Danault because hes the best?

Honestly, all our injuries look fake.
Players are jumping out of the sinking ship.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Imagine where this team would be right now without the hot start...Calgary is within 4 now though with 1 more game played and Vancouver is within 8 with 5 games in hand. Both still have a very real chance of jumping the Habs for the final playoff spot. Bergevin is just not capable of putting the right pieces together at the right time to create a true Cup contender. Short of a Stanley Cup win this season, he should be fired as soon as the Habs season is over.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We are running out of things to say, and seem to be back at rinse and repeat, wait...................

So, I’ll go out on a limb and say he’s built a contender.

1. Build from the goalie, then out.
2. Loaded up on playoff type defencemen; big, strong
3. Like Chicago, run with two young forwards to carry the team.
4. Got depth pieces to mitigate lulls due to scheduling and injuries.

The only thing he is missing now is talent in all four areas.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Imagine where this team would be right now without the hot start...Calgary is within 4 now though with 1 more game played and Vancouver is within 8 with 5 games in hand. Both still have a very real chance of jumping the Habs for the final playoff spot. Bergevin is just not capable of putting the right pieces together at the right time to great a true Cup contender. Short of a Stanley Cup win this season, he should be fired as soon as the Habs season is over.

He should be fired right now and send the message.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
There's no elaboration. He replied saying he doesn't want to slander the guy, right after saying he's such a walking dumpster fire he shouldn't be allowed around the prospects lol. So since he can't express himself or isn't willing to explain what he disagrees about, we'll never know. It would be pretty easy for him to have just not shit talked him and instead express what he thinks is important in player development and let us draw conclusions but I guess being inflammatory is better. So weird coming from the show that insists everything Habs needs to be positive and that media is always the unsubstantiated villain.
Weise is the one who defended Weber's leadership last week and that people need to stop throwing him under the bus.

We have no idea what happens in the locker room, sure, but we've all clearly seen on the ice a lack of leadership, a captain that hasn't defended his young players and a captain that has said "this is a team game, it's not my fault" about the way he's playing.

I'll take Weise thoughts with a grain of salt. What we see right now is the absolute contrary of what he said both times.

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
The Flames aren't that great of a team either, but they just seem to want the playoffs more.

Habs came out last 2 games shitting the bed with basically zero effort outside of Anderson, Toffoli and our goalies.

I don't think Caufield would make a huge difference, but considering he's already here sitting in the press box, might as well give him a few games so he can taste some NHL action.

Reactions: Forum93

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
Weise is the one who defended Weber's leadership last week and that people need to stop throwing him under the bus.

We have no idea what happens in the locker room, sure, but we've all clearly seen on the ice a lack of leadership, a captain that hasn't defended his young players and a captain that has said "this is a team game, it's not my fault" about the way he's playing.

I'll take Weise thoughts with a grain of salt. What we see right now is the absolute contrary of what he said both times.

Oh yeah, it's why he's asked to elaborate because it's completely out of left field and doesn't match anything else anyone has had to say since his arrival. He is a big Therrien fan, I get it, the guy played him like he was the second coming but he may also be a firm believer in foxhole philosophy because of his only NHL success being in that situation, and it doesn't match Bouchard. Just bizarre for him to be THAT against the one person in the franchise the fans like.

Perhaps MB has become jealous of Joel and hired Weise off Fiverr to put some negativity and doubt out there? 20$ is 20$! :sarcasm:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Flames aren't that great of a team either, but they just seem to want the playoffs more.

Habs came out last 2 games shitting the bed with basically zero effort outside of Anderson, Toffoli and our goalies.

I don't think Caufield would make a huge difference, but considering he's already here sitting in the press box, might as well give him a few games so he can taste some NHL action.
No, they’re simply a tough matchup for Habs w their style of play. There aren’t enough big & strong Habs forwards able to play that grind it out style, including the two young Cs who’ve failed at driving plays consistently up the middle and forcing possession in the Ozone.

It’s why games are not lopsided vs Leafs, Edm or Jets (except 1 anomaly) as they are regularly vs Cgy - the former play a more open ice skating game vs Cgy forces game play along boards & in the corner

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I've been as disappointed in Ducharme as the next person but the line-up decisions aren't his fault.. they are Bergevin's.

He handcuffed him on salary and recalls, so he can't play anyone but Staal.
True but what about before the deadline.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The Habs season ends on May 12. From May 13-19 Vancouver has 5 games left (4 against Calgary, 1 against Edmonton) and the Flames have 4 left. It’ll probably be a long week for the Habs as they watch other teams determine their fate if they keep playing like they are.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad