Post-Game Talk: Habs lose game #2 to Calgary but will win on Monday

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
VA
I thought we were in the window where young prospects could complement older talented veterans. But the prospects are still a year or two too young and the veterans have long passed their prime.

It's sad to see Weber and Price being shadows of their former selves. Unfortunately it may be time to retool this team once again.

Also, I never was a Bergevin basher but the fact that he never did fix the LD since he lost 4 LD (Emelin, Markov, Beaulieu and Sergachev) in a few days in 2016 should have him fired. Any managers of any normal and functional companies would have been fired a long time ago. He did a few good moves but he never addressed some of the main problems.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Owner won’t change but it’s clear to me they need a total overhaul, gm, scouting, coaching staff.

I’ve been more patient with MB than most on here but it’s time for new blood. I agree with some on here that call for a total rebuild, burn it to the ground and start over.

Not really excited about the prospects nor the core that are there to support them. Tank hard imo, enough of middle of the road but they won’t go that route.

It's been clear for years. Been saying this since 15-16.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Which is fine. The owner is supposed to care about making money with his investment. Ideally he'd hire someone to be in charge of the hockey aspect of the business he owns.

He did hire someone to run the hockey aspect, he just hasn’t been successful at doing so.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Starting to really have Cunneyworth vibes with Ducharme, just doesn't look right and pretty special that he doesn't seem to want to be liked, looking dead in interviews and generally weird.
If that's how he talks to the players, no wonder they tuned him out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Got it! thought you were commenting on the Habs chances of a long playoff run:doh:

as for that conversation, I'll be happy if we miss or we make it.

Our remaining games present various types of match ups. Calgary have our number. We play the Oilers well, though they're gaining on us. The Sens, Leafs, and Jets we're about even with. Caufield is about to be unleashed, and Gally didn't need surgery, so he'll be back... It's a coin flip at this point as to whether we make it.

Should make for some pretty exciting games (once we're done with Calgary for the year after tomorrow). But I'm not too emotionally invested either way. I really wasn't mad when I saw we were losing last night. Would love that lottery pick and the heat MB would face if we missed.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If that's how he talks to the players, no wonder they tuned him out.
I don't think they tuned him out. The team is just very flawed.
Weak down the middle, no superstar winger to make up for it, terrible defense corps.
So much for building a strong character and leadership team too, we have Danault who says he's not sure he'll stick around if his role changes, Weber who thinks his play doesn't matter much, and Drouin who tells a journalist to look at his assists to explain his 2 goals..as if having 21A in 44GP is somehow good. 186th scorer in the NHL and he thinks he's doing fine.

It's just a bad team. We have good individual players but it's a poor assemble.

Reactions: peate

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Our remaining games present various types of match ups. Calgary have our number. We play the Oilers well, though they're gaining on us. The Sens, Leafs, and Jets we're about even with. Caufield is about to be unleashed, and Gally didn't need surgery, so he'll be back... It's a coin flip at this point as to whether we make it.

Should make for some pretty exciting games (once we're done with Calgary for the year after tomorrow). But I'm not too emotionally invested either way. I really wasn't mad when I saw we were losing last night. Would love that lottery pick and the heat MB would face if we missed.

Regardless how Habs fare,MB should be canned imo. He's had more than enough kicks at the can and it's still not a contender, always scrambling to even make the PO's, and then he leaves it up to lady luck:shakehead

Reactions: BLONG7 and Runner77

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Imagine if Toffoli didn't sign or wasn't playing in god mode...
We would be awful without Anderson and Toffoli I kind of wish we didint aquire them at all . Team needs the atomic bomb treatment and its just typical Habs fashion for us to be battling for a playoff spot with a mediocre roster. Bergevin by making two good moves basically f***s us over because he has no plan and we will go another useless year with another mid 1st round pick bleh . It just proves all the detractors point when you see him make 2 great moves for toffoli and anderson but since we havent had a plan for 8 years its all for naught

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

This team has been anything but exciting since the little start of the year, which was the equivalent of exhibition games during a normal season.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Is there some sort of Holiday in Alberta on Monday? Game is at 6:30pm ET on a weekday. Definitely not complaining, quite the opposite - simply curious.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This team has been anything but exciting since the little start of the year, which was the equivalent of exhibition games during a normal season.

I found the last two Oiler games exciting. The Flames games are unwatchable. There are a lot of hit or miss games. But with the upcoming dog fight to make the playoffs, I think more games will be exciting than not. I could be wrong though.

But yeah, it would help the excitment level if we had an offensive maestro.

Reactions: Habs13

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I found the last two Oiler games exciting. The Flames games are unwatchable. There are a lot of hit or miss games. But with the upcoming dog fight to make the playoffs, I think more games will be exciting than not. I could be wrong though.

But yeah, it would help the excitment level if we had an offensive maestro.
I think the lack of fans is hitting me too. It's just not the same.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

But yeah, it would help the excitement level if we had an offensive maestro.

I thought the Flames games would be like that Edmonton game, but no... no jam. No guts. No fight. No effort. Its pretty sad when a team can't muster up anything to play the team that could potentially bounce them out of the playoffs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I thought the Flames games would be like that Edmonton game, but no... no jam. No guts. No fight. No effort. Its pretty sad when a team can't muster up anything to play the team that could potentially bounce them out of the playoffs

The Flames games are the Flames games. We give the same effort against them that we give against other teams. They just nullify any attempts we make to get going and render us useless.

We really need to change the formula up for Monday and put Cole in. Getting a goal nor two from him could turn the tables. But ultimately they expose our inability to connect passes when under heavy pressure. They smother us.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

It's the way they play...it's the same when we play Ottawa...both teams clog up the neutral zone and are physically engaging at all times...we have no transition game at all and therefore crumble when significant pressure is applied by our opponents...our team game plays right into their strengths and our own weaknesses...a good coaching staff would see this and adjust accordingly with what they have to work with...a good GM would see this and make moves to have a more well-balanced team that can transition the puck...we need a good coaching staff and a good GM before we'll stop spinning our tires and going nowhere...that's on Molson...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The flames just own us...........it's weird how we did this to Vancouver, and now Calgary is doing it to us.....
Season is on the line monday boys....do we need another Anderson talk to the guys?
The sad part is, Weber has already called a players only meeting, MB has gone down and have a chat with them, coaches have been fired.......and here we are?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The flames just own us...........it's weird how we did this to Vancouver, and now Calgary is doing it to us.....
Season is on the line monday boys....do we need another Anderson talk to the guys?
The sad part is, Weber has already called a players only meeting, MB has gone down and have a chat with them, coaches have been fired.......and here we are?
And yet we win and trumpet will call to our SCF just waiting as we steamroll toronto then edmonton. :laugh: We lose and calgary pulls within 2 and has 4 games against vancouver who is also chasing us with 5 games in hand. Either team ccould pass us if we lose monday. Literally most important game of the year.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
And yet we win and trumpet will call to our SCF just waiting as we steamroll toronto then edmonton. :laugh: We lose and calgary pulls within 2 and has 4 games against vancouver who is also chasing us with 5 games in hand. Either team ccould pass us if we lose monday. Literally most important game of the year.

Vancouver won last night too! The pressure should really be on right now!

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad