Post-Game Talk: Habs lose back-to-back

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Let’s not sugar coat it cause he’s young but Suzuki has been terrible. Drouin-level terrible lately.

not sure if he’s injured or the grind (especially this year) of an NHL season is getting to him. At least last year he had a mini break before the playoff round. He looks exhausted and gassed out there.

that’s one reason I always say KK has more potential than suzuki. The size def makes a diff in the NHL. The body can takes its toll over the course of an nhl season going up against big defesemen

A mini-break?

They missed 5 months. That's whole offseason.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

People act like you can find a 1st pair PMD in the blink on an eye.

Spoiler : If you have a proven first pairing PMD you might want to hold on to him.

We probably have to hope for Romanov to be that guy in 1-2 years. And find a #3-4 rental left shooting PMD in the meantime.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The longer this season goes, the more and more I lose faith in this organization ever being successful.

From top to bottom, this team isn't built to win. Bergevin has made so many moves over the years to tinker with the defense, and as of right now Petry is the only good player on the blueline, and everyone else has been bad. I'll give Romanov a pass since it's his rookie year, but he hasn't looked great. It also isn't like there's some blue chipper banging on the doors in the AHL who will make the team soon. We have a few prospects who could be good, but they're all a few years away at best.

On offense we're spending so much money on guys who should be in the bottom six. Guys like Armia, Byron, Lehkonen, Staal... and then in Staal's case, he's playing on the second line for some unknown reason.

Bergevin didn't like the start of the season so he fired the coach and named an interim coach, who has a worse record than Julien had.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Bergevin gone at the end of the year barring a miracle playoff run, but I have absolutely no confidence in Geoff Molson to hire someone who would right the wrongs of the last ten years. It's so disheartening to a fan of this team and just knowing that the owner has his head so far up his ass that the team won't ever have any real success as long as he's the one choosing / approving the team's management.

I'd love to be wrong about whoever comes in next, but I have zero faith in Molson suddenly doing a 180 and doing the right thing.
I’d love to see them just make some totally off the board hire for GM
Like just some no name 60 year old man from Montreal who will go George Steinbrenner crazy with roster shakeups

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
In 92-93 they had two top end centers and an elite goal scorer.. the best goalie in the world, a budding star in LeClaire and one of the deepest defenses in the NHL..

View attachment 419637

Get us that recipe, sure.. but we do not have anyone close to the level of Damphousse, Muller or Bellows.. let alone Desjardins, Schneider, etc.
Oh i know , just saying that even championship teams look shitty sometimes, however we are not there yet
We are very far from that team. But i can see us becoming that team next year

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
My eyes and stats below don’t agree with your statement

View attachment 419634

I really don’t care about advanced stats. Nothing was threatening yesterday save for another Lehkonen flubbed shot and an Anderson flubbed shot after the Drouin pass from behind the net. There was no domination. Habs kept coming to Hellebuyck’s left and shooting bad angle shots on a giant goalie that covers angles nearly perfectly.

Reactions: dnl4ever

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
All you have to do is watch the game and see for yourself that Winnipeg barely broke a sweat

Don’t worry I watched the game....and didn’t see it your way at all.

I guess the Jets allowed those two posts + the few other golden chances on purpose (Suzuki shot that barely got blocked by top of blocker, Perry/Staal/Toffoli scramble in front that almost got in, Anderson in front after Drouin’s pass, etc.)

Sorry to disrupt your negative energy. Looks like a lot of fun

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
People act like you can find a 1st pair PMD in the blink on an eye.

Spoiler : If you have a proven first pairing PMD you might want to hold on to him.

We probably have to hope for Romanov to be that guy in 1-2 years. And find a #3-4 rental left shooting PMD in the meantime.

We gave this one away for what is the equivalent of a medium double double.
o7OflsEqRnymqlfdx7X0w9rdwkRdG_iKmzMPhqs-Dn_etanZUYMM8VZKzCG8gC3nFTsTyvcm3A1nJJ3BYX90lEkPCMd9i5LinISl806fvJl4csimji1BxEQBikPzgecrb2V3kcPmWWZFZpms

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He fits perfectly a purely defensive 4C role for a contender with a strong top 6, the Habs need offense on four lines if they want to win, Evans does not provide offense
When was the last time a 4th line center provided offense in Montreal? What is acceptable?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I really don’t care about advanced stats. Nothing was threatening yesterday save for another Lehkonen flubbed shot and an Anderson flubbed shot after the Drouin pass from behind the net. There was no domination. Habs kept coming to Hellebuyck’s left and shooting bad angle shots on a giant goalie that covers angles nearly perfectly.

Suzuki shot that barely got a piece of blocker, a scramble in front with Perry/Toffoli/Staal that almost miraculously didn’t get in... plenty of other grade B chances

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Suzuki shot that barely got a piece of blocker, a scramble in front with Perry/Toffoli/Staal that almost miraculously didn’t get in... plenty of other grade B chances

You said DOMINATION. There was no domination. There was no continuous possession and pressure in the Jets zone.

It’s like the Leafs game where all of the stats point to the Habs dominating the 2nd when there was like one scoring chance. Outside shots do nothing. They go in 1% of the time.

Reactions: Tyson

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
When was the last time a 4th line center provided offense in Montreal? What is acceptable?

Not saying it ever was the case but when your top lines don't have top scorers, the other lines need to compensate, or you lose. It is not Evans, it is the way the team is built, Evans, Byron, Lekhonen is great on the PK but not dangerous enough at EV.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Don’t worry I watched the game....and didn’t see it your way at all.

I guess the Jets allowed those two posts + the few other golden chances on purpose (Suzuki shot that barely got blocked by top of blocker, Perry/Staal/Toffoli scramble in front that almost got in, Anderson in front after Drouin’s pass, etc.)

Sorry to disrupt your negative energy. Looks like a lot of fun
Being a realist is not being negative. We can't all hold hands and sing cumbaya. I want the Habs to do well but the team is built on bandaid fixes as they go...no true strategy

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Devon Toews was available for a couple of picks in the summer. Those players are available if you look hard enough. However, Bergevin has it in his mind that a big, slow defence wins championships.
Great to have one Shutdown Chiarot / Edmunson guy on the 2nd line as a Shutdown D, not great to have 3 of them (incl. Weber) out of 6 defensemen and even worst to have some on the same pair. Edmunson - Petry worked, keep them together, put Weber on the third with Mete and keep them at 15min a night, that should be better in my opinion.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
You might want to look into what proven means.

Also with the team he has, Serge is a 50% high danger chances for player. Doesn’t look like a top pairing D to me. Second pairing for now.
Obviously Sergachev would be great for the team, but he might be the most overrated player in the world for most Habs fans. He isn't a top pairing guy at all. He's still young, so maybe he will be one down the line, but it isn't like if you put him on the Canadiens and get rid of Drouin the team is in much better shape than they're in now.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You said DOMINATION. There was no domination. There was no continuous possession and pressure in the Jets zone.

It’s like the Leafs game where all of the stats point to the Habs dominating the 2nd when there was like one scoring chance. Outside shots do nothing. They go in 1% of the time.

Habs scored more goals then their « expected goals » would suggest, this year.

The stat I provided is adjusted for shot quality.

Domination might be exaggerated but they were the better team no doubt.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You might want to look into what proven means.

Also with the team he has, Serge is a 50% high danger chances for player. Doesn’t look like a top pairing D to me. Second pairing for now.
Hows our left D looking there boss? Do we have someone as good as him? I don't think so and neither do you but I bet that you applaud Bergevin for trading for Drouin.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Being a realist is not being negative. We can't all hold hands and sing cumbaya. I want the Habs to do well but the team is built on bandaid fixes as they go...no true strategy

That's the issue with Bergevin's moves but I guess the issue is that he made a bet to tie his fate to a goalie and that was the biggest mistake from the start.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Obviously Sergachev would be great for the team, but he might be the most overrated player in the world for most Habs fans. He isn't a top pairing guy at all. He's still young, so maybe he will be one down the line, but it isn't like if you put him on the Canadiens and get rid of Drouin the team is in much better shape than they're in now.
It was a terrible trade. Giving away a successor to Markov for a soft uninterested winger with nothing else in the pipeline. I believe that we would be much better with Sergachev alongside Weber right now.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's a 2nd pairing D man. Nothing wrong with that but definitely not a game changer like many believe

Reactions: dnl4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad