Post-Game Talk: Habs lose again in OT

Scott1243

Oct 17, 2017
Comment about Weber and Chairot in OT. We see them as brutal out there but Ducharme sees them as D that didn’t get scored on. Armia or not Petry was out there, hence why DD will still continue to play the other 2. Like others have said, boggles my mind that Romanov is not out there... looks like he has new life since DUcharme took over.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Depends if Molson has had enough of Bergevin at this point, I could see it. Bergevin just came to him to ask for the money for Anderson and Toffoli, look what happened again. Molson ain't getting anything from that investment.

Any new GM would have Molson include to get rid of Price/Weber in writing in his contract, as a condition for joining the team. It's simple, these 2 are done as core players.

Could see Roy take over as GM, that's the job he really wants.

The next GM will be trading Suzuki/KK/prospects to win NOW, he won't be getting rid of Weber/Price. That has been the rule every GMs have followed in this team for the last 30 years. Only half-way in his tenure has Bergevin move away from it and he was forced by the empty cupboard left to him by the previous GM and shit drafting results/crappy prospects development.

The problem is Moslon and refusing to do a rebuild. That's not going away with a new GM.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'm pretty sure it's a reputation thing.

Danault is a "1st line vets" on track for 54 points in 82 games last year playing for a contract this year. Bergevin doesn't want to send the message he didn't help a vets 1st line UFA on his contract year get a good contract.

The only way this change is via a trade.
So let's keep sending PD out there and be content with losing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think we actually do (well not McDavid level, but the team has a few good offensive talents). The problem is that all their efforts are killed once the puck ends on the stick of a D not named Petry/Romanov (who is still learning) or forwards named Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Danault (Tatar haven't been that great this year and Gally has tunnel visions most of the time too). Half the forwards are clueless in the o-zone as are 2/3 of the Ds.

Evans and Perry were trying to get an ozone cycle started last night, Byron got the puck and he had no idea what to do with it. Suzuki/Drouin/Toffoli cycles are always killed by the Ds not named Petry. KK and Romanov were basically playing 2v8 at times last night.

Ducharme kept talking about better puck support, but half of this team is clueless about what is puck support.

Good offensive talent=/=High end offensive talent. There's a major difference. We do not have high end talent, we do not have an offensive catalyst.
No team has good players on the 4th line or lower pair Ds. The Byron..Lek..Armia..Kulak...they're not the problem with this team. Those guys are actually pretty good at their roles. Granted, given his cap hit, you'd expect more production from Byron but in terms of position, as a 4th line winger, he's not an issue.

The problem with this team is they expect average-good talent to somehow make up a strong team. It's never going to to work. Suzuki and KK, hopefully, become high end but they're not there yet. Expecting these two centers and Danault to carry your center line will lead to mediocre results, as we've been seeing.
Danault is a problem because we keep trying to use him as an offensive center. There's no reason for him to still be playing with Gallagher and Tatar at this point, or get 18-19min of ice time.

On defense, Weber is nowhere near his prime, he should be more of a 2nd pairing guy at this point or at most on a top pair with a puck moving/mobile #1D. Chiarot shouldn't be more than a #4. Having him and Edmundson is redundant.

Those are the real issues with this team, it's not the Byron or Kulak of this team.

Reactions: Andy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
An INTERIM coach wants to keep his job. Hence pleasing his players. If Weber and Chiarot wants to be out there....they'll be out there.

I don't think he's an Interim...At most, they aren't jumping the gun, but pretty sure the job is his unless he shits the bed.
He is using his veterans because he's the new guy coming in and you don't walk into the room guns blazing flipping shit upside down.
Interim or not, you need the veterans on your side.

Reactions: Andy

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Depends if Molson has had enough of Bergevin at this point, I could see it. Bergevin just came to him to ask for the money for Anderson and Toffoli, look what happened again. Molson ain't getting anything from that investment.

Any new GM would have Molson include to get rid of Price/Weber in writing in his contract, as a condition for joining the team. It's simple, these 2 are done as core players.

Could see Roy take over as GM, that's the job he really wants.

Even if he has enough of Bergevin, doesn't mean that will change his priorities and overall philosophy.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Comment about Weber and Chairot in OT. We see them as brutal out there but Ducharme sees them as D that didn’t get scored on. Armia or not Petry was out there, hence why DD will still continue to play the other 2. Like others have said, boggles my mind that Romanov is not out there... looks like he has new life since DUcharme took over.

I can understand why Romanov isn’t out there yet. He’s looked panicky leading to him making really poor decisions in both ends for awhile now. He’ll eventually grow into the player we need with experience. As to playing the other defenseman, we don’t have anybody else on our blueline built for 3 on 3 so we may as well just role forwards and Petry at this point.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Toffoli's 2-2 tying goal went off Suzuki's stick and then hit Toffoli's skate. Perry's 3-3 tying goal went off Drouin's stick and hit Perry's pants to go in. So basically, they're scoring by accident. :sarcasm:
If they're not in front of the net, this doesn't happen. The only one who used to be there was Gally. At least now, they're heading there for the dirty stuff. Look at Stastny's goal. Was that a good goal off his skate?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If they're not in front of the net, this doesn't happen. The only one who used to be there was Gally. At least now, they're heading there for the dirty stuff. Look at Stastny's goal. Was that a good goal off his skate?

The sarcastic emoji in my post should tell you I wasn't being serious.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Time to see Leskinen again and sign Schueneman and see what he can do. I know its ahl, but these guys have been great. I've had it with Chiarot (at least as a top pair guy)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That was such an embarrassing way to lose. Lose on a good goal. Ok. Fine. But run into each other in your own end when theres only 6 skaters?? Thats just inexcusable. Imo Armia should be scratched. Normally I wouldn't say this in such a crazy schedule, but its time to experiment. Keeping some of these guys together is clearly not working.
Caught the end of the third and OT between Hawks Lightening. Now thats how you play 3 on 3. 5 minutes non stop action. Kane, Debrincat, hell Kieth was all over the ice. Points, Stamps, Sergachev, Hedden. Both goalies made big saves. Hedden scores with .1 remaining. 1 tenth of a second !

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I share the general sentiment that Chiarot and Armia should not be getting any 3 on 3 ice time. What I don’t understand is the hate for Byron. He skated very well last night and was involved in 1 or 2 good scoring chances in OT which was more than anyone else on the ice.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I can understand why Romanov isn’t out there yet. He’s looked panicky leading to him making really poor decisions in both ends for awhile now. He’ll eventually grow into the player we need with experience. As to playing the other defenseman, we don’t have anybody else on our blueline built for 3 on 3 so we may as well just role forwards and Petry at this point.

He's looked this way ever since he was a healthy scratch. I don't understand why coaches still operate that way. It's such a dumb strategy. If you have a bunch of kids competing against one another, then okay it makes sense, but for a guy like Romanov...it's dumb. He had a rough game, scratched. So obviously that will stick in his head, consciously or not, it's now a fact that if he has a bad game or makes mistakes, he can get scratched and that's pretty well reflected in his play since.
Let the kid play, let him make mistakes.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The next GM will be trading Suzuki/KK/prospects to win NOW, he won't be getting rid of Weber/Price. That has been the rule every GMs have followed in this team for the last 30 years. Only half-way in his tenure has Bergevin move away from it and he was forced by the empty cupboard left to him by the previous GM and shit drafting results/crappy prospects development.

The problem is Moslon and refusing to do a rebuild. That's not going away with a new GM.
We know Molson will let MB do whatever he wants to. And back him up all the way. That has been proven.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia has ZERO vision... seriously and is the WORST passer on the team, he has NO business being on the ice 3 on 3.
3v3 we could sent 3/4 of the team to the room just so we aren't tempted to send them out there. They wouldn't be needed in a shoot out either if we miraculously got there. :help:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Perry being credited for the last goal means that our 2 ES goals in this game were both double deflections. OTL is quite a lucky result.
Boom. I watched the game and that is exactly the reason that we even got to OT. I would also say that I believe that the score should have been much worse in the Jet's favor. They could have easily had 5-6 goals. A stat watcher will say different things but the eye test proves otherwise. We did not deserve to get to OT save for luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad