Post-Game Talk: Habs lose again in OT

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
we must be one of the few teams in the league without actual high end offensive talent, right there with NJ and Phoenix.

I think we actually do (well not McDavid level, but the team has a few good offensive talents). The problem is that all their efforts are killed once the puck ends on the stick of a D not named Petry/Romanov (who is still learning) or forwards named Byron, Lehkonen, Armia, Danault (Tatar haven't been that great this year and Gally has tunnel visions most of the time too). Half the forwards are clueless in the o-zone as are 2/3 of the Ds.

Evans and Perry were trying to get an ozone cycle started last night, Byron got the puck and he had no idea what to do with it. Suzuki/Drouin/Toffoli cycles are always killed by the Ds not named Petry. KK and Romanov were basically playing 2v8 at times last night.

Ducharme kept talking about better puck support, but half of this team is clueless about what is puck support.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Nobody has the balls to move those two lamp posts on the top d-pairing down, I'm not surprised how badly Chariot is playing but I didn't expect Weber to drop to the completely useless level.oof this is getting as ugly as last year.
I still have hope that Weber and Chiarot's play will get better once they stop playing together. Play Weber with Mete and Chiarot with Romanov or something like that, both clearly need speed to help them.

Why they're still playing together after that bad start of the season and a coach firing? God knows why, I have absolutely no idea but it's laughable how clueless that organization can be at times.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Habs are much improved in the last few games. This is another game where we were (slightly) the better team but lost.

As long as the effort level is good, we will be a playoff team.

The good :

Drouin
Romanov
Toffoli
KK

The bad :

Weber / Chiarot (how many games we need to lose because of them before they are split up)

Allen (the bad goal was the difference in the end)

We’re not gonna lose every game where we almost double the opponents shot attempts. Let’s keep the faith!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Talking about two players no longer with the Habs to make a current point about the current Habs... Good for you!
The more things change the more they stay the same in some cases.
Besides. I wasnt making a point. The continous losing by squad after squad from Bergevin is.
I merely offered an observation

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
An INTERIM coach wants to keep his job. Hence pleasing his players. If Weber and Chiarot wants to be out there....they'll be out there.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Still laughing about the dude who said the teams would be better if guys like Byron would bring their a-game.

yeah, Paul Byron. My god, this team has been so deprived of talent that we think Paul Byron would be a difference maker on this club.

then there was that other dude who said that MB should just trade Armia, Frolik and Mete as though these players actually have value.

we are such in denial about the lack of top end skill in the lineup.

we must be one of the few teams in the league without actual high end offensive talent, right there with NJ and Phoenix.
At this point why are we continuing to send out Phil Danault as if his lack of offensive production is irrelevant? Why not stack KK and Suzuki with what we have on the first two lines? It seems so strange that in the midst of a coach dismissal and a team still spiraling downward that we continue to do more of the same.

As far as the whole skill thing, I am with you, we are bottom 5 in the league, no question.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
At this point why are we continuing to send out Phil Danault as if his lack of offensive production is irrelevant?

I'm pretty sure it's a reputation thing.

Danault is a "1st line vets" on track for 54 points in 82 games last year playing for a contract this year. Bergevin doesn't want to send the message he didn't help a vets 1st line UFA on his contract year get a good contract.

The only way this change is via a trade.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Still laughing about the dude who said the teams would be better if guys like Byron would bring their a-game.

yeah, Paul Byron. My god, this team has been so deprived of talent that we think Paul Byron would be a difference maker on this club.

then there was that other dude who said that MB should just trade Armia, Frolik and Mete as though these players actually have value.

Bang on.

we are in such denial about the lack of top end skill in the line up.

We? Dont throw us all in on that "we". I have been putting up posts like the one you have here for the last five years buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Draft is incredibly weak this year.

With our kind of luck, we miss the playoffs in this shitty division in a bad draft year only to have a resurgence in the normal division next year and finish 8th or 9th in the conference in a really great draft year.

Molson needs to learn when to fold.

There won't be a resurgence next year. There won't be a resurgence until we get a real star up front imo. Suzuki and KK are nice and all, but they are no Svechnikov, Matthews etc. Caufield isn't it either. We need a Lambert/Shane Wright.

That's why if we miss the playoffs again, we need to move on from Carey Price, Weber, Danault and Tatar. Trade Danault and Tatar at the deadline for as many 2022s as you can. Trade Price/Weber over the summer for 2022-2023 picks (2023 also has so a very good top 5).

Reactions: OldCraig71

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There won't be a resurgence next year. There won't be a resurgence until we get a real star up front imo. Suzuki and KK are nice and all, but they are no Svechnikov, Matthews etc. Caufield isn't it either. We need a Lambert/Shane Wright.

That's why if we miss the playoffs again, we need to move on from Carey Price, Weber, Danault and Tatar. Trade Danault and Tatar at the deadline for as many 2022s as you can. Trade Price/Weber over the summer for 2022-2023 picks (2023 also has so a very good top 5).
Yep. Yep.... and Yep.

But doing all that wont change a thing if Bergevin is the one in charge of it.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
That was such an embarrassing way to lose. Lose on a good goal. Ok. Fine. But run into each other in your own end when theres only 6 skaters?? Thats just inexcusable. Imo Armia should be scratched. Normally I wouldn't say this in such a crazy schedule, but its time to experiment. Keeping some of these guys together is clearly not working.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
With a condensed schedule I thought we would see more rotation with the press box.

kind of like the mlb does. They give guys nights off. What’s wrong with rotating some extra bodies. Keep legs fresh and everyone hungry to stay in the lineup

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Watch Molson and Bergevin do the total opposite.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Watch Molson and Bergevin do the total opposite.

Depends if Molson has had enough of Bergevin at this point, I could see it. Bergevin just came to him to ask for the money for Anderson and Toffoli, look what happened again. Molson ain't getting anything from that investment.

Any new GM would have Molson include to get rid of Price/Weber in writing in his contract, as a condition for joining the team. It's simple, these 2 are done as core players.

Could see Roy take over as GM, that's the job he really wants.

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Benny Brunet on RDS was noting how team came out completely unprepared to play in the first. Says it’s all on the vets in the room. I would agree with him but I’m hesitant on a count it sounds so negative.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Not sure why people

New Jersey actually has a few guys that could get there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Perry being credited for the last goal means that our 2 ES goals in this game were both double deflections. OTL is quite a lucky result.

Toffoli's 2-2 tying goal went off Suzuki's stick and then hit Toffoli's skate. Perry's 3-3 tying goal went off Drouin's stick and hit Perry's pants to go in. So basically, they're scoring by accident. :sarcasm:

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Not that it would change much on such a bad team,but I'd be curious to see what Mete could do on a team lead by Ducharme. Maybe the new system would benefit him with his speed. Chariot is so bad anyways...

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not that it would change much on such a bad team,but I'd be curious to see what Mete could do on a team lead by Ducharme. Maybe the new system would benefit him with his speed. Chariot is so bad anyways...

And there is another guy who would do better in OT than Chiarot and Weber.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Toffoli's 2-2 tying goal went off Suzuki's stick and then hit Toffoli's skate. Perry's 3-3 tying goal went off Drouin's stick and hit Perry's pants to go in. So basically, they're scoring by accident. :sarcasm:

Bound to happen when 90% of our shots come from the blue line.

We are playing more of a pinball game than hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad