Post-Game Talk: Habs lose again in OT

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People complaining about Weber and Chariot in OT like there are actually other options on the team. Other than giving Romanov time in OT, there are literally no d men that are better.

again, y’all are in denial that there just isn’t enough skill on the team.
Nobody is in denial about the lack of talent on this team. But they do understand poor bench management when they see it. There is absolutely no reason not to use the players who will give you the best chance to win just because you are short on talent. NONE.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Boom. I watched the game and that is exactly the reason that we even got to OT. I would also say that I believe that the score should have been much worse in the Jet's favor. They could have easily had 5-6 goals. A stat watcher will say different things but the eye test proves otherwise. We did not deserve to get to OT save for luck.

I got the feeling that the Jets were cruising in a basic road game. Meanwhile our team was pushing as hard as they could while barely making a dent. They have another gear we don't have. Tampa demonstrated this to a greater degree last year playing hard for the 5 minutes it took to sink us. It wears on the players because they know it for sure.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Good offensive talent=/=High end offensive talent. There's a major difference. We do not have high end talent, we do not have an offensive catalyst.
No team has good players on the 4th line or lower pair Ds. The Byron..Lek..Armia..Kulak...they're not the problem with this team. Those guys are actually pretty good at their roles. Granted, given his cap hit, you'd expect more production from Byron but in terms of position, as a 4th line winger, he's not an issue.

The problem with this team is they expect average-good talent to somehow make up a strong team. It's never going to to work. Suzuki and KK, hopefully, become high end but they're not there yet. Expecting these two centers and Danault to carry your center line will lead to mediocre results, as we've been seeing.
Danault is a problem because we keep trying to use him as an offensive center. There's no reason for him to still be playing with Gallagher and Tatar at this point, or get 18-19min of ice time.

On defense, Weber is nowhere near his prime, he should be more of a 2nd pairing guy at this point or at most on a top pair with a puck moving/mobile #1D. Chiarot shouldn't be more than a #4. Having him and Edmundson is redundant.

Those are the real issues with this team, it's not the Byron or Kulak of this team.

You are talking about high end talents and then complains about lines not maximizing the current offensive talent and dmens being putrid which I mentioned as a problem.

The Habs are currently 8th in gf/gp with 3.23. The leaders (Tampa/Leaf) are at 3.52. The Jets are at 3rd with 3.39. This year, more goals are scored on the powerplay than at 5v5. The Habs don't get powerplays and until Borrows the strategy was shit anyway. Their scoring slump wouldn't have been fixed by high end talents, they would have followed the rest of the team down the drain.

After coach change. One PP wave is working, the one without Weber on it. The lines are only really dangerous at 5v5 when Petry is on the ice. The only issue this team has is the one you mention at the end: we need another puck moving dmen.

The problem with the Habs is not a lack of offensive talent or needing high end offensive talent, it's that the offensive talent can't get the puck and talent isn't played with talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Was it? I wondered that. Might have touched him.

So, Perry, 2 PP assists and goal with extra skater in last 2 games.
The guy is so crafty around the net. Little subtle touches even on broken plays that keep the play alive. Some of our forwards should pick his brain on how to position themselves in that traffic. When was the last time we had a forward with his poise in the trenches or what I would call true net front presence.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's no way he survives if we miss. Zero percent chance.

If we eek our way in he still might get canned but I suspect it would be good enough for o'l Geoff.

Btw, can anyone fire the owner?
I'm fairly certain the ownership "group" can fire the President. :rolleyes: Geoffy can always create a new position no one has ever heard of if he needs to draw salary. We seem to be good at that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Draft is incredibly weak this year.

With our kind of luck, we miss the playoffs in this shitty division in a bad draft year only to have a resurgence in the normal division next year and finish 8th or 9th in the conference in a really great draft year.

Molson needs to learn when to fold.
Organizational decisions that don't happen if you listen to some. :help:

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You are talking about high end talents and then complains about lines not maximizing the current offensive talent and dmens being putrid which I mentioned as a problem.

The Habs are currently 8th in gf/gp with 3.23. The leaders (Tampa/Leaf) are at 3.52. The Jets are at 3rd with 3.39. This year, more goals are scored on the powerplay than at 5v5. The Habs don't get powerplays and until Borrows the strategy was shit anyway. Their scoring slump wouldn't have been fixed by high end talents, they would have followed the rest of the team down the drain.

After coach change. One PP wave is working, the one without Weber on it. The lines are only really dangerous at 5v5 when Petry is on the ice. The only issue this team has is the one you mention at the end: we need another puck moving dmen.

The problem with the Habs is not a lack of offensive talent or needing high end offensive talent, it's that the offensive talent can't get the puck and talent isn't played with talent.
Lol..what?
Do you only value high end talent by just scoring? They're on the ice for way more than just 3-4 plays when they score you know?
High end talent carries the play, they will hold on to the puck longer, keep it in the offensive zone longer, etc..etc...
It's not just how many goals they score.

Yes we need better Dmen. That was evident before the season started.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Benny Brunet on RDS was noting how team came out completely unprepared to play in the first. Says it’s all on the vets in the room. I would agree with him but I’m hesitant on a count it sounds so negative.
The Jets like most teams have more skill and talent. As a result they are more "ready" on the plane getting here than the Habs are.

Forget the coach. The GM is one that does not have a top team "ready to go". Far from it.

Ya think Jon Copper , Craig Berube, or Barry Trotts ( last three Cup winning coaches) would win anything with this team?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
People complaining about Weber and Chariot in OT like there are actually other options on the team. Other than giving Romanov time in OT, there are literally no d men that are better.

again, y’all are in denial that there just isn’t enough skill on the team.

Why are we even using defensemen in OT to begin with?

Winnipeg goes with 3 forwards every time and seems to have a 5-1 OT record this season. Maybe we should explore other alternatives too.

BergevinsOnlyFan

Jan 2, 2021
I despise 3 on 3.It's not hockey.I have no idea what it is but it's awful.The habs don't have the players for it and you never see it in the playoffs anyway.
If we had the players for it nobody here would complain, it is exciting at least in my opinion

Reactions: angusyoung

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Caught the end of the third and OT between Hawks Lightening. Now thats how you play 3 on 3. 5 minutes non stop action. Kane, Debrincat, hell Kieth was all over the ice. Points, Stamps, Sergachev, Hedden. Both goalies made big saves. Hedden scores with .1 remaining. 1 tenth of a second !
To be fair, Hellebuk made a great save on Byron, so they could've won

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Why are we even using defensemen in OT to begin with?

Winnipeg goes with 3 forwards every time and seems to have a 5-1 OT record this season. Maybe we should explore other alternatives too.
If habs absolutely want to use D in OT, Petry, Romanov and Mete/Kulak should be the only one touching the ice, they are the only good enough skaters.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Good point. It's been this way for quite some time. It's so evident that when we do get pinned in our own zone look up and chances are you see #6 and #8 on the back end. Sure the third pairing get caught out but usually because of a mismatch. In the Ozone Weber and Chiarot seem to get a lot of shooting opportunities at nothing and neither has the second and third option visability of a Markov. Our best offensive forays usually have Petry and to some extent Romanov in the mix and the reasoning is quite simple. They are the only D who can keep up in all three zones.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The guy is so crafty around the net. Little subtle touches even on broken plays that keep the play alive. Some of our forwards should pick his brain on how to position themselves in that traffic. When was the last time we had a forward with his poise in the trenches or what I would call true net front presence.

Perry was a quality player for a long time,still has some mitts and smarts. A larger better version of Gallagher,makes Gallagher redundant if he was able to play more 5 on 5.

Reactions: Rapala

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The Jets like most teams have more skill and talent. As a result they are more "ready" on the plane getting here than the Habs are.

Forget the coach. The GM is one that does not have a top team "ready to go". Far from it.

Ya think Jon Copper , Craig Berube, or Barry Trotts ( last three Cup winning coaches) would win anything with this team?
Probably not... but I am 100% they wouldn't have used Danno and Armia in OT. Oh and Chiarot.

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
Did any reporters have the balls to ask Ducharme why Armia, Byron and Chariot are playing OT mins or did they all tuck their tails between there legs as usual?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad