Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 5- 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
how has tatar been?

He actually works hard enough that he looks good next to Gallagher. That's impressive.

I think playing well a few games in pre-season means absolutely fack all.

Kotkaniemi is not a superstar. He is also just 18...barely. He was 17 years old 3 months ago...So no, he is not ready for the NHL and yes, he has a lot to work on. Does he have specific flaws? Perhaps not, but yes, he needs to improve and keep perfecting every aspect of his game. His weakeness is likely his strength.

He's not a superstar? I don't know, he might not be Ovechkin but he's easily the most impressive prospect I've seen in the habs pipeline since a skinny Subban was flying on the ice.

I love how your implication is that he won't develop on a habs team that can play him decent minutes with no pressure to win. Seems like a great situation for him as long as his body holds up to the schedule.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
how has tatar been?
I'll admit it from the start. I'm not a big fan of the type of game that Pacioretty plays and I'm a huge fan of Tatar's game. He brings more to the table.

So to answer your question he has played better than I ever saw Pacioretty play.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'll admit it from the start. I'm not a big fan of the type of game that Pacioretty plays and I'm a huge fan of Tatar's game. He brings more to the table.

So to answer your question he has played better than I ever saw Pacioretty play.

I like what Tatar has done, but this is a ridiculous comment. Pacioretty scored 39 goals and is one of the leading goal scorers in the league since he came in. He has a lot of talent and he uses it to score his goals.

Jul 6, 2016
I like what Tatar has done, but this is a ridiculous comment. Pacioretty scored 39 goals and is one of the leading goal scorers in the league since he came in. He has a lot of talent and he uses it to score his goals.

Tatar just seems more involved, more intense. But you're right. Patches is a superior player-scorer.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty scores goals. He's very good at it in the regular season but that's all he does. The rest of his game is sub-NHL. He can't pass very well, he can't provide checking pressure, he loses almost every board fight he decides to partake in, he can barely skate with the puck on his stick, his stick handling skills are laughable. In other words opposing teams rarely work up a sweat playing against him. Pacioretty has a record of .36 goals per game. Tatar.27. Considering that Tatar has a more complete game than Patches, I would take him over our ex-captain every day and twice on Sundays. And that's assuming Patches will continue to score at the same rate even though he's almost 3 years older.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Almost like seeing exciting players with actual talent and a better product on the ice will lead to positive reactions...
Untill we Pejorative Slur their development by rushing them, playing them out of their natural position, telling them they won’t be anything but a 3rd/4th liner, bridge contracts, and/or creating a subversive media campaign about their play. I am excited for coconut, but the writing is already on the wall IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pacioretty scores goals. He's very good at it in the regular season but that's all he does. The rest of his game is sub-NHL. He can't pass very well, he can't provide checking pressure, he loses almost every board fight he decides to partake in, he can barely skate with the puck on his stick, his stick handling skills are laughable. In other words opposing teams rarely work up a sweat playing against him. Pacioretty has a record of .36 goals per game. Tatar.27. Considering that Tatar has a more complete game than Patches, I would take him over our ex-captain every day and twice on Sundays. And that's assuming Patches will continue to score at the same rate even though he's almost 3 years older.

Pacioretty is very reliable defensively. Tatar has never had 30 assists in a season. Pacioretty pretty much gets 30 assists minimum every year. Except for last year, Pacioretty is a perennial 60 point player. Tatar has only hit 50 points once and is usually in the mid 40s or down in the high 30s.

Tatar has 4 goals and 9 points in 25 playoff games. I.e. a pace of 13 goals and 29.5 points.
Pacioretty has 10 goals and 19 points in 38 playoff games, i.e. a pace of 41 points and over 20 goals.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think playing well a few games in pre-season means absolutely fack all.

Kotkaniemi is not a superstar. He is also just 18...barely. He was 17 years old 3 months ago...So no, he is not ready for the NHL and yes, he has a lot to work on. Does he have specific flaws? Perhaps not, but yes, he needs to improve and keep perfecting every aspect of his game. His weakeness is likely his strength.
My enthusiasm lies in the fact that he is just 18 and has the ability to play like he does, I am not used to seeing this from a center at his age wearing a habs jersey. It will be interesting to see how he looks in the first 9 games of the season. This season was a complete write off for me but this kid has the pride stirring the old habs fan in me.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My enthusiasm lies in the fact that he is just 18 and has the ability to play like he does, I am not used to seeing this from a center at his age wearing a habs jersey. It will be interesting to see how he looks in the first 9 games of the season. This season was a complete write off for me but this kid has the pride stirring the old habs fan in me.
That is likely why they want him here, he is something habs can sell to fans, but really he has no business playing in the NHL.

Reactions: OldCraig71

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Pac is at a .72 ppg in his career, Tatar has a .53 ppg in his career. There's a very big difference between a guy that gets you about 60 pts a year on average vs one that gets just over 40 pts a year. Look I couldn't stand to watch Pac but he is what he is, a guy that was frustrating but put up a lot of points.

Only 2 players from the 2007 draft have scored more goals then Pac, Patrick Kane and Benn. Only 3 players have more points, Kane, Benn and Vorachek. Clearly he's one of the best players from the '07 draft, one of the leagues best goal scorers 5 on 5. We'll see how he does this year, I will be shocked if he struggles like last season.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Guys don't be too quick to fall in love with Tatar. This is pre-season. Wait until the season is over. Unless Tatar has changed the guy i saw with the wings will quickly become the whipping boy in Montreal.

yeah I heard he's soft and a perimeter player which isn't what he's showing. would be a shame if this Tatar disappears but it sounds like a very real possibility.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Guys don't be too quick to fall in love with Tatar. This is pre-season. Wait until the season is over. Unless Tatar has changed the guy i saw with the wings will quickly become the whipping boy in Montreal.

Got to agree. Remember all the excitement about Semin in the pre-season three years ago? People were predicting 30 goals. He was released after 15 games. Tatar has looked good but there are reasons why two teams traded him away in the past 7 months.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Got to agree. Remember all the excitement about Semin in the pre-season three years ago? People were predicting 30 goals. He was released after 15 games. Tatar has looked good but there are reasons why two teams traded him away in the past 7 months.

LOL!!! A 1st+ 2nd +3rd is a pretty good reason to trade him don't you think????

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
That is likely why they want him here, he is something habs can sell to fans, but really he has no business playing in the NHL.

What do you mean by no business? what if he can produce while being solid in his own zone? Are the Hurricane going to send Svenchnikov away because he has no business playing in the NHL this year?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What do you mean by no business? what if he can produce while being solid in his own zone? Are the Hurricane going to send Svenchnikov away because he has no business playing in the NHL this year?
I have not watched Sven perform but he and Dahlin were ahead of the rest at the draft. Kotkaniemi is in a lower tier.
Given the make up of our team, the zoo that is likely to be MTL this season, then no, I wouldn't keep him around. I dont see the point. There is no rush, he is not NHL ready, so just send him back so he can play around 20min per game, dominate and excel.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He's the one player that the organization knows will put butts in the seats and bring up tv ratings. Not because he's flashy or makes spectacular plays, but he fills a void at center. But, he's not just a centerman, he's got high IQ and he's elevated his game in a matter of weeks.

To be honest, this season wasn't too appealing to me either. But this kid, is making it really interesting.

And yes, he's going to sell a lot of jerseys.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
yeah I heard he's soft and a perimeter player which isn't what he's showing. would be a shame if this Tatar disappears but it sounds like a very real possibility.

Never heard he was soft and a perimeter player.
I only heard that he had consistent issues. He would go long stretches without producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad