Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 5-2 to the Flyers and it is entirely Le Tricolore's fault

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Mete has 'excellent' skating.

And that's it.

And now, what I'm doing here is not bashing him, I'm just using the right words.

Is he an 'excellent' dman ?

Nope.

#1-2 and some #3 are excellent, or have multiple excellent qualities.

He's mostly our #3 right now, behind Weber and Petry, but it doesn't mean he's a #3 factually. (Petry is our #2 but is more of a #3 in reality)

It mostly mean our defense is pretty bad.

Can he become a 'real' #3 someday ?

Perhaps. Still only what, 20yo ?

But, damn, saying he's 'excellent', come on, Weber is excellent, Petry is on some nights, otherwise, we don't have any dmen who fits that criteria...
The comment was “besides a few games since he’s been back he’s BEEN good to excellent “

Nobody is claiming he’s an “excellent” defenceman, only that he’s been playing very good of late.

It’s so easy to form a negative opinion of players after a bad game.

But let’s keep things in perspective, that was 4 games in 6 nights coming off a back to back that involved travel. Not the most favourable conditions to carve out a victory.

We are 1pt begins the mighty Leafs and tied with Boston. We have more points then Colorado and are 1pt behind Nashville with the same games played.

If I were to present you with these numbers in October, you, or anyone on this board would’ve :biglaugh: at such preposterous proposals

This team, like every other team in the NHL needs a freggin break, but if I had to grade my Montreal Canadiens through the first 50 games, I’d give them an A+ on the final result aspect........Nobody in their right mind expected this

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
The comment was “besides a few games since he’s been back he’s BEEN good to excellent “

Nobody is claiming he’s an “excellent” defenceman, only that he’s been playing very good of late.

But let’s keep things in perspective, that was 4 games in 6 nights coming off a back to back that involved travel. Not the most favourable conditions to carve out a victory.

We are 1pt begins the mighty Leafs and tied with Boston. We have more points then Colorado and are 1pt behind Nashville with the same games played.

If I were to present you with these numbers in October, you, or anyone on this board would’ve :biglaugh: at such preposterous proposals

This team, like every other team in the NHL needs a freggin break, but if I had to grade my Montreal Canadiens through the first 50 games, I’d give them an A+ on the final result aspect........Nobody in their right mind expected this
I agree with you. The only reason I’d give a A- is their inability to score on the PP. Even the worst teams with no offensive stars have better results than us. We don’t have a Superstar but with Weber, Petry and our forwards we should have way better PP results.

Reactions: jaffy27

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The hate for Drouin on this board is insane.

I don't get it either. This board *****es and moans about the lack of skilled players. Then when we get one, he is universally **** on constantly.
They did the same with Galchenyuk. I call this the loser syndrome. People berating individuals of talent or specific highly rated skills because they can't match them or even come close to their level.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They did the same with Galchenyuk. I call this the loser syndrome. People berating individuals of talent or specific highly rated skills because they can't match them or even come close to their level.

Drouin is talent free.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Of course, anything goes right? :eyeroll:

You can really learn something from watching Drouin, specifically, the difference between talent and skill. Drouin is one of the most skilled players in the league. So, what's the explanation for the mediocre results if not that he just doesn't really ''get'' how to play hockey (i.e. doesn't have a lot of talent)?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Comparing Drouin and Gally is absurd. One gives his best on every shift, always goes full tilt, the other doesn't give a shit. Floats around waiting for someone to give him the puck so he can try a few dekes, look sharp and lose the puck. Sure he's got talent, there's no denying that, but he's a lazy f***.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Have a light work day tomorrow and then Monday and Tuesday drill hard on the powerplay and how to play a 2 on 1
Practicing those things won’t do squat. We’re 50 games in. There is no magic formula. It’s the type of players they have. The problem is, they lack a forward who is a good shooter, or at least a good shooter with a shoot first mentality. They have skilled players, guys with good hockey sense, good playmakers, but no real shooters. (Forwards).

Reactions: PaulD

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Too bad they lost against Philly. Now they really need to win vs. the Coyotes on Wednesday.

I hate those kind of games where the team I'm rooting for is playing well but not scoring. That often ends badly.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Tbay would get an A
Jets and FlameS A-

Habs get a generous C-

Where they are in the standings.......Sabres, Islanders, Flames, and Habs are biggest surprises for sure.

As far as the Habs. While they are higher in the standings than anyone thought..........What still holds true is..... In September or today I would still say if the squeak into the play offs they are one and done.

A+ ???? A mere reminder of how much the bar has been lowered for a ton of Hab fans.

I grade a team on how they do against the rest of the league............not how they look compared to last years miserable season.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Not gonna crap on the team for this loss. Their 4th game in 6 nights and the 2nd of a back top back against a rested team. Looks like the lads just ran out of gas tonight. Can't win them all.

If it wasnt for Hart the Habs would have won tonight. They were by far the better team for the first 40 minutes but ran out of gas in the third. Tough loss but I cant fault them too much considering the circumstances.

Reactions: sheed36

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes . But you can gauge very young players too.

Chabot is "still very heffin young" As is Macalvey.

Players don't follow some static upward curve. From 18 to 25, there's a whole spectrum of adaptations. You see some dmen doing great right out of the gate like Doughty and Subban, others like Jones and Hedman take a little more time. Some like Rafalski don't put it all together until they reach their prime years. Petry is another example of that.

People give way too much weight on physical attributes which used to be more important in another era where the pool of players was far less and the training much less sophisticated. Nowadays, players are much closer in actual physical attributes and yeild. What makes the actual difference is much more the hockey IQ. Hockey IQ can very much be upgraded and it's mostly what happens to players between 20 and 25 where their bodies have mostly matured, but their brains still has some ways to go up to 25.

Mete will still be 20 years old once the season is over, as he'll turn 21 in June. He's got 4 to 6 more years where his brain will adapt to the speed of the game. Pretty sure some offense will come along the way.

You do the typical mistake of looking at when everything goes right and thinking that if another player doesn't do as much at the same age, then that player will never reach the same level. Potentials need appropriate cues to bloom, and they are many and come in many ways and while the readiness for adaptation might not be the same, some can reach the same potential with just more time needed.

Also have to remember cases like Tyler Myers, where the adaptation at first seemed great, only to falter afterwards, or cases like Brent Burns who had showed great promise, only to stagnate in his last few seasons in Minny until he got traded and changed for a different environment.

So no, it's way too early to tell, and using examples like Chabot is just foolish if you know anything about development.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Players don't follow some static upward curve. From 18 to 25, there's a whole spectrum of adaptations. You see some dmen doing great right out of the gate like Doughty and Subban, others like Jones and Hedman take a little more time. Some like Rafalski don't put it all together until they reach their prime years. Petry is another example of that.

People give way too much weight on physical attributes which used to be more important in another era where the pool of players was far less and the training much less sophisticated. Nowadays, players are much closer in actual physical attributes and yeild. What makes the actual difference is much more the hockey IQ. Hockey IQ can very much be upgraded and it's mostly what happens to players between 20 and 25 where their bodies have mostly matured, but their brains still has some ways to go up to 25.

Mete will still be 20 years old once the season is over, as he'll turn 21 in June. He's got 4 to 6 more years where his brain will adapt to the speed of the game. Pretty sure some offense will come along the way.

You do the typical mistake of looking at when everything goes right and thinking that if another player doesn't do as much at the same age, then that player will never reach the same level. Potentials need appropriate cues to bloom, and they are many and come in many ways and while the readiness for adaptation might not be the same, some can reach the same potential with just more time needed.

Also have to remember cases like Tyler Myers, where the adaptation at first seemed great, only to falter afterwards, or cases like Brent Burns who had showed great promise, only to stagnate in his last few seasons in Minny until he got traded and changed for a different environment.

So no, it's way too early to tell, and using examples like Chabot is just foolish if you know anything about development.
Yes it is way too early to tell....................if Metis is gonna be a decent Dman.....or below average one.

Examples of other players can be given on both possible scenarios.

To say he is not a very good Dman is premature..................to say he is going to be great.....is also premature.

That much is pretty obvious.

"predicting" That is all the poster did. Was predict. Of course he could be wrong.

Could be right though.

Predictable or unpredictable. The younger they are the harder it is to predict.

Unless you are talking about Chabot, Dahlin, Macalvie, etc etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What a night and day game versus the last couple before it including Niemi and his last one.

I am frustrated with the special teams, especially the PP...they have to find a way to change things up and get it to click.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
What a night and day game versus the last couple before it including Niemi and his last one.

I am frustrated with the special teams, especially the PP...they have to find a way to change things up and get it to click.

PK has been great lately, we were 2nd best in the league before last night’s game in January but the PP on the othe hand, Its just not acceptable, its like their is no strategy at all for the break in, when they finally do get in the zone everybody is static and no general plan, and above all that they execute horrendously!! Somethings got to happen, change the person in charge, chane the strategy completely but do something for god sake!!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
PK has been great lately, we were 2nd best in the league before last night’s game in January but the PP on the othe hand, Its just not acceptable, its like their is no strategy at all for the break in, when they finally do get in the zone everybody is static and no general plan, and above all that they execute horrendously!! Somethings got to happen, change the person in charge, chane the strategy completely but do something for god sake!!

Changing the person in charge could help but it wont be enough. We need to add a first pairing LHD. And not a stay at home home good enough to play with Weber against bottom feeders but a real 1st pairing LHD able to contribute offensively speaking. The forwards we tried at the blue line on the PP really did not work at all.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Where they are in the standings.......Sabres, Islanders, Flames, and Habs are biggest surprises for sure.

As far as the Habs. While they are higher in the standings than anyone thought..........What still holds true is..... In September or today I would still say if the squeak into the play offs they are one and done.

A+ ???? A mere reminder of how much the bar has been lowered for a ton of Hab fans.

I grade a team on how they do against the rest of the league............not how they look compared to last years miserable season.
A+ on performance man!!!...we are right there right in the mix with Toronto, Boston, like tied and 1pt behind in the mix with 30 games to go.

I guess if the bar was set so low and they don’t deserve an A+, where does Toronto sit in regards to a grade??

This is a team that was supposedly gonna contend with TB for #1.....HA!!....they may get surpassed by the Habs who were suppose to finish bottom 10

I’m gonna give the Leafs a C+ for not meeting expectations!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mete has 'excellent' skating.

And that's it.

And now, what I'm doing here is not bashing him, I'm just using the right words.

Is he an 'excellent' dman ?

Nope.

#1-2 and some #3 are excellent, or have multiple excellent qualities.

He's mostly our #3 right now, behind Weber and Petry, but it doesn't mean he's a #3 factually. (Petry is our #2 but is more of a #3 in reality)

It mostly mean our defense is pretty bad.

Can he become a 'real' #3 someday ?

Perhaps. Still only what, 20yo ?

But, damn, saying he's 'excellent', come on, Weber is excellent, Petry is on some nights, otherwise, we don't have any dmen who fits that criteria...

Mete needs further development. Question is, should he have been allowed to continue perfecting in the AHL or are they better off doing it with the big club. I think most of us preferred if they had left him down longer.

He's still only 20 and can't help but think that the Habs are forcing him into a role on account of need and would have given him more time had they been rostering a true no. 1 LHD. He's been better than since being called up compared to when he was demoted but the better choice would have been to let him hone his skills in the AHL. Maybe having him up with the big club this year buys Bergevin time and doesn't force his hand to deal for that no. 1 LHD until the summer.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I agree with you. The only reason I’d give a A- is their inability to score on the PP. Even the worst teams with no offensive stars have better results than us. We don’t have a Superstar but with Weber, Petry and our forwards we should have way better PP results.
Again, the A+ is on results as in standings. But I totally agree with you on your grade!!! :thumbu:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes . But you can gauge very young players too.

Chabot is "still very heffin young" As is Macalvey.

That's just the thing with Mete. How much of his offensive blackhole is due to lack of development vs. what his ceiling may be. He'll definitely get better over time and his skating is elite. But, what about his offensive ability?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad