Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 5-2 to the Flyers and it is entirely Le Tricolore's fault

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's just the thing with Mete. How much of his offensive blackhole is due to lack of development vs. what his ceiling may be. He'll definitely get better over time and his skating his elite. But, what about his offensive ability?
Did he have some offense when he played with the London Knights? He was also on Team Canada, the kid must have had some numbers with that skating ability?

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
That's just the thing with Mete. How much of his offensive blackhole is due to lack of development vs. what his ceiling may be. He'll definitely get better over time and his skating his elite. But, what about his offensive ability?

I think if we look at results only since he came back its true that he didnt produce offensively but the eye test is telling me that he should start producing a little offensively if he keeps creating chances like that.

Defensively hes playing alot better closing gaps perfectly and using his speed and stick to win puck battles and thats what he needs to do with his lack of size.

I dont think he will ever produce more then 30-35pts a season, but if he can become a Vatanen type of dman for us, it would be great.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did he have some offense when he played with the London Knights? He was also on Team Canada, the kid must have had some numbers with that skating ability?

Yes, with the London Knights in 2016-17 and also in 2015-16.

Reactions: jaffy27 and BLONG7

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Changing the person in charge could help but it wont be enough. We need to add a first pairing LHD. And not a stay at home home good enough to play with Weber against bottom feeders but a real 1st pairing LHD able to contribute offensively speaking. The forwards we tried at the blue line on the PP really did not work at all.

Well i like the way they were setting up against Florida when Drouin was Alone at the point in the middle when he fake slapped and passed to Weber who was in the Ovi’s spot. But they’re is so many other problems to fix, we always loose the faceoff to start with and then zone entrees are terrible, we dont have any setups down low so we cant open seems for Weber’s one timer and etc etc

I dont say we should be on top of the league, but no way we cant be middle of the pack with Weber’s shot+ Domi And Drouin passing + Gallagher tipping skills a good PP coach would be able to do something decent with that!!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well i like the way they were setting up against Florida when Drouin was Alone at the point in the middle when he fake slapped and passed to Weber who was in the Ovi’s spot. But they’re is so many other problems to fix, we always loose the faceoff to start with and then zone entrees are terrible, we dont have any setups down low so we cant open seems for Weber’s one timer and etc etc

I dont say we should be on top of the league, but no way we cant be middle of the pack with Weber’s shot+ Domi And Drouin passing + Gallagher tipping skills a good PP coach would be able to do something decent with that!!

Weber is not good at zone entry so it's kind of the resp0nsability of the other dman. Add prime Markov to this PP and you totally transform it.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Weber is not good at zone entry so it's kind of the resp0nsability of the other dman. Add prime Markov to this PP and you totally transform it.

Yeah, he should definitely not touch the puck unless its for bombing it. Domi or Kotka should be the guy getting the puck in the zone.. I would love to see Kotka on the right half wall on the 1st PP also

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
From what I have seen. 2nd pair decent Dman will be his ceiling.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Disappointing loss, but I could see this coming.

Going 3-1 on a 4 game in 6 night stretch is still very good overall.

You could tell they were gassed after the 1st period, and the flyers took advantage of that. When you see guys like Gallagher reaching with their sticks rather than moving their legs, you know the gas tank is empty.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I felt it was a horrible trade when it happened and I still think it was a horrible trade.
thats a tad harsh.....we didn’t trade Sergachev for John Scott.....he’s still on pace for a very good offensive season and we are flirting with the playoffs

I’d go as far as saying we should’ve gotten something better.....

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That's just the thing with Mete. How much of his offensive blackhole is due to lack of development vs. what his ceiling may be. He'll definitely get better over time and his skating is elite. But, what about his offensive ability?
I think with Mete it’s just a lack of finish....needs a bit more pop in that shot of his and experience plus confidence will go a long way into him being able to start and finish plays that end with him accumulating points.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think with Mete it’s just a lack of finish....needs a bit more pop in that shot of his and experience plus confidence will go a long way into him being able to start and finish plays that end with him accumulating points.

Six points in 39 NHL games for Mete this season. No goals in 88 NHL career games.

When a player possesses offensive acumen, he typically shows it before the 88 game mark. I don't know, he's much more likely to remain a one-way player.

Reactions: PaulD and jaffy27

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Six points in 39 NHL games for Mete this season. No goals in 88 NHL career games.

When a player possesses offensive acumen, he typically shows it before the 88 game mark. I don't know, he's much more likely to remain a one-way player.

I guess the reason I still hold hope for him to be somewhat of an offensive asset is because unlike most players who can't score, Mete has displayed the ability to get himself in good scoring situations, especially in transition. He just can't finish, like at all.

One thing that is apparent is that he will always have trouble scoring from the blueline. He possesses an absolute muffin of a shot, but his skating and smarts should allow him to score a few in transition, and I think he needs to get this monkey off his back before we see more success from it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Most of those players start much later than 19 years old.

Jeff Petry had 5 points in his first 35 games at the age of 23. Had 25 in 76 at age 24.

You can't just look at game mark and make a conclusion solely based on that. Mete started pretty young with no stepping stone into the AHL, he went from OHL speed of play directly to the NHL, 4 years earlier than a guy like Petry did.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most of those players start much later than 19 years old.

Jeff Petry had 5 points in his first 35 games at the age of 23. Had 25 in 76 at age 24.

You can't just look at game mark and make a conclusion solely based on that. Mete started pretty young with no stepping stone into the AHL, he went from OHL speed of play directly to the NHL, 4 years earlier than a guy like Petry did.

What about his shot? Does that get any better over time?

I mean, not everyone can be a goal scorer from the blue line. Petry has a good shot. Would you say the lack of a shot precludes him from being first pairing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad