Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 4-1, needs more line combos

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
I have a question:

Instead of just adjusting the woefully bad PP units, why did Therrien also proceed to blow up every single line combination this past week?! The PP has been the main unaddressed problem for the past year, not the lines. :help:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Marchand is quite faster and more talented than Gallagher. He has more hands, more passing skills and on a straight line, I think it's fair to say Marchand is the quickest guy. Marchand also has a physical game Gallagher just doesn't have.

Marchand is a little bit better but i think he is a little bit overrated himself. He is good in the regular season but in the playoffs save for the 2011 playoffs he was not great. Last year in the playoffs he was rather pathetic.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's a good 2nd liner but he will never be anything more than that. Gionta was a better goal scorer than Gallagher but Gallagher crashes the net way more than Giostyle ever did.

How can you say that? At 22 Gionta scored 4 goals in 31 games for the Devils and 9 goals in 37 games in the AHL. At 23 Gionta scored 12 goals for the Devils. You can't compare a guy in his prime to a guy at 22.

I agree he is a 2nd liner and will likely not improve but saying he can't improve is a little bit unfair. Gionta at 22-23 was far from a good valuable player. His first real good top 6 material season was in 2005 and he was 26 ...

Nynja*

He's not wrong for once...Its nigh impossible to develop chemistry when you dont even know whos going to be hopping over the boards with you.

Pricef*

Habs lost night last night breaking their longest road winning streak in the last 30 years. Lets fire the coach. ****ing brilliant!! This place is an embarrassment sometimes.:shakehead

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Being young has little to do with how much some players can still improve. I think it's fair to suggest Gallagher has hit his peak, since there doesn't seem to be any attribute of his that might make him a better player than he is now.

As for a "carbon copy of Gionta", while at some point in his career Gionta was a valuable player, I don't think people here value him at that level. Many consider him an untouchable and a core player. I just beg to disagree. I see a decent player, but not an untouchable of a core guy there.
He's a solid player who's part of the core. Untouchable? No way.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I agree he's probably overvalued by some Hab fans but there's still nothing really wrong with him or what he brings, even if he doesn't improve to a 30 goal scorer (especially considering the price he's signed for). There's a difference between saying he's "not as valuable as most fans think" (fair) and making him sound like he brings nothing beyond a decent shot and a penchant for goaltender interference penalties.

I'll still say this though, I don't see how he contributes besides having a good shot and being skilled around the bluepaint. The rest of his game is sub-par at best.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Despite the back to back, the Habs didn't look tired last night. They looked like a bunch of individuals that haven't practiced with their linemates. Wonder why that is...

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Gallagher needs to GTFO the PP though, Pacioretty/Plek/Chucky first unit and put whatever on the second unit... all he does is take awful, low percentage shots and rushes the puck back to the defense. Caused a penalty with his brutal pass to Markov and caused another semi-breakaway with a brutal pass to Gonchar I believe.

Disagree.
Gallagher should stay on the PP.
His play in front of the net screening the goalie is excellent.
He doesn't always get an assist but Maxpac and Subban's goals are often a result of Gallagher's screens.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Habs lost night last night breaking their longest road winning streak in the last 30 years. Lets fire the coach. ****ing brilliant!! This place is an embarrassment sometimes.:shakehead

:handclap:
SPOT ON !

All season long we have been at the top of the standings.
We made it to the 3rd round in the playoffs.
Longest road win streak in 30 years.

But the keyboard warriors know better than Therrien what it takes to win.
So let's fire him!

Look at the disasters that occur to teams that fire their coaches.
It is very rare that they improve.
:shakehead

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Constant whining and crying on here.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure what's worse; the Canadiens' power play or the bickering on these boards after a win or loss.

ps. I'm not complaining about the complaining just highlighting how insane it is around here this season especially. I'm not sure what's going on, maybe people have just dug into their stance more than usual but it's gotta stop with the constant bickering. It's becoming unbearable to even come around here for a lot of us. Perhaps a break from *****ing for a week?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Marinaro: Habs are making me lose my mind

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/marinaro-habs-are-making-me-lose-my-mind-1.184190

That Weise's pieces comment near the end made me lose it. :laugh:

I don't agree with John who called in at the end and said Eller is the one that needs to go and not DD. :help:

That fellow ain't off the mark. As much as we can laugh at our own patience issues here on hfboards, I can't disagree with the notion that Therrien showed quite a bit of panic because of two losses to good teams.

That's a nnooooobbbbbbb move.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Only managed to catch the third period.

Kinda glad I did.

I hate Therrien more than ever.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'm not sure what's worse; the Canadiens' power play or the bickering on these boards after a win or loss.

ps. I'm not complaining about the complaining just highlighting how insane it is around here this season especially. I'm not sure what's going on, maybe people have just dug into their stance more than usual but it's gotta stop with the constant bickering. It's becoming unbearable to even come around here for a lot of us. Perhaps a break from *****ing for a week?
I agree but with one caveat.

It's the NHL's fault. The schedule is so jacked up that there is too much time between games so the disagreements simmer and fester. Too much time to think.

Compounding the problem is the back to back games. Too little time to think.

Yep, the posters here are sane. It's the League's fault. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad