Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 4-1, needs more line combos

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
3 years now he has the habs amongst the best in the league. so yeah, it does.

You mean Price does.

The only coach I can thank for the Habs record is Stephane Waite.

Anyways, the 9ers got rid of their coach who took them to 3 straight championship games so I have hope that MT can get canned despite having a good record. Maybe next year.

Sant

Dec 3, 2008
montreal
Since last year, Desharnais has played 30 games away fomr MAX.....7pts in 30 games.

i was under the impression by certain so called ''knowledgable fans'' that patches cant play without DD. that its DD who does all the work and patches wouldnt be as good without DD.

i mean, how can patches even have chemistry with anyone else besides DD. They complete eachother. Theyre chemistry is unique and undeniable

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Wow what an animal that Galchenyuk is, took what i thought was a charge/roughing from Bobby Ryan got blown up and got right back up. Would take that guy on my team every day and twice on Sundays. Anyways looking forward to the next game and hope you guys can rep Canada East very well in the playoffs!

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
You mean Price does.

The only coach I can thank for the Habs record is Stephane Waite.

Anyways, the 9ers got rid of their coach who took them to 3 straight championship games so I have hope that MT can get canned despite having a good record. Maybe next year.

and the league is filled with good slashes decent and experienced coaches getting the boot because of bad goaltending. It cuts both ways...

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Since last year, Desharnais has played 30 games away fomr MAX.....7pts in 30 games.

And Max has 7 goals in 6 games without DD...

Remember when people claimed that DD is our best offensive center, remember when people said Pacioretty can't produce without DD, remember when a 30k posts member claimed Pacioretty is a normal 20 goals player without DD.

Good times..

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Wow what an animal that Galchenyuk is, took what i thought was a charge/roughing from Bobby Ryan got blown up and got right back up. Would take that guy on my team every day and twice on Sundays. Anyways looking forward to the next game and hope you guys can rep Canada East very well in the playoffs!

Which he spells thusly, for a double dose of pimping :laugh:

Sorry love the username

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
And Max has 7 goals in 6 games without DD...

Remember when people claimed that DD is our best offensive center, remember when people said Pacioretty can't produce without DD, remember when a 30k posts member claimed Pacioretty is a normal 20 goals player without DD.

Good times..

Yep....still waiting for Desharnais to turn ANY of his new linesmates into a 30 goals scorers like he did with Cole all by himself....Yet, 2 assists in 14 games without Max this year.

The best passer, the best vision.....can't get more than that? Cause all i'm hearing is how well he's playing lately.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So Pacioretty is the only person in this team that can score. Nice.

TRADE THE WHINER!!!1111one1!

Seriously though, 21 goals in 43 games is just impressive. For the second straight year, he scores twice the amount of goals as the next goal scorer on the team. He's dominant.

On a 40 goals pace with one of the worst offensive teams in the league, imagine if he played with a Crosby. He'd be in Rocket Richard Trophy finalists. Best sniper this team has developed since Richer. And his game is even more complete than the other guy.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Missed the game.
Sounds like I picked a good one to skip!

Saw that Plek got a misconduct penalty at the end.
What happened?
cheers!

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Missed the game.
Sounds like I picked a good one to skip!

Saw that Plek got a misconduct penalty at the end.
What happened?
cheers!

He got kicked out of the dot in an important face-off late in the game and probably said not so nice words to the linesman.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Brutal game but the team usually bounces back after performances like this, huge game versus the Islanders tomorrow so hopefully they forget about this one and come out ready to play.

Gallagher needs to GTFO the PP though, Pacioretty/Plek/Chucky first unit and put whatever on the second unit... all he does is take awful, low percentage shots and rushes the puck back to the defense. Caused a penalty with his brutal pass to Markov and caused another semi-breakaway with a brutal pass to Gonchar I believe.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Brutal game but the team usually bounces back after performances like this, huge game versus the Islanders tomorrow so hopefully they forget about this one and come out ready to play.

Gallagher needs to GTFO the PP though, Pacioretty/Plek/Chucky first unit and put whatever on the second unit... all he does is take awful, low percentage shots and rushes the puck back to the defense. Caused a penalty with his brutal pass to Markov and caused another semi-breakaway with a brutal pass to Gonchar I believe.

Doesn't that remind you of someone? *cough* Brian Gionta *cough*

Sooner than later, when the "OMGZ HE'S SO YOUNG!" aura around him will start to fade away, Habs fans will see him for what he really is. A guy with a decent shot whose only special talent is playing in the bluepaint, talent that makes him one of the most penalized player in the league in such situation. A carbon copy of Gionta who does wristers instead of slappers.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

That's probably the worst game I've seen of Gallagher since he is playing for us.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One positive last night aside from Tokarski was Beaulieu I thought he was very solid again, he made 2 excellent plays to prevent breakaways. His speed is a huge upgrade to our slower, older defence.. hopefully soon he can start providing more offensively but my guess is the coaching staff just want him to play it safe right now and take care of the defensive side of the puck first.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Sooner than later, when the "OMGZ HE'S SO YOUNG!" aura around him will start to fade away, Habs fans will see him for what he really is. A guy with a decent shot whose only special talent is playing in the bluepaint, talent that makes him one of the most penalized player in the league in such situation. A carbon copy of Gionta who does wristers instead of slappers.

A guy scoring at a 20 goal pace his first three years in the league despite only being 22? A potential 30 goal scorer?

"A carbon copy of Gionta" is still a perfectly useful and valuable player, if you would put your own biases aside for two seconds.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

He's a good 2nd liner but he will never be anything more than that. Gionta was a better goal scorer than Gallagher but Gallagher crashes the net way more than Giostyle ever did.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
In the last 5 games only 3 Habs forwards have scored goals. Pacioretty with 6 goals in the 5 games and 1 goal each from DD and Weise. The rest of the forwards have fell off a cliff offensively.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
So Pacioretty is the only person in this team that can score. Nice.
Yes. Lots of passengers. Gallagher and Prust still work hard. Tokarski needs protection but doesn't get it. Games on successive nights? Habs could have played better. Shabby.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's a good 2nd liner but he will never be anything more than that. Gionta was a better goal scorer than Gallagher but Gallagher crashes the net way more than Giostyle ever did.

He reminds me of Marchand as they are both very effective at even strength, but aren't good on the PP because they lack patience and vision. They are effective at even strength because they play strong north/south games where they get chances from moving their feet always and going to dirty areas, but in order to be effective on the PP you need to have the vision and patience not to just make blind passes and take low percentage shots.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
A guy scoring at a 20 goal pace his first three years in the league despite only being 22? A potential 30 goal scorer?

"A carbon copy of Gionta" is still a perfectly useful and valuable player, if you would put your own biases aside for two seconds.

Being young has little to do with how much some players can still improve. I think it's fair to suggest Gallagher has hit his peak, since there doesn't seem to be any attribute of his that might make him a better player than he is now.

As for a "carbon copy of Gionta", while at some point in his career Gionta was a valuable player, I don't think people here value him at that level. Many consider him an untouchable and a core player. I just beg to disagree. I see a decent player, but not an untouchable of a core guy there.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He reminds me of Marchand as they are both very effective at even strength, but aren't good on the PP because they lack patience and vision. They are effective at even strength because they play strong north/south games where they get chances from moving their feet always and going to dirty areas, but in order to be effective on the PP you need to have the vision and patience not to just make blind passes and take low percentage shots.

Marchand is quite faster and more talented than Gallagher. He has more hands, more passing skills and on a straight line, I think it's fair to say Marchand is the quickest guy. Marchand also has a physical game Gallagher just doesn't have.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Hasn't everybody been screaming for some physical forwards for the top nine? We have exactly two physical forwards on the roster, Weise and Prust. So If you want physical forwards in the top nine by default these are going to be your guys. Neither one of them play the power-play so obviously Therrien doesn't think they are offensive solutions. They are there to provide some size and grit for lines that have none.

The problem is when they're in the top 9 they forget they're there for size and grit and don't want to risk their spot by sitting in the box so they become just as soft as the rest, they're a step away from offensive black holes - especially Prust

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Being young has little to do with how much some players can still improve. I think it's fair to suggest Gallagher has hit his peak, since there doesn't seem to be any attribute of his that might make him a better player than he is now.

As for a "carbon copy of Gionta", while at some point in his career Gionta was a valuable player, I don't think people here value him at that level. Many consider him an untouchable and a core player. I just beg to disagree. I see a decent player, but not an untouchable of a core guy there.

I agree he's probably overvalued by some Hab fans but there's still nothing really wrong with him or what he brings, even if he doesn't improve to a 30 goal scorer (especially considering the price he's signed for). There's a difference between saying he's "not as valuable as most fans think" (fair) and making him sound like he brings nothing beyond a decent shot and a penchant for goaltender interference penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad