Post-Game Talk: Habs loooooose in Nashville

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Most people here don’t care about the losses. Its the HOW we’re losing, especially in regards to our vets and their contracts. This is a hot mess, and no easy way out.

Even with Bedard we’re ****** for a few years.
Vets, they have holes everywhere. They are playing 4 or 5 rookie D every night. They have a backup goalie and an AHL starter. The team lacks talent, vets and their contracts have started to peel off and will continue this summer.

The biggest problem this team has at the moment is zero structure or systems and that is on MSL.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Just heard MSL’s presser. PK would be our big problem. Otherwise, playing defense in our zone. That’s it. Ouch...

If we fix those 2 problems, we still need 2 goals from CC and we still have the worst PP in the NHL. I see no end to these losses.

Bonus: MSL likes our forwards’ transition game tonight.
I’ll bite.

What is he supposed to say? « I coach a bunch of gutless pukes? Our veterans are shit, the last GM overpaid them, and we have no goalies. » !?

There’s nothing he can say except try to find at least one positive.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Vets, they have holes everywhere. They are playing 4 or 5 rookie D every night. They have a backup goalie and an AHL starter. The team lacks talent, vets and their contracts have started to peel off and will continue this summer.

The biggest problem this team has at the moment is zero structure or systems and that is on MSL.
Your first paragraph I agree with 100%.

The second, not at all. There’s no talent. The guys with experience have no compete, and the young guys need experience. There’s not much MSL can do.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Agree with this completely. Essentially what I was going to post. A team that lacks this much skill requires structure, and this team does not have it at all. MSL is challenging them to make plays, but this isn't the team for that style of game.

The player usage is beyond bizarre. Barron on the PK? But, not the PP? :help:

Special Teams are awful and that is definitely on the coaches.

Defensive zone structure is awful. Again, something that coaches can correct. We continuously allow odd man chances & open looks in the slot area.

Anderson was clearing the slot at one point in the 3rd, essentially acting as a defenseman. This happened to Slafkovsky in a game prior to Christmas. Are you kidding me?

This coaching staff is not helping this team at all.
It has to be part of the plan!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I can't remember the last time I saw such a collection of gutless wankers on this team. Looks like Cole and Anderson give a damn, Arbs.. anyone else? How about a bit of emotion? These guys don't mind getting waxed 6 games in a row? Doesn't show out there. If this team didn't have Cole, where would they be?

6-0?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
[1] Vets, they have holes everywhere. They are playing 4 or 5 rookie D every night. They have a backup goalie and an AHL starter. The team lacks talent, vets and their contracts have started to peel off and will continue this summer.

[2] The biggest problem this team has at the moment is zero structure or systems and that is on MSL.
In the first part, you're describing an absolutely **** roster.

In the second part, you're blaming it on the coach.

:huh:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Most people here don’t care about the losses. Its the HOW we’re losing, especially in regards to our vets and their contracts. This is a hot mess, and no easy way out.

Gallagher's contract is literally the only problematic one moving forward.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
I love MSL as a coach, he's accomplishing exactly what we need. You guys don't know it but he's in on the tank, he wants Bedard baby.

I also love the annoyance I'm seeing out of the perennially wrong super posters, it means we're heading in the right direction. Embrace the tank, you'll drink less, be happier, and live longer to see the end result. Let's gooooooo.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Your first paragraph I agree with 100%.

The second, not at all. There’s no talent. The guys with experience have no compete, and the young guys need experience. There’s not much MSL can do.

No true. There is plenty MSL can do. They have ZERO structure in their own end, they give up a million two/three on ones, the PK sucks, etc.

A team with little talent can compete, they won’t win a majority of games but will be in them if they are defensively sound.

Said it when he was hired, MSL was to sell tickets, and is in way over his head.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Sure. If you forget Price, Armia, and Hoffman.

Price is LTIRed. Not an issue whatsoever. His cap hit only counts during the summer.

Hoffman has 1 year left and will be tradeable at 50% retention next season.

Armia has 2 years left and can be used on the 4th line, as a 13th forward, or even be burried in the ahl with only 2.4 M of his cap hit counting. Again, not an issue.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Price is LTIRed. Not an issue whatsoever. His cap hit only counts during the summer.

Hoffman has 1 year left and will be tradeable at 50% retention next season.

Armia has 2 years left and can be used on the 4th line, as a 13th forward, or even be burried in the ahl with only 2.4 M of his cap hit counting. Again, not an issue.
Because we’re a garbage team in the beginning of a 4 year rebuild, sure. But to any regular team they’re a problem.

They’re untradeable. Name me one team who’ll trade for Hoffman next year (a real trade, not paying to see him go like Calgary did with Monahan)

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Out of the 13 goals Montembault has given up his last 2 starts, I can maybe pick 2 where he maybe should’ve stopped them. And that’s if I’m really cherry picking. Allen looked like he mailed it in against Washington. We have historic level bad defence from the forwards to the defenceman. It’s just disgusting.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
In the first part, you're describing an absolutely **** roster.

In the second part, you're blaming it on the coach.

:huh:

They play with ZERO structure and that is on the coach. A team with little talent can’t play creative or free flowing. They are lost on their side of the red line and that is on MSL.

A good coach can teach an under skilled team to be defensively sound. This team is a mess in their own end

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Because we’re a garbage team in the beginning of a 4 year rebuild, sure. But to any regular team they’re a problem.

If we're not a regular team, then what's the issue?

They’re untradeable. Name me one team who’ll trade for Hoffman next year (a real trade, not paying to see him go like Calgary did with Monahan)

A 20 goalscorer rental at 2.25 M and likely for cheap? Several teams will be interested. The oilers would be one of them.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
If we're not a regular team, then what's the issue?

A 20 goalscorer rental at 2.25 M and likely for cheap? Several teams will be interested. The oilers would be one of them.
1. Will take a lot longer to get out of this mess because of those contracts, and it’s keeping guys out of the lineup/where they could/should be. Why is Slafkovsky not playing more? Why is Ylonen still in the AHL? Why is RHP not getting NHL games? Those garbage vets.

2. We’ll see. Hope you’re right, but those scouts and GMs see how many goals he’s costing us. He’s a net negative.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
sure, but that's not the biggest problem on the team. the biggest problem is the roster itself

Yes the roster bad, but hiring a pee wee coach and then surrounding him with newbs isn’t a great idea.

MSL is so in over his head and it shows. A bad coach trying to manage a young inexperienced team with a ton of holes in the line up and this is the end result. Since I’m all for the tank, it works for me.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I don't think he is.

He was 28 in 24 before Monahan's injury. 4 in 12 after.

I don't think it's coincidence.
That's a very shallow way of looking at it. I'm just talking about the eye test. Plays that would normally come easily to him are escaping him along with him being a step behind where he usually is. If he was getting countless opportunities but not capitalizing, I'd say it's just a cold streak and his shooting percentage had to come down eventually but it's not even that

Reactions: Big Lurk

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's a very shallow way of looking at it. I'm just talking about the eye test. Plays that would normally come easily to him are escaping him along with him being a step behind where he usually is. If he was getting countless opportunities but not capitalizing, I'd say it's just a cold streak and his shooting percentage had to come down eventually but it's not even that
I agree, he looks like a ghost. Never said otherwise.

But that happened exactly when Monahan went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad