Post-Game Talk: Habs loooooose in Nashville

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
There seems to be this preconception that tanking can be pretty.

There is no such thing. Tanking to the very bottom is ugly, chaotic, and hopeless. If you are experiencing "pretty" losses, then you aren't going to be finishing in the basement because too many of those potential losses will turn into ot points or wins.
Pretty tank

1672862712713.png

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

There is no such thing. Tanking to the very bottom is ugly, chaotic, and hopeless. If you are experiencing "pretty" losses, then you aren't going to be finishing in the basement because too many of those potential losses will turn into ot points or wins.

Pretty losses, are you kidding me????? I’m expecting them not to get run out of the rink. I’m expecting them to play with a system, to be in the game past the 3 minute mark, and for the young guys not to be destroyed night after night.

It’s ok to lose, it’s not ok to lose 9/8/7/6 to 2 every single night. The have zero system or structure to their game and that is bad. MSL is a bad coach and not right for this team. In fact, MTL has the worst staff in the entire league by far.

Pretty, how about not destroyed each and every night! Getting runout of the building isn’t good either. Doesn’t look like NS, CC or any of the kids are learning anything but watching the puck go in their net. MSL sucks!

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Suzuki is way over played. He does the PK. He double shifts. He plays 1:30 on the PP. He does all key offensive faceoffs, even all offensive faceoffs (not the key ones only) in certain games. I believe Tortorella did the same thing with Lecavalier at the peak of his career. I think that's where the idea comes from. Since Monahan is down, MSL thinks the only way to win games is squeezing Suzuki to oblivion.
I guess what would be the result squezzing Dvorak to oblivion, lol.
Or Evans, lol more.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty losses, are you kidding me????? I’m expecting them not to get run out of the rink. I’m expecting them to play with a system, to be in the game past the 3 minute mark, and for the young guys not to be destroyed night after night.

It’s ok to lose, it’s not ok to lose 9/8/7/6 to 2 every single night. The have zero system or structure to their game and that is bad. MSL is a bad coach and not right for this team. In fact, MTL has the worst staff in the entire league by far.

Pretty, how about not destroyed each and every night! Getting runout of the building isn’t good either. Doesn’t look like NS, CC or any of the kids are learning anything but watching the puck go in their net. MSL sucks!

Did you see Colorado's goal differential just a few years ago? (with the same coach they have today)

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

if anything, we had way too much of these during this season lol

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Did you see Colorado's goal differential just a few years ago? (with the same coach they have today)

Yeah, and that guy Bednar actually had AST & Head coaching experience at the professional level. He was then and now miles ahead of MSL. Not even a comparison, one is a real professional coach, the other a pee wee coach hired to sell tickets.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, and that guy Bednar actually had AST & Head coaching experience at the professional level. He was then and now miles ahead of MSL. Not even a comparison, one is a real professional coach, the other a pee wee coach hired to sell tickets.

That Colorado team was the same one that montreal thumped 10-1 regardless of what his coaching resume looked like.... And they had many similarly ugly nights.

I don't know if msl is good or bad, but he will he given the time to grow into it as the roster also grows. We will see down the road if he good, bad or whatever in between.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Suzuki is way over played. He does the PK. He double shifts. He plays 1:30 on the PP. He does all key offensive faceoffs, even all offensive faceoffs (not the key ones only) in certain games. I believe Tortorella did the same thing with Lecavalier at the peak of his career. I think that's where the idea comes from. Since Monahan is down, MSL thinks the only way to win games is squeezing Suzuki to oblivion.

And I remember that come playoff time, Vinny looked completely burned out. Torto was managing his guys badly. I think he's a good coach and over time he learned. But back then pushing his guys resulted in some success but also some failure because of that very fact. And Vinny had terrible pluses and minuses. Maybe cause he had his tongue on the floor when he backchecked. lol

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
While I applaud your passion, you didn‘t offer a solution. Who would be a better choice, available now, for Montreal? Personally, not ready for another round of AV, CJ or MT…

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
While I applaud your passion, you didn‘t offer a solution. Who would be a better choice, available now, for Montreal? Personally, not ready for another round of AV, CJ or MT…

During mid season is difficult but Luke Richardson was right there for the job. Surely there were plenty of AST (nhl) and guys in the AHL that were available. Better than a Pee Wee coach, reminds me when they went with Mario and clowns.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
you are probably the type of guy that believes cups are won with finesse and the other team will respect a player because he's a 'nice guy' on and off the ice. When Cole or Nick are obliviated on the ice, the crying from the 'woke hockey fan' will be fun to watch as the wonder how this could have possibly happened.

You don't need 5 fighters, but you need 5-7 players that can at least finish a check and make life miserable out there. I would take 5 Pezettas over 5 Drouins, Armias and Hoffmans. And whatever team lands Bedard, you can bet they insulate him with size and an ounce of forecheck, because that's what a winning franchise would do.

But hey lets follow the same formula that ha made this franchise so successful since 93. Soft , small teams that can skate, but that's about it.
The Hell? Where did I say you don't need sandpaper to win cups. That's part of building a good team. But you need skill first. Then sandpaper. The Looch and Reaves thing was a joke, though, TBH , if we trade Josh Anderson, I wouldn't mind grabbing a Reaves type to help protect the youngins and ensure Wifi doesn't have to do everything.

However, right now, I'm ok with losing every single game until the end of the season. Bedard plz.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Just more growing pains during a rebuild. I don’t get why so many on here get all tied up in knots. They have holes everywhere and it will take a couple years before this gets much better.

It’s part of the process. If anyone thought Hugo could turn this around in one season you were fooling yourself.

The only criticism I have of the new regime is the coaching staff. All greenhorns with very little NHL coaching experience. IMO, they need an experienced staff that can implement decent systems. They lack skill and need structure to compensate. The inexperienced coaching staff is a problem
They are stretched pretty thin with everyone healthy. With Suzuki limping, Monahan out, Guhle out some games and not fully healthy the habs can’t compete at all. Shows what happens when Guhle isn’t available and all the D move up a tier.

This year’s play shows there is still building to do, especially as Monahan is unlikely to be around long term. On the other hand it shows Guhle is a keeper, most of the D, including Savard, can handle sheltered minutes, and the top line only needs a little support to excel.

Rebuild is on track. Lots of forwards to evaluate the next year or two, once they fill out the second and third lines they need a top pairing D and an adequate goalie. Not a slam dunk, but maybe a contested layup? There is hope.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

The team only has a few of the players they need. When everyone is healthy they can play a bit over 500 if the schedule is easy and they play some teams on cold streaks.

When their top D and second center are out they will lose big. Suzuki looks hobbled as well.

Colorado looked pretty bad at times 5 years ago, it didn’t kill their rebuild.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The team only has a few of the players they need. When everyone is healthy they can play a bit over 500 if the schedule is easy and they play some teams on cold streaks.

When their top D and second center are out they will lose big. Suzuki looks hobbled as well.

Colorado looked pretty bad at times 5 years ago, it didn’t kill their rebuild.

This roster will lose much more than they will win. What I am not seeing is any structure. Great CC and NS have been given the green light to push forward but what else have we seen, nothing!

I’ll say it again, a good coach can teach a poor squad to play sound defensively. This team looks worse than they did under DD.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
This roster will lose much more than they will win. What I am not seeing is any structure. Great CC and NS have been given the green light to push forward but what else have we seen, nothing!

I’ll say it again, a good coach can teach a poor squad to play sound defensively. This team looks worse than they did under DD.
The habs have had a series of defensive coaches, and they didn’t get the most out of the team. MSL is there to try to get the players to grow, not hammer max defence out of them. With Guhle out there isn’t anyone who can handle opposing top lines so they’ll lose badly, whatever the strategy.

The team is thin, and they can’t cope with injuries.

The good news is they have one top D and 2-3 good Fs though they are likely to trade Monahan. They really need another good forward or two and a shutdown line. The top guys will have to come from picks and prospects. Shutdown guys and goalies are often available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad