Post-Game Talk: Habs loooooose in Nashville

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Just more growing pains during a rebuild. I don’t get why so many on here get all tied up in knots. They have holes everywhere and it will take a couple years before this gets much better.

It’s part of the process. If anyone thought Hugo could turn this around in one season you were fooling yourself.

The only criticism I have of the new regime is the coaching staff. All greenhorns with very little NHL coaching experience. IMO, they need an experienced staff that can implement decent systems. They lack skill and need structure to compensate. The inexperienced coaching staff is a problem

Agree with this completely. Essentially what I was going to post. A team that lacks this much skill requires structure, and this team does not have it at all. MSL is challenging them to make plays, but this isn't the team for that style of game.

The player usage is beyond bizarre. Barron on the PK? But, not the PP? :help:

Special Teams are awful and that is definitely on the coaches.

Defensive zone structure is awful. Again, something that coaches can correct. We continuously allow odd man chances & open looks in the slot area.

Anderson was clearing the slot at one point in the 3rd, essentially acting as a defenseman. This happened to Slafkovsky in a game prior to Christmas. Are you kidding me?

This coaching staff is not helping this team at all.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Even though this is hilarious, I dont even think prime Price could salvage this team at this point.
I feel sorry for Prime Price.

He was an animal..

You gotta remember something though..

Anyone who thinks GMS were just going to let montreal Build around Price so they could win a cup is out to lunch..

GMS around the league were JEALOUS montreal had price..

It;s such a dog eat dog business..

Suprised Hughes got an unprotected first..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed...but another criticism I have is Hugo maybe overplaying his hand too much.

All summer he kept saying how he had so many offers for Anderson. - is that still the case now?

Same for Monahan - should have traded him when he was playing well and injury free. Now who knows what’s gonna happen.

Also still don’t like the fact that we have too many of the same scouts left from the Bozovin regime. The fact that Lapointe seems to carry a lot of weight bothers me.
That may just have been HuGo posturing. Not sure if there's a benefit from a GM claiming there is a lot of interest in a player -- conceivably, other GMs in the running should have a pretty good pulse if the market is bearing it out. They're all talking to the same people in the end, it comes around.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Agree with this completely. Essentially what I was going to post. A team that lacks this much skill requires structure, and this team does not have it at all. MSL is challenging them to make plays, but this isn't the team for that style of game.

The player usage is beyond bizarre. Barron on the PK? But, not the PP? :help:

Special Teams are awful and that is definitely on the coaches.

Defensive zone structure is awful. Again, something that coaches can correct. We continuously allow odd man chances & open looks in the slot area.

Anderson was clearing the slot at one point in the 3rd, essentially acting as a defenseman. This happened to Slafkovsky in a game prior to Christmas. Are you kidding me?

This coaching staff is not helping this team at all.
Yep, if MSL is your guy then surround him with experience. Robidas, Burrows, and Letowski aren’t good enough.

I said it when they hired MSL, it was a PR move. The lack of coaching experience is a big problem.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That may just have been HuGo posturing. Not sure if there's a benefit from a GM claiming there is a lot of interest in a player -- conceivably, other GMs in the running should have a pretty good pulse if the market is bearing it out. They're all talking to the same people in the end, it comes around.
I suspect not all GM's have a clue what's going on. How else do you explain MB's signing of Alzner and Hoffman? Could there possibly have been a competing offer for a a waste like Alzner?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I would love to make a political statement here but im sure id get banned.
The reality is that these privileged few parents have sons who are paid obscene amounts of money to play a little boys’ game while many here have grown adult children living in their basements who have little or no prospects. There. You have a political statement. Let the powers ban me.

Side benefit: players like Drouin and Hoffman had assists. MSL will be more tempted to not change those lines.
Thought Drouin had one of his better games.

Last edited:

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Just heard MSL’s presser. PK would be our big problem. Otherwise, playing defense in our zone. That’s it. Ouch...

If we fix those 2 problems, we still need 2 goals from CC and we still have the worst PP in the NHL. I see no end to these losses.

Bonus: MSL likes our forwards’ transition game tonight.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Just more growing pains during a rebuild. I don’t get why so many on here get all tied up in knots. They have holes everywhere and it will take a couple years before this gets much better.

It’s part of the process. If anyone thought Hugo could turn this around in one season you were fooling yourself.

The only criticism I have of the new regime is the coaching staff. All greenhorns with very little NHL coaching experience. IMO, they need an experienced staff that can implement decent systems. They lack skill and need structure to compensate. The inexperienced coaching staff is a problem

I don't know if you remember this, but MSL did say how much he hates systems and just wants to let players play their game. Well...i guess that's what you get!

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I can't remember the last time I saw such a collection of gutless wankers on this team. Looks like Cole and Anderson give a damn, Arbs.. anyone else? How about a bit of emotion? These guys don't mind getting waxed 6 games in a row? Doesn't show out there. If this team didn't have Cole, where would they be?

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Just heard MSL’s presser. PK would be our big problem. Otherwise, playing defense in our zone. That’s it. Ouch...

If we fix those 2 problems, we still need 2 goals from CC and we still have the worst PP in the NHL. I see no end to these losses.

You see the plan.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The reality is that these privileged few parents have sons who are paid obscene amounts of money to play a little boys’ game while many here have grown adult children living in their basements who have little or no prospects. There. You have a political statement from . Let the powers ban me.

Thought Drouin had one of his better games.
Naw I was thinking about making a Covid joke… :sarcasm:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

The PP will never improve until a QB is acquired, MSL & HuGo know this, it’s been putrid since Markov departed - just as it wasn’t Muller to blame it isn’t Burrows

The solution simply doesn’t exist on the roster, in Laval or within the prospect pool (maybe one day Mailloux might be part of the solution) - will need to be acquired externally via draft, trade or UFA

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Most people here don’t care about the losses. Its the HOW we’re losing, especially in regards to our vets and their contracts. This is a hot mess, and no easy way out.

Even with Bedard we’re ****** for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad