GDT: Habs @ Leafs (or Rocket @ Marlies) 7:30PM ET on RDS & TSN 2 & 4 (Both Teams' Lines Posted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You don't think Hudon is equipped for a 4th line, but Scherbak is? I like Scherbak quite a bit, but Hudon is a much better two way player and has already proved he can hang at the NHL level. DLR alos isn't that good.

I'm also fairly certain Kotkaniemi will make this team out of camp. It just seems like they are pushing for it. Peca would be the odd man out.

And McCarron should never be on an NHL roster. Spare part or not.

There's no way Peca is not making the opening roster after a camp like this.

If Kotka makes the team they'll probably move Domi back to wing and go with Danault, Kotka, Peca and Plek at center.

member 300185

This Leafs team, for the most part, won the Calder Cup last year. Lots of chemistry there already.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
You don't think Hudon is equipped for a 4th line, but Scherbak is? I like Scherbak quite a bit, but Hudon is a much better two way player and has already proved he can hang at the NHL level. DLR alos isn't that good.

I'm also fairly certain Kotkaniemi will make this team out of camp. It just seems like they are pushing for it. Peca would be the odd man out.

And McCarron should never be on an NHL roster. Spare part or not.

On Scherbak, that's where I'm betting on the upside to come through. It's not that he's outperformed Hudon yet but in the long run I believe Scherbak will be the better player. And playing with Plekanec and DLR would hide his warts.

DLR and McCarron I like as bigger bodies. Unpopular take but I think McCarron had a good game last showing. Though he was terrible in game 1 he's gotten better as camp went on. Claude used him a lot.

If I'm chosing between Peca and Hudon I'm taking Peca.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't looked at the roster but based on my experience, roster strength doesn't have much correlation with winning or losing exhibition games. I've seen the weaker rosters get pummelled. I've also seen weaker rosters win.

For the vets, it's about getting some fluidity back in their game, but they aren't exactly going to play hard with a roster spot locked up. (Unless you are a guy like Gallagher who doesn't know how to take a night off).

It's really a time for the youngsters to show where they are at, and whether they can compete for a spot.

It's always more fun to win, but the result on the scoreboard is trivial relative to the performance of the prospects.

I know the habs are 3-1, but I could care less about that. What makes this preseason a success is how some of the young guys look led by kotkaniemi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How is that possible, on such a shallow roster? A returning player like Hudon has the edge, they won't judge him based on a handful of meaningless pre-season games IMHO.
You have to think that with one complete season under his belt and a good off season of training that he will improve. He can hit 45 points his season with the same amount of ice time as last season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
what players do you think are going to be cut and who can make it?

My list of cuts:
- Shinkaruk
- Froese
- Agostino
- Valiev
- Moravcik (no waivers required)
- Sklenicka (no waivers required)
- Chaput (he may end up staying, but will ultimately end up in Laval by the end of camp)
- Lindgren (no waivers required)
- Deprés (released from PTO)

Also keep in mind, Tyszka, Verbeek, and Taormina are still listed on the Habs camp, but are injured, and they were not part of the players sent to the Laval Rocket camp. So I would add those three as being among the cuts. Tyszka back to Junior (Seattle) and Verbeek and Taormina to Laval.

Some I'm still not 100% sure they will get cut, but I would:

- McCarron
- Ward (released from PTO)
- Brett Lernout

After all these cuts, they go from 43 players to 28.

With Shaw, Deslauriers, and Weber injured and not taking part in camp, then you're down to 25 players (15 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies).

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
My list of cuts:
- Shinkaruk
- Froese
- Agostino
- Valiev
- Chaput (he may end up staying, but will ultimately end up in Laval by the end of camp)

Also keep in mind, Tyszka, Verbeek, and Taormina are still listed on the Habs camp, but are injured, and they were not part of the players sent to the Laval Rocket camp. So I would add those three as being among the cuts.

- McCarron
- Brett Lernout

With Shaw, Deslauriers, and Weber injured and not taking part in camp, then you're down to 25 players (15 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies).

I thought he did fine and should be a great veteran presence for the kids, what makes you think he should be let go?

member 300185

Aside from maybe Kapanen, that's the Toronto Marlies. They didn't even add newcomer Ozighanov.

They did the same last year when we had some regulars and they still won, so it should be a hard played interesting game to watch.
I dunno. The Marlies have some good chemistry for sure, after all, they did win the Calder Cup, but the habs have the two best players on the ice tonight in Koka and SuzieQ. Should be fun.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I thought he did fine and should be a great veteran presence for the kids, what makes you think he should be let go?

Yea I appreciate what he's done so far. And I can definitely see them keeping him around. But I'm not sold on him being offered a contract. I'd rather see him released.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Because we have too many forwards? Would you waive Scherback or DLR just to sign Ward? That would be extremely stupid.

Sign him for Laval if he's willing to go there.

member 300185

Yes I would. You will notice that many of thre players i took were have not been in the nhl 7 years ago.

You mean Tavares out scored Matthews , Scheiflie, MaDavid, and Pasternac over the last 7 years. Ya dont say.

Kane broke 100 points and won a Hart trophy. Tavares ever do either? Nope , nor will he.

Its a matter of preference anyways. They are all all stars. I know Babcock had JT on the fourth line last Team Canada he played for. So there are more then a few guys Mike ranks higher than him too.
This post is a mess. You don't know JT won't crack 100 points, your crystal ball is just a disco lamp you got for a bargain at a yard sale. Sorry to break it to you. And did you not see the lineup Team Canada went with? Who could he have supplanted from that team without weakening the 4th line?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
My list of cuts:
- Shinkaruk
- Froese
- Agostino
- Valiev

Also keep in mind, Tyszka, Verbeek, and Taormina are still listed on the Habs camp, but are injured, and they were not part of the players sent to the Laval Rocket camp. So I would add those three as being among the cuts. Tyszka back to Junior (Seattle) and Verbeek and Taormina to Laval.

- McCarron
- Brett Lernout

thx, for the Leafs its a lil easier to answer. Basically everyone playing tonight minus McBackup, Kap, Lindholm and Johansson will prob be sent down.
I can nail down most of our expected roster
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
?????-Kadri-Brown
????-Lindholm-???
Kap,Johansson, Enis and Levio are the 4 guys fighting to fill out the last 3 spots.

On the back end
Reilly-Hainsey
Gards-Zaits
????-????
I fully expect Ozi to land the #3 rhd spot and with Dermott tweaking his shoulder the #3 LHD looks to be Rosen's to lose.
goalies
Anderson
McBackup

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Because we have too many forwards? Would you waive Scherback or DLR just to sign Ward? That would be extremely stupid.

Sign him for Laval if he's willing to go there.

Ward would sit half the games when the team is healthy

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
On Scherbak, that's where I'm betting on the upside to come through. It's not that he's outperformed Hudon yet but in the long run I believe Scherbak will be the better player. And playing with Plekanec and DLR would hide his warts.

DLR and McCarron I like as bigger bodies. Unpopular take but I think McCarron had a good game last showing. Though he was terrible in game 1 he's gotten better as camp went on. Claude used him a lot.

If I'm chosing between Peca and Hudon I'm taking Peca.
Even if Scherbak has more potential.. Putting him with Plekanec and DLR will kill any and all potential he had.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Even if Scherbak has more potential.. Putting him with Plekanec and DLR will kill any and all potential he had.

I fail to see your point. You would put Scherbak where then? I wouldnt be opposed to him on the third line with Lehkonen and Peca either with Byron swapping to the 4th. Or are you saying put him on waivers?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I fail to see your point. You would put Scherbak where then? I wouldnt be opposed to him on the third line with Lehkonen and Peca either with Byron swapping to the 4th. Or are you saying put him on waivers?
Maybe the third. There's zero chance I waive Hudon or Scherbak for McCarron

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The line Plekanec centers is where wingers go to purge......for years now.

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'd have no problem if we waived McCarron. I dont think he's worth anything via trade and he's not good enough to have to waive someone else to keep him up.

If he clears, cool. If not, meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad