GDT: Habs @ Leafs - Oct 2, 7pm RDS. SN1 (preseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Not impressed at all by the leafs' big name prospects: Nylander, Marner, Rielly were nothing special, Matthews was better. Zaitsev tho... what a player!!! We sucked as expected but still hung out with them. I thought Lehkonen and Condon were good. Sergachev had some nice flashes and some stupid moments.The rest were pretty meh, to put it mildly. DD as the trigger man on the 6 on 3 was vintage Therrien :laugh:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
its not as if hudon, carr, scherbak, dd, etc were working hard either...
An nhler playing at 50% should still be way better than an ahler

An NHLer at 50% is better than an AHLer? NO WAY... NO CHANCE.

Are NHLers better? of course.

But the difference isn't as big as you are saying. Not close to it.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes quickly now! Extend him. ( ;

Wasn't that one of the main points against the dumb Therrien?

He hate's young guys, he never gave them chances, he kills talent ...

Seriously , get a grip , stop always twisting things to make a point for god sake!

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So can we at least stop for a while with the argument that MT never gives chances to young players?

No its preseason and we already seen he put Serge on the bench most of the game. He is following his pattern. 'This is my design"-Hannibal

Its not like he had any vets out there other than the ones that ALL got tons of icetime. Petry, Beau, DD(despite not doing much in the second with all the time we spent on the PK).
DD-18:37 with 4:26 PP and 0:46 PK
Ghetto and Carr approx 19 minutes each-who played a lot in the NHL last year. So how was he not playing his vets again??

Petry 22 minutes
Patteryn just over 24 minutes
Nate over 25 min
Redmond getting 20 minutes
Barbd playing 18:32
Serge 14:38

Top 3 were regulars last year, redmond was signed for 2 years and barbs is on the outside trying to win a spot as a vet with 133 games played. (LOL sportsnet "The veteran Patteryn" 53 games played)
Nope looks the same as always. They had to determine who stays up and who goes down with potential so they played the kids. They should do it now because they never did despite saying so last year. And yet it was almost entirely 'vets' caps with call ups from last year that just got all the ice time.

As an aside I don't like having to surf extra menus at NHL.com. Might be more mobile friendly but it sucks hard for a PC.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
My guess is that they gave soon to be cut guys extra icetime. They really need to give Hudon a better look though, hes approaching decision time. My suspicion is they already made their mind.

The AHL guys have been mostly disappointing aside from a spark here and there. Lehkonen has a great stick check and ability to get into scoring chance situations. I think he still needs a year but hes probably the best forward prospect based on preseason.

McCarron showed some nice things but hes not a NHLer yet. Guys like Mitchell and Danault are ahead no doubt.

Maybe its drafting, maybe its AHL development but prospects just arent as good in camp as they used to be IMO.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Not impressed at all by the leafs' big name prospects: Nylander, Marner, Rielly were nothing special, Matthews was better. Zaitsev tho... what a player!!! We sucked as expected but still hung out with them. I thought Lehkonen and Condon were good. Sergachev had some nice flashes and some stupid moments.The rest were pretty meh, to put it mildly. DD as the trigger man on the 6 on 3 was vintage Therrien :laugh:

Would like to remind the people that think he will be playing a much reduced role this year in the 12-14 minute range with little to no PP..Yes it was preseason, yes we have AHLers-would that not indicate the need to see how they can play on the PP instead of DD for almost 5 minutes of PP time including the entirety of a 6 on 3(which still only counts as a single PP/ PP time).

The love affair that will endure always.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No its preseason and we already seen he put Serge on the bench most of the game. He is following his pattern. 'This is my design"-Hannibal

Its not like he had any vets out there other than the ones that ALL got tons of icetime. Petry, Beau, DD(despite not doing much in the second with all the time we spent on the PK).
DD-18:37 with 4:26 PP and 0:46 PK
Ghetto and Carr approx 19 minutes each-who played a lot in the NHL last year. So how was he not playing his vets again??

Petry 22 minutes
Patteryn just over 24 minutes
Nate over 25 min
Redmond getting 20 minutes
Barbd playing 18:32
Serge 14:38

Top 3 were regulars last year, redmond was signed for 2 years and barbs is on the outside trying to win a spot as a vet with 133 games played. (LOL sportsnet "The veteran Patteryn" 53 games played)
Nope looks the same as always. They had to determine who stays up and who goes down with potential so they played the kids. They should do it now because they never did despite saying so last year. And yet it was almost entirely 'vets' caps with call ups from last year that just got all the ice time.

As an aside I don't like having to surf extra menus at NHL.com. Might be more mobile friendly but it sucks hard for a PC.
So your point is that Sergachev and all the rookies was supposed to get more minutes than NHL regulars?

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
My guess is that they gave soon to be cut guys extra icetime. They really need to give Hudon a better look though, hes approaching decision time. My suspicion is they already made their mind.

I know I made mine. Once more he didn't stand out at all. Not seeing anything with him. Same with Ghetto, time to move on to some other prospects.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You may be right.

Yet our genius General Manager had him as our starter last season.

For the life of me I don't understand how Budaj lost his job to Tokarski, who in turn randomly was replaced by a rookie who showed what to get the job??

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I wasn't around to watch the game, and I don't know the score (not that it matters)

But I really want to know how sergechev, and lekhonen looked. Any thoughts?

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Carr, Ghetto and Koivu Jr will be staying. From what Mononcle Mike said tonight, the Finn is starting the year with the team. Since they're in a 'win now' mindset, I see Mac being sent to the IceCaps, with the rest of the yougins.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So your point is that Sergachev and all the rookies was supposed to get more minutes than NHL regulars?

If these games are to properly evaluate them in different roles and circumstances. Yes.
Its not like the guys that had all the minutes had a fire under their *****. Despite carr and dd getting points with the man advantage(but not a powerplay) they looked pretty disengaged along with ghetto. Most of the other forwards looked like effort was being given-in comparisons.

By all accounts until Serge's second period mistake he was on course to have a pretty solid game-then after that benched . Maybe MT needs to make the russian a better person.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
For the life of me I don't understand how Budaj lost his job to Tokarski, who in turn randomly was replaced by a rookie who showed what to get the job??

Condon had a almost perfect preseason that year...the problem is he only had 1 full year in AHL prior. He eventually ended up being thrown into a trial by fire starter role. He was not ready and who knows what his career would be like had he remained a backup last season.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Sergachev will learn to show Michel a bit more of Dat Rispek if he wants to play in OT!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If these games are to properly evaluate them in different roles and circumstances. Yes.
Its not like the guys that had all the minutes had a fire under their *****. Despite carr and dd getting points with the man advantage(but not a powerplay) they looked pretty disengaged along with ghetto. Most of the other forwards looked like effort was being given-in comparisons.

By all accounts until Serge's second period mistake he was on course to have a pretty solid game-then after that benched . Maybe MT needs to make the russian a better person.

Do you think the brass making decisions saw Sergachev and all the other guys for the first time?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Do you think the brass making decisions saw Sergachev and all the other guys for the first time?

With this group its hard to tell. Must of us think he should get his 9 games at least. But I will state with 90% certainty that he will not get a single game given who we still have for D at 6-8. Every game is important and MT is always out to win(or whatever he thinks is required for that) so he won't risk it on an 18 YO rookie no matter how good he may seem. Chuck was an exception because it was a half season, he was new, lockout, new manager, a lot differences that year.

The foxhole to china is pretty deep at this point and MT feels as secure as a tick that has found a three legged dog. I sincerely doubt MT sees him playing this year with his lapses he had in this game alone. He is not nearly D responsible enough or grindy enough for MT. MT isn't sure Nate should have been playing more than 13 minutes last season. I doubt he views Serge as superior to that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Th...they benched Sergachev in a pre-season game for one mistake in a meaningless game?

LOL.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
With this group its hard to tell. Must of us think he should get his 9 games at least. But I will state with 90% certainty that he will not get a single game given who we still have for D at 6-8. Every game is important and MT is always out to win(or whatever he thinks is required for that) so he won't risk it on an 18 YO rookie no matter how good he may seem. Chuck was an exception because it was a half season, he was new, lockout, new manager, a lot differences that year.

The foxhole to china is pretty deep at this point and MT feels as secure as a tick that has found a three legged dog. I sincerely doubt MT sees him playing this year with his lapses he had in this game alone. He is not nearly D responsible enough or grindy enough for MT. MT isn't sure Nate should have been playing more than 13 minutes last season. I doubt he views Serge as superior to that.

Really hard to read your message ...

I love Misha, but we have to face the reality , guaranteed contracts ya know.

Who exactly do you think we should scratch just to give him a couple of games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad