GDT: Habs @ Leafs - Oct 2, 7pm RDS. SN1 (preseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Th...they benched Sergachev in a pre-season game for one mistake in a meaningless game?

LOL.

They really didn't. Although i'm usually the conductor of the "Michel Therrien is a terrible coach and shouldn't even be in the NHL" train, he didn't "bench" Serge.

The truth is that the Habs took a slew of penalties in the 2nd period tonight. Therrien did not use Sergachev on the PK tonight, which is probably because of the potency of the Leafs offensive talent (relative to preseason norms) tonight. They basically dressed their season opening line up. Its understandable given the quality of the Leaf's lineup and the weak nature of our own lineup that Sergachev not be tasked with killing penalties tonight. That is why he didn't get much ice time in the 2nd period.

Would I have liked to see Sergachev in overtime? Absolutely. I would have definitely used him in that situation because it is preseason. But, I understand why he wasn't used. Obviously Michel was not comfortable putting an 18 year old defensemen on the ice in a 3-on-3 situation, especially considering he would be the only defenseman on the ice in such a situation. That is high risk. With that said, it is preseason. I would have used him. If the Habs did not spend so much time short handed, Sergachev's ice time would have been more in line with the rest of the defense corps.

I would honestly be shocked if they sent Sergachev down before the end of training camp. I really doubt they would do that. If he's getting cut, he will be among the very last to go.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They really didn't. Although i'm usually the conductor of the "Michel Therrien is a terrible coach and shouldn't even be in the NHL" train, he didn't "bench" Serge.

The truth is that the Habs took a slew of penalties in the 2nd period tonight. Therrien did not use Sergachev on the PK tonight, which is probably because of the potency of the Leafs offensive talent (relative to preseason norms) tonight. They basically dressed their season opening line up. Its understandable given the quality of the Leaf's lineup and the weak nature of our own lineup that Sergachev not be tasked with killing penalties tonight. That is why he didn't get much ice time in the 2nd period.

Would I have liked to see Sergachev in overtime? Absolutely. I would have definitely used him in that situation because it is preseason. But, I understand why he wasn't used. Obviously Michel was not comfortable putting an 18 year old defensemen on the ice in a 3-on-3 situation, especially considering he would be the only defenseman on the ice in such a situation. That is high risk. With that said, it is preseason. I would have used him. If the Habs did not spend so much time short handed, Sergachev's ice time would have been more in line with the rest of the defense corps.

I would honestly be shocked if they sent Sergachev down before the end of training camp. I really doubt they would do that. If he's getting cut, he will be among the very last to go.

For every 100 posts that is here, we see one that actually makes sense :handclap:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Sergachev will definitely get some games at the start of the season, if nothing more than to give him a taste of the NHL. It might also be good to rest players like Markov, Emelyn, and Weber who played intense hockey in the tournament. One gave of for each of them wouldn't kill them. But, unless Sergachev will play top 4, which would probably mean we traded a D, I see him playing out his junior year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Sergachev will definitely get some games at the start of the season, if nothing more than to give him a taste of the NHL. It might also be good to rest players like Markov, Emelyn, and Weber who played intense hockey in the tournament. One gave of for each of them wouldn't kill them. But, unless Sergachev will play top 4, which would probably mean we traded a D, I see him playing out his junior year.

Sergachev is not getting any games , stop falling in love with prospects.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
Sergachev is not getting any games , stop falling in love with prospects.

From what we've seen so far, Serge is not ready for the NHL. With that being said, he has shown to be a quick learner in the past. Given this, I would not be surprised to see Bergevin give him a 9 game trial to see where he is at the end of these 9 games.

You can definitely see the potential and the confidence in his play but you can also see he needs time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Is 9 games plus a few pre-season game enough? If I was Habs management, I would be curious to know.

I think the smart move is to play the hell out of him in the last 2 remaining game as part of a good NHL lineup and see how he does.

But then, the question would be: Who does he replace? I don't think any of Pateryn, Markov, Emelin, Petry, Beaulieu or Weber deserve to sit for Serge.

We would need to play with 7 D, a system which I personally dislike.

Unless he is an absolute beast out there in the last 2 games, I think he gets sent down.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
From what we've seen so far, Serge is not ready for the NHL. With that being said, he has shown to be a quick learner in the past. Given this, I would not be surprised to see Bergevin give him a 9 game trial to see where he is at the end of these 9 games.

You can definitely see the potential and the confidence in his play but you can also see he needs time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Is 9 games plus a few pre-season game enough? If I was Habs management, I would be curious to know.

I think the smart move is to play the hell out of him in the last 2 remaining game as part of a good NHL lineup and see how he does.

But then, the question would be: Who does he replace? I don't think any of Pateryn, Markov, Emelin, Petry, Beaulieu or Weber deserve to sit for Serge.

Unless he is an absolute beast out there in the last 2 games, I think he gets sent down.

That's the problem, as good as he has looked , we already have a strong brigade of D . If we were a team in reconstruction , he would definitely made the team.

We're contending , not the best time to use rookies.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

This is exactly what I think of the situation.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lol Sergachev is not getting any games. Are you kidding yourselves? He's clearly not ready. There's definitely talent there, but he's making a lot of stupid errors. He pretty much shot a puck at Condon at one point because of pressure. This team is trying to make the playoffs after last year's debacle. There's no time or need to play an 18 year old you know won't make the team. He has not played better than any of the vets, so who will you bench? It's normal to get excited for prospects, but be realistic.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lol Sergachev is not getting any games. Are you kidding yourselves? He's clearly not ready. There's definitely talent there, but he's making a lot of stupid errors. He pretty much shot a puck at Condon at one point because of pressure. This team is trying to make the playoffs after last year'a debacle. There's no time or need to play an 18 year old you know won't make the team. He has not played better than any of the vets, so who will you bench? It's normal to get excited for prospects, but be realistic.

Agreed. Makes no sense to keep him up this season.

Give him a another year in junior and look for him to make the team next season.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Lol Sergachev is not getting any games. Are you kidding yourselves? He's clearly not ready. There's definitely talent there, but he's making a lot of stupid errors. He pretty much shot a puck at Condon at one point because of pressure. This team is trying to make the playoffs after last year's debacle. There's no time or need to play an 18 year old you know won't make the team. He has not played better than any of the vets, so who will you bench? It's normal to get excited for prospects, but be realistic.

Pateryn/Beaulieu have been excellent so far, it'd be a slap in the face to them to keep up Sergachev mainly based on his potential.

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
That's the problem, as good as he has looked , we already have a strong brigade of D . If we were a team in reconstruction , he would definitely made the team.

we were "contending" at this time last year too, how did that work out?

SlimDiggity

May 24, 2013
We were definitely dominated, but for anyone who thought Lehkonen wasn't good last night the numbers would say different (if you're into that type of thing).

xLsjlDL.png

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We are not contending with that winger depth and 3rd line center.

They'll need to try something (BigMac and/or Lehkonen) or make a trade at the deadline for us to be contending.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
My guess is that they gave soon to be cut guys extra icetime. They really need to give Hudon a better look though, hes approaching decision time. My suspicion is they already made their mind.

The AHL guys have been mostly disappointing aside from a spark here and there. Lehkonen has a great stick check and ability to get into scoring chance situations. I think he still needs a year but hes probably the best forward prospect based on preseason.

McCarron showed some nice things but hes not a NHLer yet. Guys like Mitchell and Danault are ahead no doubt.

Maybe its drafting, maybe its AHL development but prospects just arent as good in camp as they used to be IMO.

McCarron only player with scrubs during the preseason games..... We can't tell for sure if he's not an NHL'er yet. I think you need to give him a game with guy like Byron/Shaw before saying that Danault is ahead of him. McCarron have been really solid so far in the preseason even through yesterday the guy look a little bit tired for playing pretty much every game so far over 15m a game.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
I am not opposed to sending down McCarron and allowing him to develop his offensive game to the point where it needs to be. I think the Canadiens envision him as their future third line C; maybe as early as next season. In order for him to be that, he has to be able to chip in 25-40 pts a season.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Well, I just ventured over to TSN.ca to read the game story. What I saw was 500 words on the Leafs (about 400 of which were on Matthews) and at the very bottom was a one-line list of the Montreal goal scorers.

How do they even pretend to be a national media outlet?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Well, I just ventured over to TSN.ca to read the game story. What I saw was 500 words on the Leafs (about 400 of which were on Matthews) and at the very bottom was a one-line list of the Montreal goal scorers.

How do they even pretend to be a national media outlet?

I wish there was just one major English Canadian sports outlet that didn't treat the Leafs as the center of the universe. The lengths that TSN goes to pump up the Leafs and generate hype around them is quite sad.

Even Sportsnet is a total Leaf propaganda machine.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I wish there was just one major English Canadian sports outlet that didn't treat the Leafs as the center of the universe. The lengths that TSN goes to pump up the Leafs and generate hype around them is quite sad.

Even Sportsnet is a total Leaf propaganda machine.
Frustrating for sure...joke of a franchise, made the playoffs, once in what, 11 yrs?? And the coverage they get, is brutal...they are the most celebrated 30th overall team in the league...

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
so that's what it feels like to have a likeable coach...

haha thanks for sharing, amazing post-game presser for sure. funny thing, at the very end end, Babcock replies "skill" as the major difference between this year's team and last year's team, and to me it almost sounded like having more skill was not necessarily a good thing from his perspective :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad