Confirmed with Link: Habs invite Joel Ward to training camp

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Under Bergevin, we went from having vets......to cleaning the team, transitioning, and give the team to young vets as they would lead this team to the promised land.......to having to bring some vets to help those young vets 'cause they needed vet help......for those vets to be let go........for the young vets to also be let go......to start over with kids......who need old vets to help them......

And somehow, for some, but fortunatley enough, less and less people, it makes sense...lol

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Some people are acting like this is a contract. It's just a PTO, lots of guys sign these and then don't get signed for the actual roster for the season. Even without Ward, we have like 15 forwards competing for 12 spots so I strongly doubt we'll sign him.

Reactions: Tighthead

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Some people are acting like this is a contract. It's just a PTO, lots of guys sign these and then don't get signed for the actual roster for the season. Even without Ward, we have like 15 forwards competing for 12 spots so I strongly doubt we'll sign him.
The problem is Julien likes his vets much more than he does kids. He has a tendency to go with them over kids often and having very low tolerance for learning curves. Bergevin has also shown he's inclined to let Julien have his way while also sticking his nose in the deployment and usage of our young players.

That's what's causing most of us to worry. They'll end up keeping him over one of the kids even if he's not better simply because he's a vet. We've done that quite a bit so it's not exactly unprecedented or unwarranted fear.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
6ee.jpg

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Joel Ward is a great guy to have around this team during a rebuild. He can occupy a roster spot as a scratched player for most of the season and let kids know what it takes to put the puck in the net in the playoffs. He's done as an NHLer but better him in the press box than a guy better fit in the AHL.

Every locker has liked having Joel. He just doesn't have much left as a player. If this is a tryout and if he doesn't have it he moves into a scout role or a player personnel role this club will be better for it.

Also look at the 4RW spot and ask yourself if you want Froese there again.

Since we're gonna suck anyway I wouldn't mind having him on the roster. Hopefully he can move into a development role or something like you said after he retires.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The problem is Julien likes his vets much more than he does kids. He has a tendency to go with them over kids often and having very low tolerance for learning curves. Bergevin has also shown he's inclined to let Julien have his way while also sticking his nose in the deployment and usage of our young players.

That's what's causing most of us to worry. They'll end up keeping him over one of the kids even if he's not better simply because he's a vet. We've done that quite a bit so it's not exactly unprecedented or unwarranted fear.

Keeping veterans over waiver-exempt young kids is different than losing young players on waivers for free to keep a guy that's 37 though.

There's no indication that Bergevin would be willing to lose a player like Peca or Scherbak for free on waivers just to sign Ward.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Sign him! As long as the plan is to let our rookies develop in the AHL during the 19/20 season without knee jerk call ups. Let Laval develop a winning team and “attitude”. If we do this right? Laval will be a developmental power house.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sign him! As long as the plan is to let our rookies develop in the AHL during the 19/20 season without knee jerk call ups. Let Laval develop a winning team and “attitude”. If we do this right? Laval will be a developmental power house.
We already have 200 forwards that are younger versions of Ward, we have enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We had so many of those ''good leaders'' look where is this freaking team now

go away old man

Like this 25 year season ticket fan said as he ditched his tickets this summer -- enough with the good guy milk drinkers.

Too much sanitization comes with its own set of problems. You can't win if everyone is a good guy. Nothing but a Marc Bergevin red herring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Attitude is the new buzz word but still in love wit karakter! The foxhole although tattered still remembers.:laugh:

No worries, there are plenty of other slogans and terms that are so ambiguous that they can be made to mean anything. All the GM has to do is to say that some of his players failed to meet some immeasurable standard and that they need to go. And boom, with that will be born next year's new buzzword.

The only time they really had a slogan that actually meant something and could be ascertained, was when they had the "No Excuses" sign. And look at what happened to it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No worries, there are plenty of other slogans and terms that are so ambiguous that they can be made to mean anything. All the GM has to do is to say that some of his players failed to meet some immeasurable standard and that they need to go. And boom, with that will be born next year's new buzzword.

The only time they really had a slogan that actually meant something and could be ascertained, was when they had the "No Excuses" sign. And look at what happened to it.

I posted this years ago but I will remind you, the "No Excuses" sign was part of the Jon Scott deal. The "if I told you, it would be be too much for you to understand" trade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I posted this years ago but I will remind you, the "No Excuses" sign was part of the Jon Scott deal. The "if I told you, it would be be too much for you to understand" trade.

Yeah. That was a subset of the general deflective policy about how Bergevin has access to critical information that fans don't and thus we can't possibly understand the motivations behind his brain farts.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah. That was a subset of the general deflective policy about how Bergevin has access to critical information that fans don't and thus we can't possibly understand the motivations behind his brain farts.
" I am not sorry that we are where we are with this franchise, we never wanted JT because we realistically knew that this team was not good enough", I joke but we are seeing quite a shift from just last year lol. The bottom line is that the disaster artiste thought that Karl Alzner was more valuable than Radulov and Markov, Weber better than Subban and I could go on and on but you already know this.

The appeal to authority is not a new concept, you cannot argue against leadership no matter how shitty it might be. The loyal dog type of personality.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I got told off by my son, it’s Joel Ward do NOT diss him . Difficult to see where he would fit with our abundance of wingers unless a trade is coming (better not be Gally)

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Bad move i don't like it at all ... Hudon and Scherbak are 5th on the depth chart LW-RW , too many players on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad