Confirmed with Link: Habs invite Joel Ward to training camp

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
?????

Can we see the games and wait until the end of the camp to make a judgment ?
Ok since Bergevin has a viable plan right? My opinion is that Bergevin just Wings it as he goes along. He was probably sitting on the toilet when he said to himself - “more 4th Liners might be the answer, maybe Joel Ward will come to camp”

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Heres a guy who worked his tail off and went the Usports (CIS) path to the show... Cant see him making the team but a great influence of hard work pays off

Reactions: Chris Cutter

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
If he makes the team could be a valuable trade piece...

People love Ward. I know a guy who played at UPEI with him and he speaks so highly of him as a person let alone a hockey player.

Reactions: Miller Time

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why?

We already have an abundance of wingers.

Tatar - Galagher
Domi - Armia
Byron - Lehkonen
Hudon - Shaw
DLo - Scherbak
McCarron

I don't see the Habs offering a contract to Ward unless it is to play for the Rocket.

Is that our forward list? Why are people so mad at Ward then lol... Deslauriers is 27, McCarron won't make it to the NHL, Shaw's done, Hudon 24, Armia 25 , Lekhonen ... the best season point-wise is Armia on this list with 29 points on the Jets who are a way better team than Montreal.

For sure they are "young", I would keep some of them for cheap on the bottom 6... but even if we lose 1 to the waivers what do we lose? A 20-30 points player? How difficult is it to find another one lol

We could use Byron as a trade bait considering his last two seasons, Sherbak should be given a real chance to prove himself on the top 6 this year while Tatar Gallagher and Domi form the core of the offense (lol).

So yeah bring Ward for the AHL to lead the new generation of prosect that hopefully will look better than the last crop

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he makes the team could be a valuable trade piece...

People love Ward. I know a guy who played at UPEI with him and he speaks so highly of him as a person let alone a hockey player.

Ha, so that explains it. He's got what Bergevin claims he values the most:

2eozdw.jpg

Reactions: David Suzuki

Jul 6, 2016
Ward is a real professional. Always in top shape. Can still score some and surely can forecheck and backcheck very efficiently. Ideal #12-#13 or #14 player.

But he has to prove it once more during this Camp to get a new contract.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Nothing against Joel Ward but... why the hell is our GM going after that kind of player? I know it's just PTO. Then again, we couldn't possibly need a guy like Ward.

I just don't understand the rationale behind. Like when we gave PTOs to guys like Streit or Hemsky.

My only conclusion is that Bergevin sees some value there. And that is kinda troubling.
My guess is that it's Julien who mostly sees something in Ward. After all, Ward was a beast for the Caps a few years back when they knocked out Julien's Bruins in a playoff series, with Ward scoring the series-winning overtime goal (in a game 7 if I remember correctly). That is quite a few years ago, but if Ward is Julien's kind of player, then Julien is probably hoping some of whatever he has left will rub off on younger players.

It is just a PTO, but I agree with most others here that wherever Ward might slot in, I'd rather they go with a player at the start of his career than one at its very end.

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Good veteran presence for this young group of players at camp. I don't see him making the team tough.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Joel Ward is a great guy to have around this team during a rebuild. He can occupy a roster spot as a scratched player for most of the season and let kids know what it takes to put the puck in the net in the playoffs. He's done as an NHLer but better him in the press box than a guy better fit in the AHL.

Every locker has liked having Joel. He just doesn't have much left as a player. If this is a tryout and if he doesn't have it he moves into a scout role or a player personnel role this club will be better for it.

Also look at the 4RW spot and ask yourself if you want Froese there again.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Don't mind it at all...

Only becomes an issue if Julien plays him top 9min, but as a 10-12min 4th liner? I like what he could bring to the roster as a 12-13th forward.

Especially if we can ship guys like , Byron, froese out for picks...

Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Says McGuire about Ward:
  • Good person, good leader, can teach young players, never causes problems.
  • Works every single day but at 37 his best days are behind him.
  • Did it the hard way, had varied experiences. Could be a coach or in management some day.
Confirms what a lot of our posters suggested about how Ward was brought in for his intangibles.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Says McGuire about Ward:
  • Good person, good leader, can teach young players, never causes problems.
  • Works every single day but at 37 his best days are behind him.
  • Did it the hard way, had varied experiences. Could be a coach or in management some day.
Confirms what a lot of our posters suggested about how Ward was brought in for his intangibles.

It has worked well for Bergevin in the past /s

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He’s a great playoff performer who will draw interest at the deadline. Could get a 4th or 5th rounder for just a PTO.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I am rooting for the guy. Hopefully he can find a role on the 4th line and get us a pick in the draft.

Pleks/Ward/Byron/Petry could be good assets to pick up a few more picks for this year and next.

Pierre said 2019 and 2020 are big years for drafts so the team should load up with as many darts as it can.

Reactions: PhysicX

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Aren’t PTOs often about being able to ice the veteran minimum for preseason games?

They likely needed a warm body and he is as good as anyone.

Reactions: sharks9 and KKWG11

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Aren’t PTOs often about being able to ice the veteran minimum for preseason games?

They likely needed a warm body and he is as good as anyone.
Makes sense, because at 37-38 with the kind of last season he had behind him, there's just no way he makes this team.

Maybe they give him some player-coach position on a 2 way in Laval, like they did for Bouchard a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad